first true Metal band?
Jul 29, 2008 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all!

I am curious what the first Grindcore/Death Metal/Speed Metal/Thrash Metal band was.

I really like Megadeth, Led Zeppelin, etc., however i'm looking for the truly hardcore stuff, not "Heavy Metal". I want to listen to the fathers and founders of "Metal" as I know it in the 90's and now into the 2000's (Death Metal, Thrash Metal, etc. I like currently Opeth, My Dying Bride, Strapping Young Lad, Lamb of God, Symphony X). Are there a few candidates for first "badass Metal band" (only way I can think to phrase it
biggrin.gif
)? Or none, or too many to name?

Wondering;
Dk

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 90
Eh....I don't know that I can think of a single "first metal" band. There were a lot of genres and artists that contributed to the beginning of metal, but I'd never classify them as metal.

To me, being a thrasher from the start, Metallica and Megadeth were the start of metal, at least as I consider it. Yeah, there were other bands and the like before them (Ozzy and all). Slayer and Pantera are up there, too.

I know a lot of people will disagree and probably pull out all sorts of musical references and the like, but I think old-school Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/Pantera really laid the first stones in the long road that's metal.

On a side note, I'm absolutely disgusted by this current trendy "brie brie urrr urrr chug chug" death/deathcore shat that's circulating. Give me old-school thrash over this modern generic junk any day.

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 90
Perhaps Black Sabbath should get a mention...

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 90
i'm gonna go with the Stooges, though their influence was not limited to metal.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 90
Thats quite impossible question because the sound got refined as extremified as time passed, there was no first band that truly started extreme metal.

Black sabbath gave birth of the heavy metal, but when metal bands started mixing some punk and hardcore attidutes formed to Thrash Metal, that gave the birth of more extreme sides. It was debated which was first thrash metal band though, I guess there is no clear first one. Metallica was one of the first, and definetly first one who broke away from the underground scene and Slayer soon followed. I think Exodus was bit older than Metallica in the underground though, and there were others too IIRC.

No matter thats where it started, and bands started getting more and more extreme as time passed. Some branched blackmetal (Venom and Bathory, Mayhem and Darkthrone), some deathmetal. (death, morbid angel, malevolent creation, cannibal corpse) and some just went to make Thrash more faster, violent and extreme (older Kreator, Morbid Saint, Demolition Hammer etc...) These bands are gems from the late '80 and early '90. To stay in topic, just remember a thing. A special mention can go to Cannibal Corpse, because if CC had not existed, I really doubt there would be any Deathcore/brutal death/Grindcore/Goregrind craze today.

Quote:

On a side note, I'm absolutely disgusted by this current trendy "brie brie urrr urrr chug chug" death/deathcore shat that's circulating. Give me old-school thrash over this modern generic junk any day.

x2. I heard some Demolition Hammer lately. Nowaday deathcore/br00tal death bands rely on just heavy chugchugchug playing and heavy bass to sound strong, but some of the Thrash gems (like that DH and Morbid Saint) sound far more aggressive than many of those nowaday deathmetal(-esque) bands. Their whole playing so so emotionally animal and ferocious and violent, and not too much B-horror splatter in lyrics either. No production faking, just playing.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all!

I am curious what the first Grindcore/Death Metal/Speed Metal/Thrash Metal band was.

Wondering;
Dk

Well, assuming you're just looking to explore the roots of these sub-genres, I would go out and listen to the following:

Venom - Black Metal (1982)
Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids (1984)
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales (1984), To Mega Therion (1985) CF formed out of Hellhammer's ashes
Metallica - Kill 'em All (1983) first bona fide thrash album
Repulsion - Horrified (recorded in 1986) earliest grindcore band along w/Napalm Death
Possessed - Seven Churches (1985) often called first proper death metal album
Bathory - Bathory (1984) first black metal album with "2nd wave sound"

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A special mention can go to Cannibal Corpse, because if CC had not existed, I really doubt there would be any Deathcore/brutal death/Grindcore/Goregrind craze today.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. You're giving way too much credit to CC. The real trendsetters were Carcass. R.I.P.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. You're giving way too much credit to CC. The real trendsetters were Carcass. R.I.P.

Hmm... You might be correct. But CC is epitome of mainstream deathmetal and usually amongst deathcore fans/bands its not unusual to see CC as one of their fav bands. No?

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 90
Quote:

Hmm... You might be correct. But CC is epitome of mainstream deathmetal and usually amongst deathcore fans/bands its not unusual to see CC as one of their fav bands. No?

Definitely, and I'm also a fan of the Corpse. No doubt, they were great. But Carcass are sacrosanct. The Beatles of all that is extreme and death in metal. Well, that's my opinion, anyway. Basically, I just think their music beats the crap out of anything, and spawned countless imitators. Their first three albums, Reek of Putrefaction, Symphonies of Sickness, and Necroticism are landmarks of grind and death, and I honestly don't think any metal band (with the possible exception of Black Sabbath) have put together a run of classics matching them. And I'm not even a fan of their later "death 'n roll" stuff.

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 90
it's quite impossibile to point out "the first heavy metal band", probably the ones that go closer to this definition are Black Sabbath or Judas Priest, those bands started what is considered to be oldschool heavy metal, hard rock inspired, by deep purple and zep....then there are the first/most influential bands to start a particular genre : Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Exodus, are considered the fathers of Thrash metal, Death and Morbid Angel of death metal of course...Napalm Death for grindcore, Helloween for power metal...but that is trying to oversimplify something which is not simple...nothing is born from nothing...i don't like to state for example "Death invented death metal" because simply it is not correct...it is all a gradual process...if you listen to Scream bloody gore - first album by Death - you will hear something more similar to thrash than to what is today called death - espacially inspired by Slayer's Raining blood,in which the vocals for example...go not very distant from being death growls -. If you listen to Stained class by Judas Pirest...you will hear the basics of thrash/speed metal - see Exciter -...you'll hear some Power metal elements in Rainbow's Rising and so on - see the B side of the record Stargazer/A light in the black...but there are just too many examples asd subgenres to mention...

On purpose,i did not mention anything about the birth of "today's metal" , i'm refering to..metal as advertised by the television...because it downright sucks, Nu-metal **** like Linkin crap, the new metallica and so on is described by the mainstream as heavy metal...but it has nothing to do with it...this does not mean it sucks ( well in my opinion it does but it is just my opinion ) simply...if you want to listen to it...just call it with the right name : mainstream rock, there is not a single solo in al inkin crap song, song structure is not based on riffs, but on simple chords, the vocal parts are totally prominent,something defined as heavy metal should have a strong instrumental component, something that i absolutely do not hear on the radio, kids have now mistaken "heavy metal" for "noisy music". Do i need to add that i hate the new deathcore trend even more than nu ?
biggrin.gif
Of course...there are some good bands which were formed in the 90s...but you will not hear about them on the television...

Quote:

You're right...cannibal corpse is the ultimate,s00per underground superband loved by the br00tal deathcore scenesters...they're so ignorant about music to not realize that CC is just a continuous stream of hyperfast blastbeats with no meaning at all...probably those kids are even so stupid to take their lyrics seriously...they don't get the joke at all...

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 90
Quote:

Hi all!

Most influential extreme metal album of all time is Slayer's 1983 debut album:

41KZCBXGBVL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Death, Thrash, Speed metal all trace back to this, it is ground zero.
Bow down to your master!

FYI fellow west coast bangers Metallica also came out with debut in 1983 but lacked the dual lead guitars and evil lyrics........next two Slayer albums pushed the extreme factor further to climax with Reign in Blood

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Venom - Black Metal (1982)
Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids (1984)
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales (1984), To Mega Therion (1985) CF formed out of Hellhammer's ashes
Metallica - Kill 'em All (1983) first bona fide thrash album
Repulsion - Horrified (recorded in 1986) earliest grindcore band along w/Napalm Death
Possessed - Seven Churches (1985) often called first proper death metal album
Bathory - Bathory (1984) first black metal album with "2nd wave sound"

Thank you! I do have Kill 'Em All... I should go dust it off and give it another few listens.

I'll check out the others too
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most influential extreme metal album of all time is Slayer's 1983 debut album:
41KZCBXGBVL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Death, Thrash, Speed metal all trace back to this, it is ground zero.
Bow down to your master!

Thank you. I had actually forgotten about Slayer until I read this thread (!!!)
eek.gif

* Where does Strapping Young Lad fit into all of this? I like them a lot.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 90
I love strapping young lad too, they are difficult to categorize, they play a blend of thrash/death ( the vocals, drumming ) and industrial metal ( all the electronic samples used ),...i love Devin Townsend, he is totally insane, crazy lyrics, but never on the level of brainless angst against people like the metalcore bands...SYL lyrics are all about humour...however, they are one of the earliest extreme metal bands...

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What bands specifically please? I don't listen to the radio so I probably have no idea what you're talking about
biggrin.gif

When I say: Quote:

I want to listen to the fathers and founders of "Metal" as we know it in the 90's and now into the 2000's.

I'm not talking about NuMetal, et al; although I do like Linkin Park and Disturbed quite a bit in small-medium doses (songs get repetitive in long listening sessions) -- what im referring to is albums from the last decade or so by Opeth, Strapping Young Lad, Tool, Lamb of God, etc.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 90
Quote:

What bands specifically please? I don't listen to the radio so I probably have no idea what you're talking about
biggrin.gif

When I say:I'm not talking about NuMetal, et al; although I do like Linkin Park and Disturbed quite a bit in small-medium doses (songs get repetitive in long listening sessions) -- what im referring to is albums from the last decade or so by Opeth, Strapping Young Lad, Tool, Lamb of God, etc.

Take your pick of any of the current trendy "myspace metal" bands out there. I honestly don't have any specific band names because I hate the stuff so much I don't listen to any of it.

SYL is pretty good, especially when they played concerts (last I heard, Townsend shaved the skullet and the band is defunct). They had this way-overblown (purposefully) evil sense of humour, too. Big regret of mine is I didn't hang around Ozzfest long enough to see their set (hadn't really heard of them when I went), I just heard a bit of the stuff while we were piddling around elsewhere looking at bare painted breasts (hey, ok, seriously, who doesn't want to look at a bunch of 32B-36C cup boobs free-air, all painted up?) and now that they're broken up, I won't get to see them live. Great band. I'd classify them as industrial, although they don't really fit with a lot of other industrial like Skinny Puppy and NIN.

That's the problem with metal - so many bands have unique sounds, yet they get lumped into specific categories with other bands that sound nothing like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back