First week with er-4p's
Nov 9, 2002 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mchurgin

100+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to post my personal findings of my first week with ER-4p's.

I upgraded from ER-6's (which I sold), and am using the 4p's with an Ipod.

First I wnt to say that the 4p blows the er-6 away.The sound is so full, clear, detailed and plenty of bass where it belongs. Now I know what everyone talks about when they say colored, boomy bass. I was listening to KSC-35's which I THOUGHT sounded pretty good. Now I dont want to listen to them anymore. I guess I will have to use them only for working out.

I found with the 4p that I dont have to insert them nearly as deep as I did the Er-6. With a shallow insertion I can get a good seal that gives big full sound w/o it sounding too bright. If I hve a deeper insertion I get more isolation but to bright and actually what appears to be less bass.

I think the er-4p's sound great with the Ipod. It is plenty strong enough to drive most newer music, within the last 5-7 years. For some of my older stuff I raised the file volume using Xplay which increases the volume level with no distortion ans it gives the Ipod the power to make the older music still have good punch at moderate listening levels. Does anyone else do this, or have any comments on it?

Anyway, just wanted to post as a very satisfied 4p uprgrader. My only problem is I dont want to listen to the KSC-35's anymore
mad.gif

Howard

Nov 9, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 11
If you don't mind me asking, how do the er6 compare to the ksc35s? (sound quality, soundstage, balance, etc.)

Also please take note that I'm not an audiophile like the rest of the guys here, but I would think that if the headphones (in this case the er6) are THAT much better, then *almost* everybody should notice a good difference.

I plan on using a SlimX (without amp) for the er6. And no, despite the amount of praise the er4's have received here, I won't spring for it as the price of the er6 is already crazy for where I bring it to (will use in school for about 40 minutes while I wait for class to start in the cafeteria/commons, which I will be in a VERY noisy environment. Sometimes the band even comes to practice there)

And the SlimX should do justice to the er6 right? I've heard some good reviews about that combo...

Thanks

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to add the most important part of this message: Congrats on your purchase! But sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 11
mikeg
HI: I use to have the er4p and now have the em7. The ety er4p has amazing sound for the 300.00 you pay for them. I found them to sound very natural and with good bass and overall great sound. Now the EM7 is also very natural sounding with nice bass very natural but it seems that the highs go higher to their full length. The mids sound much the same in your face. Now the EM7 cost 65.00. So I cant really say which sounds better at 300.00 I would think that the etys do. Now I got ride of the etys because of their discomfort and I ant no fan of deep earcannal phones but the EM7 is real easy to put on and to ware. I just had a 4 hour session with them with no discomfort. Now its hard to say a 65.00 earphone sounds better than a 300.00 earcannal phone so I wont say that. I will say that for 65.00 the EM7 are a steel.

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 11
LTUCCI1924
Thanks for your reply. My main use for the ety er4 is when in a library, where I don't want others to hear and be bothered by my music. Does the EM7 seal-in sound fairly well, so that others at a library table don't hear it? I tried using my Grado SR325 in the library, but too much sound leaked out. BTW, I use an AKG K1000 for headphone listening at home, and I don't own any speakers.

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 11
HI:I think you will be better off with the etys at the library. I ant sure but maby at a low level the EM7 might get by but I ant sure about it.

Nov 10, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by aznhoward
If you don't mind me asking, how do the er6 compare to the ksc35s? (sound quality, soundstage, balance, etc.)

Also please take note that I'm not an audiophile like the rest of the guys here, but I would think that if the headphones (in this case the er6) are THAT much better, then *almost* everybody should notice a good difference.

I plan on using a SlimX (without amp) for the er6. And no, despite the amount of praise the er4's have received here, I won't spring for it as the price of the er6 is already crazy for where I bring it to (will use in school for about 40 minutes while I wait for class to start in the cafeteria/commons, which I will be in a VERY noisy environment. Sometimes the band even comes to practice there)

And the SlimX should do justice to the er6 right? I've heard some good reviews about that combo...

Thanks

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to add the most important part of this message: Congrats on your purchase! But sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Could I please have some feedback on this? I would really like to know about how the er6 sounds with the SlimX. Thanks

Nov 10, 2002 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 11
Iused my er-6 with a different mp3 player. I thought they sounded good but I was able to EQ them using basic treble and bass adjustments. The ipod does not allow custum adjustments, just some presets. I did not get a sound that I liked with the er-6 and the Ipod. Also I thought they were a little tough to drive. I had to insert the 6's deeper than the 4p so I got much more isloation with them. But this could vary from user to user.

If your plyer allows treble and bass settings and has enough power or if you are using an amp they will be good. Compared to other stuff out there they are excellent. However I now suggest the er-4p's if you can swing it.

Hope this helps.

Howard

Nov 10, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Sorry, I forgot about the KSC-35's.

Compared to the 6's or the 4p for that matter, I think the 35's sound bassy and muddy. If you have EQ settings you might want to adjust the treble to get better highs and either leave the bass flat or possibly down a little. If you dint compare the 35's to any Ety. then they are outstanding for their class and a must for working out or excercising.

But remember, you are comparing $30. to either $130 or $270

Howard

Nov 11, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 11
My post should be "first week without my Ety 4P's". Since my dog chewed mine up. I had sent them off to Etyland with the estimate of $160. I do miss them. I have been using KSC-5's and Sen MX500's. Good but, not the same. With the Grado SR60's and a JMT amp things get good. Just bulky for waking around. I hope the 4P's com home soon.
frown.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
My post should be "first week without my Ety 4P's". Since my dog chewed mine up. I had sent them off to Etyland with the estimate of $160. I do miss them. I have been using KSC-5's and Sen MX500's. Good but, not the same. With the Grado SR60's and a JMT amp things get good. Just bulky for waking around. I hope the 4P's com home soon.
frown.gif

Let's all mourn for the death of lextek's er4ps until they are magically born again by God Ety...

mchurgin: Thank you for the response! The SlimX does have a user defined EQ, and the headphone out is rated at 12mW (don't know if that means anything.) I have heard that the line out on the SlimX is not all that great, however. Can anybody confirm if the headphone out on the SlimX is any good?

ER6's are hard to drive? At the er-6 page on headroom's site, they said something about that the er6's have an impedance of 48 ohms, which can "easily be driven by a portable." Or did I misread something?

"However I now suggest the er-4p's if you can swing it." -- I will have to say no for two reasons:
1) I don't want my dad to buy me something this expensive.
2) I will be way too scared to bring it to school, which is the primary place I will be using the ER6's.

So basicly, the ER6's should be good for me since the SlimX has EQ, and all I should worry about is if the headphone out on it is good enough (anybody know?) Well, I've been using the KSC-35s on my very old cd player. It's a 5 year old Sony Discman D-171. It doesn't even shock protection! It skips when I barely tap the thing, or even tap the surface that it's laying on.

The only feature that it seems to have is "Heat Resistant Lid," as it's centered right in the middle of the lid. (Like I'm gonna ever need that
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back