first timer Just bought WoodAudio 6 with no headphone in hand yet
Nov 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GeneA

New Head-Fier

I have recently purchased WoodAudio 6 (not yet received) which I am going to upgrade with Emission Labs EML 274B rectifier.

I am also planning to purchase  Onkyo C-S5VL C-S5VL Super Audio CD/CD Player as the source.

Now the only thing that remains is the Headphone and my range is between AKG702 and HD800. 

There are only two kinds of music I primarily interred in 

1. Acoustic string guitar music (Classical, flamenco)

2. Ambient Trance or Psybient music like Shpongle , Bluetech, Shulman, etc.

I know HD800 on my list is the top contender I just do not want to buy more than I can use or drive with my set up.

Thanks you guys

[size=x-large][/size]

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 6
I think Sennheisers will sound better through the Woo than the AKG. The impedance is better matched if i remember correctly. However, the HD800 just sounds better in general too.

I must add that I had the AKG K701 with the Woo Audio 6. I think the K701 sound great with the 6SE, but DEFINITELY not with the 6. The bass will lack power. There will be little difference between the sound of using a cheap $200 solid state amp and the Woo 6 with the K701. (I compared the Ibasso D10 vs the WA6 on K701) The Woo may just make the K701 sound less detailed and a little warmer over all, but not a huge difference and not worth the money.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 6
I currently using the WA6 with Sophia Princess and Treasures.  WA6 definitely lacks power to drive the K701.  In fact, the bass is loose and little bloated with my D7000.  Just for giggles, I plug the K701 and D7000 into the Marantz 14EX receiver and it does a better job at it
confused.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 6
I really like Grados with my Woo 6 w/Sophia Princess. The RS1 and GS1000 are very good matches with the switch in the low-impedance setting.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 6
The Woo will be under powered for the AKG anyways...  it should be easier for a tube to power a 300 ohm headphone like the HD800. I believe the K701 is 62 ohms. Tube amps generally match better with higher impedance headphones for sure. You'll be wasting ALOT of money if you get it for the AKG. You can drive the AKG with cheaper solid state or hybrid amps better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back