First-time IEM buyer...
Nov 7, 2010 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PENGUINCARL

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm new to this place, but I have used it as an awesome mine of information for all things audio. 

I'm looking into purchasing my first pair of IEMs and am looking to spend no more than $100 (pretty flexible).  I know there are similar threads, and I have read most of them.  However, the one thing I want most from the IEMs (apart from good music quality) is being good at passive noise-cancellation.  I will use them mostly on planes as I travel quite a lot for my job.  So what would be some possible suggestions?

Also, I've never owned a headphone amp and am not too knowledgeable about them.  Would you guys suggest buying little cheaper headphones and get a somewhat cheap (~$30) amp over just a pair of headphones?

Thanks

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 5
A number of IEMs isolate quite well.  Etymotic has advertised as being one of the best at this task, and they are at the top.  However, a lot of other IEMs isolate really well too.  It's just a little better to look at the type of sound signature you want instead. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
 It's just a little better to look at the type of sound signature you want instead. 

Yeah, good advice, just the other one's that isolate really well (i'm thinking shure/westone) tend to be the expensive one's or not really worth the money. If you want an over ear design though (cable noise) it's well worth checking others out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back