Fischer Audio FA Series Appreciation Thread
Oct 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kendric

100+ Head-Fier
I bought the Fischer Audio FA-003 a week ago after reading up LFF's Reviews on them. And upon first hearing them out of the box i have to say i am really surprised!

For something of a reasonable price range, These Cans definitely says they are no slouches even though they were fresh out of the package

And Researches here and there on the web tells me that the FA-003 bears two sonic threshold, The First one after its 50th Hour of Burn In AND a Major one after its 100th Hour of Burn in.

I am burning them in at the moment and will probably reach its 100th hour around next monday. I cant wait! (P.S. Do You Own the Fischer Audio Cans be it the big or small ones? If Yes which one do you own?)

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 17
I am really surprised that nobody else has has contributed to this thread yet. I also own a pair of FA-003s. I've had them for over 4 months. At the beginning I actually didn't like them that much, but from the very first listen, I knew that they had potential and would improve with burn in. I was right - I got over 100 hours on them now and the sound seems to have improved significantly, at least to my ears. For the price of $179, they are definitely one of the best price/performance headphones out there. They easily outperform my Sennheiser HD555s and pretty much any other full sized can I've heard in that price range. There are some headphones that can match the FA-003 in some ways, but fall short in others. The FA-003 on the other hand, is an all-arounder - they do everything well. But I feel that they also really excel at some things like timbre and dynamics - the sound is completely uncompressed and real instruments and vocals sound very realistic like they should with little to no coloration. That is quite a feat Fischer was able to pull of with their cans at this price range! Usually the sound qualities that I am hearing with FA-003, I've only previously heard in reference cans, costing $300+.

To be honest, I am not much into full sized headphones. I've auditioned many, but have actually owned only a few, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. However, I am also a big believer in reference quality IEMs. I've owned several IEMs which I consider to be every bit as good as expensive hi-fi full sized headphones, such as Shure SE530, Earsonics SM3, Ortofon e-Q7, Hifiman RE0 and Q-jays. I've compared SM3 and Q-jays to FA-003 and found FA-003 technically superior to both in many aspects. Those who don't believe that IEMs can compete with similarly priced full sized cans won't find this surprising and significant, but for those who, like me, believe that great IEMs are in no way inferior to similarly priced cans, this is quite a feat. In particular, the SM3 is a $350-$400 IEM that I think puts some full sized reference headphones to shame in sound quality and yet compared to FA-003, it sounds somewhat compressed in dynamic range and clearly sounds too much on the warm side to be able to reproduce accurate timbre. FA-003 sound is more open and realistic in many aspects, even despite the fact that in some ways like detail resolution and speed it may not be quite on par with SM3's naturally fast and resolving armature drivers. Compared to Q-jays, which is another very impressive IEM, FA-003 also comes out on top overall. Now, Q-jays are not as good as SM3 technically, but they are still great IEMs and still beat most headphones in their price range IMO. FA-003 sounds better not only technically, but in many ways musically. Q-jays sound obviously grainy and dry by comparison and do not have the dynamic range and accurate timbre of FA-003 either, especially in the higher frequencies.

But great sound alone can't make a man happy. Fortunately, FA-003 also mostly excels in ergonomics, thanks to the wonderful, high quality leather earpads which are very deep, provide excellent isolation and are very comfortable. The headphones are also nice and lightweight, but made of high quality, durable plastic. They also have replaceable cables so you don't have to worry about doing a recable in case the cable decides to die on you. Finally, they are also reasonably easy to drive. At 64 Ohms, they are neither too sensitive, nor require an amp. They don't hiss at all with any sources and they still sound good out of most portable players and onboard soundcards. At the same time, they have a lot of potential and surely benefit from more powerful, higher quality sources. Now, the only real complaint that I have is that they don't fold and also creak a bit when I move my head around. But that's not much of an issue, since these are not really meant for portable use anyways. But that being said, I still have no problem using them outside for on my commute to university and back. The isolation is great even on the subway and I don't have to turn my music up too loud to be able to hear it. Also, the sound is just so fantastic that I forget about the otherwise somewhat annoying creaking sounds that the headband is making when I walk with the cans on my head. They also clamp sufficiently so that they don't slide off the head (well, at least my head) but don't clamp too hard to make them uncomfortable either. Finally, I think FA-003s actually look pretty good on the head unlike most other big cans. They are not exactly stylish, but they don't intimidate with massive form either - the earpads compress to about half of their original size when the headphones are worn, resulting in a pretty slim and neat looking can IMO.

Overall, I feel that FA-003 thus represent a fantastic value for their price and everyone who is looking for accurate, natural sounding headphones in that price range should put FA-003 at the top of their list. They can even be used as portable cans quite happily if you don't mind the lack of foldability (lol is that even a word
redface.gif
), their relatively big size and somewhat annoying creaking noises they make when you walk around and/or move your head a lot with them on.

Great job, Fischer Audio! :thumbs up:

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 17
lol Come on people, what's wrong with you!? All the head-fi'ers who own and like their FA cans should be posting in this thread!

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 17
LOL - yes, I will post again once I get mine back from my brother! Can't wait to hear them again using my L'Espressivo Torpedo tube amp. Great sounding amp by the way, drives my K501's like there's no tomorrow.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 17
Just pulled the trigger on the 002 woodies! We will see how they match up against my favorites, the HD580.

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 17
I've got the FA-004 on the way so I'll definitely post my impressions once they arrive and get a good amount of burn-in..

I know this is a FA-00x series thread but I've had the DBAs for a couple of weeks now and they've officially ended my IEM search (unless FA decides to somehow top it and release another flagship IEM).  Many of their most celebrated phones around HF seem to balance a "fun vs analytical" sound perfectly & improve noticeably with amping.  Their house sound feels perfectly tailored to my tastes.  I'm looking forward to hearing how their full-sized cans sound.. if my satisfaction with the DBA & SB are any indication, I'm going to be very happy.. again.

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 17
I own a pair of 003 and they are my first full-sized headphones , i like them a lot and i am using asus xonar st to drive them =)
When i first listen to them i cant get use to how analytical they are , i am a basshead and i was looking for headphones for bass head before this. 003 makes me realise that i actually can enjoy music of other genres which emphasize on transparency, and now i have more choices of music thanks to them =D

Imho , they really produce good quality sound and the price is very reasonable =) They sound good at whatever music you throw at them , but is better to use high quality music input like ape wav or flac.  Amping makes them sound better in my case.

I LOVE MY FA-003!!
beyersmile.png

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 17
I emailed Gd- Audiobase about the leather dampeners:

Hi,

Dampers are made for reduce resonances inside the cups.

It needs to open cups then place dampers inside the close the cups. And they are ready.

As far as i know these dampers gives a big emprovement of FA-002 sound quality, also they are compatible with FA-003.

And also with Sennheiser hd-650.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 17
how's bass on Fischer Audio FA-003?

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 17
Hey guys, finally back on this thread, And i have to apologize to my FA-003! (Being occupied with the IEMs specifically the MDs for too long) ,

And i noticed some of the early purchaser for FA-003 if i am not wrong, had a 'Leather' set of extra earpads, But mine was something velvety, And it gave FA-003 a different sound signature - albeit a more closed-in intimate soundstage but details and bass were heightened to my ears especially when it has crossed the minimum 100 hours burn-in threshold.

With velvet earpads and such reasonable price i have to say these are a steal =) Din know how competitive these are in its price range until a recent trip to Stereos and managed to try out different sizes of cans around FA-003 Price range in singapore, would have to say almost none managed to stand up to it, especially demo set being "ear-baptised" through countless window shoppers it should have been pretty seasoned and burnt-in, but for being in same price range those are no match for FA-003 with velvet pads for my personal audio preference =))

Glad i chose to invest in the FA-003 as my first closed-cans, money well spent i conclude
beyersmile.png

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
I've got the FA-004 on the way so I'll definitely post my impressions once they arrive and get a good amount of burn-in..

I know this is a FA-00x series thread but I've had the DBAs for a couple of weeks now and they've officially ended my IEM search (unless FA decides to somehow top it and release another flagship IEM).  Many of their most celebrated phones around HF seem to balance a "fun vs analytical" sound perfectly & improve noticeably with amping.  Their house sound feels perfectly tailored to my tastes.  I'm looking forward to hearing how their full-sized cans sound.. if my satisfaction with the DBA & SB are any indication, I'm going to be very happy.. again.

Seeing how thing goes

Fischer Audio SBA (S-ingle B-alanced A-rmature)
Fischer Audio DBA (D-ual B-alanced A-rmature)

I wonder when will they release something like

Fischer Audio TBA (T-riple B-alanced A-rmature)

With DBA already raising some storms in head-fi, a Fischer Audio TBA (which i call it for now) at an equally competitive price will surely turn the Triple Armature Market into an uproar shift =D

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 17
Yeah i am waiting - Fischer Audio TBA-03 , that would be cool.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 17
I am SO pleased with my FA-003s, I can't believe I got such a nice headphone for $170!!  The sound is so neutral and really lets me appreciate the decisions of the producers, and I almost always feel that each song sounds "just right", which I could not say (without feeling guilty) about my M50s and HD555s, despite how great they are.  The awesome frequency balance, the detail and timbre reproduction, the soundstage, the comfort, the isolation (this isn't anything spectacular imo, but still), even a nylon foam-padded carrying bag, an extra pair of velour pads, and the detachable cable, show that Fischer really went the extra ten miles on this sub $200 headphone.  A++ value!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back