First time luxury IEM buyer.
Aug 31, 2018 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Kitechaser

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking to purchase my first audiophile Iem's.
Have only had the RHA t20i briefly.
I don't wanna do the gradual increase, and am looking for a high end earphone from the get go.
I am looking at the RHA cl2 planar magnetics, shure se846, AKG n5005.
Please let me know what the jedi audiophiles recommend out of these, or others in this price range.
I listen to everything, from 2pac, Michael jackson, to EDM, to classical and a lot of instrumental soundtracks. So need an IEM that is a jack of all trades.
Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 48
Like how @Mizukage said, check out this list by @crinacle:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-ranking-list-220-entries-19-08-update.857498/

From that list and by how your budget sounds, I say that you should go for the Hidition Viento Reference, but it is only available as a custom IEM, so you need to submit ear impressions that are done by a professional audiologist.

If you don’t want to submit ear impressions, the Campfire Andromeda has always garnished a ton of fanfare around here, and is on the second-to-the-top-tier on that list.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 48
CE-5 HYLA
Would be my first choice, but it is out of stock.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 48
Like how @Mizukage said, check out this list by @crinacle:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-ranking-list-220-entries-19-08-update.857498/

From that list and by how your budget sounds, I say that you should go for the Hidition Viento Reference, but it is only available as a custom IEM, so you need to submit ear impressions that are done by a professional audiologist.

If you don’t want to submit ear impressions, the Campfire Andromeda has always garnished a ton of fanfare around here, and is on the second-to-the-top-tier on that list.
What do you guys think of the RHA CL2 Planar magnetic?
Do you think that would even compete?
The performance graphs released to me look pretty good.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 48
Okay campfire andromeda it is. But I gotta find a labor day deal of some sort.
Its 200 more than I wanna spend.
We shall see.

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 48
After going over that list for a while, I am down to Campfire Vega.
I am going to be running it with the cowon plenue d.
I made my choice because I am going to be using these at the gym a lot. And the positives of the andromeda would be negated in that environment.
Thanks for all your help guys. That list was incredibly handy.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 48
After going over that list for a while, I am down to Campfire Vega.
I am going to be running it with the cowon plenue d.
I made my choice because I am going to be using these at the gym a lot. And the positives of the andromeda would be negated in that environment.
Thanks for all your help guys. That list was incredibly handy.
I'm a Vega user, it's a great iem especially if you like bass.

Sep 1, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 48
I'm a Vega user, it's a great iem especially if you like bass.
I am so excited. One quick question, do you think the cowon plenue d is a good enough source for these?
By the way, thanks for the list. That was awesome.

Sep 4, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 48
I don't have a Cowon, but i'm sure if you go onto the Vega iem thread someone would be able to answer you.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/campfire-audio-vega.21893/reviews

Crinacles list is fantastic, I'm looking for an iem for classical music and am using this list to narrow my choices.
Now looking to pick up a Sony Zx300. With a 4.4mm cable for the campfire vega.
I am turning into an audiophile overnight.
Thi is crazy.
What do you think about that combo?

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 48
Now looking to pick up a Sony Zx300. With a 4.4mm cable for the campfire vega.
I am turning into an audiophile overnight.
Thi is crazy.
What do you think about that combo?

This site can be dangerous. I started off looking for a DAP and headphones now I have 2 DAPs the Sony WM1a for listening at home and a Dx200 for travel. Along with my Campfire Vegas and Cascacades. Currently I'm looking for iems just for classical and jazz. Beware this becomes expensive hobby very quickly, but I've enjoyed every minute of it :ksc75smile:

I've heard good things about the Zx300, I've not heard it personally, but if they have the Sony house sound I believe it should pair well. If you want or need streaming apps, I'd look at the ibasso dx150. They make excellent DAPs as well.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...-sept-1-the-music-adventure-continues.874224/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back