First true Hi-Fi headphone experiences.
Nov 3, 2014 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SeEnCreaTive

500+ Head-Fier
 Hey guys, Im a bit new to Head-Fi here, and have been mostly lurking in some smaller threads. I don't think I have enough experience to post anything meaningful in some other big threads.

But here is my debut I suppose. If you're into some reading

Background
I was using ear-buds for the longest time for my computer and was looking for something next level, so over-ear phones where the obvious step. Went litterally next door from my work to The Source to see what they had, mostly in search of the zx-100s you can get for $20. Turns out all headphones were on sale for 50% off and I ended op getting the mesh-back MDR-MA300s. Generally the best purchase I ever made at that point, still don't regret it. Since then I bought some zx-100 for travel, they're modded.
  Then I found Head-Fi. Quickly learned of all types of headphones, and fell in love with T50RPs, their quirky retro look, and not so mainstream othrodynamic drivers, super modifiable, and nice price point. Everything I was looking for. I soon found out the basic materials I'd want, but also how much prices for these headphones have gone up. With a cart loaded on US amazon (MUCH cheaper then up here, and girlfriend is american) It came to $149 USD. That was including puddy, silverstone foam, and 840 Pads. But just to be safe I checked NCIX on the Mayflowers they carry. Turns out they were on sale for $159 CAD (Version 1s. Pre-modded with all the mods I was going to do by truly experienced people, for cheaper then stock plus materials, but only until Nov 1. I ordered them right then and there. With a sound card, and proper cable (Funny story with that cable, but Ill tell it another day)

Actual first listening
Well they are here, I got my special knife, and slowly opened the box. In it was the sound card, cable and the stock T50RP box, with a yellow label, with "Version 1" Hand written on it. Spent a while rearranging my PCI slots in my computer to get the card in, re-organised all my cables on my desk, downloaded some lossless music. Hit play. At first I was a bit underwhelmed, they sound better then anything Ive ever heard, but only marginally. (even with the sound card upgrade, that shows how unexpectedly good those MDR-MA300 are), but now as I listen to them more and more, and they are getting worn in, they purely incredible. 

After initial impressions 
Now that Ive gotten used to them, and they are a bit more worn in, Im in love. That being said, its going to take a long time to get used to the closed cans, Im not sure if Im a fan, the selling factor for the MA-300s were the mesh backs, Ive never heard of headphones having that before, but I loved the natural sound they give, the not over powering but smooth deep bass they gave too

But Im getting used to them, and the more and more I listen the more I love them, now that they are getting worn it, the mids have dialed back a bit, the highs are less tinny, and the bass has started coming out. We'll see how I like the closed cans in the long run. But I will never trade these for the world they are awesome. I want to paint some blue accents on at somepouint and see if I can convince my mother to make a proper headband pad. She is a professional seamstress after all 

EDIT: Seems the closed cans give some ear fatigue, bit be air pressure over time I don't really know 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back