First tube amp
Feb 18, 2007 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

phaseshift

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm getting my first tube headphone soon. It should arrive the 20th. I'm wondering if the headphones should be unpluged before turning off the amp? I don't want a thump or some power supply noise ruining my brand to AKG K701's

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 21
What kind of tube amp are you getting? Is this a problem with that model?

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. One potential problem is unplugging the headphones while the amp is still on and playing music. If the amp doesn't see a load, there can be trouble with the amp.

But for standard operating procedure, turn off the source before turning off the amp.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 21
General tube amp practice is.. always have headphones plugged in and a source plugged in while the amp is turned on. I dunno if that applies to this particular amp, but in general with tube amps people say that they should always be loaded

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 21
Yes, no need to worry about transient noises with your combo - wait until the amp is off before unplugging HPs and plug HPs, and be sure a HP is plugged in before turning the amp on.

With hybrids, don't remove tubes until the amp has been turned off for many hours - I wait 12 hours on the Bada 12 - but the G&W T2.6F was insensitve to this and tubes could be changed more quickly. Check with who you bought your amp from.

Stock Chinese tubes are harsh - upgrade.

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 21
I power down ALL amps before removing/inserting headphones or switching inputs. Better safe than sorry.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 21
I really don't understand why one would have to shut down a tube amp before disconnecting the load. I remember in the early days if transistors this was a must but not today. I always thought tubes were much more durable in this respect.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 21
If you pause the music and turn the volume knob down all the way, you shouldn't have a problem switching headphones with the thing turned on. I'd imagine you have more of a problem repeatedly turning the tube amp off and on while switching phones.

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 21
I swap headphones in my Little Dot II++ tube amp all the time while it is on. My amp is not a digital hybrid. I have a huge pop if I change the source while the unit is powered on, even with the volume at min. When I turn the amp off- the music just fades away- should not damage anything.
600smile.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm probably getting my first tube amp too..
is there anywhere some sort of a FAQ?
how to switch tubes,when to dissconnect the headphones etc...

Just wondering what amp(s) you were looking at buying.
cool.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4icn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I swap headphones in my Little Dot II++ tube amp all the time while it is on. My amp is not a digital hybrid. I have a huge pop if I change the source while the unit is powered on, even with the volume at min. When I turn the amp off- the music just fades away- should not damage anything.
600smile.gif

LD products can be a little iffy like that, though... what with arching on the LDII+. I always unplug my 650 before turning mine on just in case.
600smile.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LD products can be a little iffy like that, though... what with arching on the LDII+. I always unplug my 650 before turning mine on just in case.
600smile.gif

You should see the wiring in the house! There is arching! More like lightning from the desk lamp to the headphones here!
Wanna come visit?
icon10.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by phaseshift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered the amp It's a Val E10 Hybrid. Here is a link. http://shop.vacuumtube.com/product/B...Headphone-.htm

The seller is very nice. I had him check out my amp before shipping it. I should get it the 22nd along with my new K701's.

sorry for the confusion- I was wondering what amp(s) pearljam5000 was considering..
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back