first tube amp question
Jul 5, 2016 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

JBal4

100+ Head-Fier
I bought an amp from a local store and the amp did not come with much setup info so maybe someone on here can help me.
Amp I bought is Pangea HP201 to use with Beyer T90(250ohm, 102 dB 1 mW / 500 Hz)

So I know that tubes need warm up time to reach best sound. Does the first time take longer to warm up? Should headphones be plugged in while warming up or after? and does volume setting matter during warmup?

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 18
I bought an amp from a local store and the amp did not come with much setup info so maybe someone on here can help me.
Amp I bought is Pangea HP201 to use with Beyer T90(250ohm, 102 dB 1 mW / 500 Hz)

So I know that tubes need warm up time to reach best sound. Does the first time take longer to warm up? Should headphones be plugged in while warming up or after? and does volume setting matter during warmup?
The warm up time shouldn't be very long on hybrid amp like that no more than minute I would think.

Jul 5, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 18
coolcool I was having issues with distortion but I think it was result of digital signal being to loud coming out of my laptop. I turned down the volume through my media pplayer program and distortion seems to have vanished.

Jul 5, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 18
coolcool I was having issues with distortion but I think it was result of digital signal being to loud coming out of my laptop. I turned down the volume through my media pplayer program and distortion seems to have vanished.

Are you using the Dac portion of the amp?

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 18
Yea setup goes Laptop(alac) ==> usb ==> amp/dac ==> t90

This is the only setup I have had that issue with. I figured out the issue by looking into playback devices. The menu shows output meter(little bar graph looking thing) as sound is playing the meter was maxed almost the entire time.

.....but if I can observe the output level through my computer doesnt that mean my internal DAC is still working??? so I am double digital converting the audio? wth is going on

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 18
Yea setup goes Laptop(alac) ==> usb ==> amp/dac ==> t90

This is the only setup I have had that issue with. I figured out the issue by looking into playback devices. The menu shows output meter(little bar graph looking thing) as sound is playing the meter was maxed almost the entire time.

.....but if I can observe the output level through my computer doesnt that mean my internal DAC is still working??? so I am double digital converting the audio? wth is going on

You should disable the onboard dac . I have the volume on Foobar set to max and i get no distortion at all.

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 18
So I went to "Sounds" and disabled the Realtek High Definition Audio. After doing this I noticed that the device was still active in the "Device Manager", so I disabled it under "Sound, video and game controllers"

After doing this I turned iTunes volume back to max and the distortion came back. Pic below shows the the output meter I was talking about in previous post.

I am tring to figure out what to disable to shut off the internal soundcard but I dont want to have to go back and turn 75 devices, features and options back on just to use my onboard card when I want. YAY WINDOWS 10 IS AWESOME....

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 18
You might have to do it bios and did you restart the computer when you disabled it?

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 18
yea I have restarted it every time I make changes. I will have to research the bios as I am not very familiar with the bios settings, and thank you Buke for all the help thus far

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 18
yea I have restarted it every time I make changes. I will have to research the bios as I am not very familiar with the bios settings, and thank you Buke for all the help thus far
No problem. Just want everyone to get the most out of what they have if possible.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 18
Well that went from annoying to oh schiit fast, "no operating system found"

I just wanted to listen to some tunes on my new toy :'(

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 18

The same info that the computer can monitor (like on its analyzer graph) or output levels are digital. It can see the program so it knows what to display on the analyzer, the same way Dozer can sit in front of several monitors in the Nebuchadnezzar and see red hair and blonde hair from a bunch of 1's and 0's. Same thing with digital domain gain control.

What music player are you using? Does it have a Wasapi plug in?

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 18
I was using iTunes but I messed something up wen I was in uefi/bios, wen I exited screen wen black and displays operating system not found. I am probably going to have to bring it to a shop to see if they can bring it back to life

Finally figured out how to get back into bios and got the os loaded again :D The computer is a viao ultrabook and it uses one of the random vaio shortcut keys to load bios, pita with the fastboot.

The only reason I use itunes is because I use and ipod for my portable, probably gunna look into other players that support wasapi. So you think that the external dac is working properly then? It just seemed odd to have distortion caused by usb output, never had any issues with modi, e17, or nfb10

Jul 7, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #14 of 18
So you think that the external dac is working properly then? It just seemed odd to have distortion caused by usb output, never had any issues with modi, e17, or nfb10

No, I'm not certain, but I'm suggesting you try that because you try it like right freaking now to see if it solves the problem, and for free too. Google "MediaMonkey" and "Foobar" and try those (make sure the Wasapi plug in or the direct audio thing are actually running). 

Apart from that, did you install the HP201 drivers?

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 18
I have had foobar for quite a while, I enabled wasapi and still get the distortion at full volume(foobar volume-100%, usb out- no volume control). The amp volume is set at about 11 o'clock.

"So you think that the external dac is working properly then?" I meant, if the volume analyzer graph if displaying outputs, that does not necessarily mean the internal soundcard is running, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back