First time Headphone buyer (Ad700, MDR V6, or Something else?)
Nov 28, 2012 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kafke

New Head-Fier
So up until now, I've jumped from cheap headphones to cheap earbuds. I currently have the Sennheiser MX580 earbuds. I'm looking to get a $100-150 pair of headphones for home use. So I was wondering what everyone suggests for that price range. Initially I heard great things about the ATH-AD700, but I also heard that it fit loose and the bass wasn't great. My roommate just got the Sony MDR V6, which I think sounds great, but I found the bass too "punchy" and not distinct enough, unlike my earbuds which I could distinguish each bass note (but could barely hear them compared to everything else). The MDR V6 I can barely distinguish the notes, but instead feel a pound/shake every note, rather than hearing the note. Fit wise, they are great. I was wondering how the AD700 compares to these. I'm worried about the AD700's not fitting well. Is that going to be a problem?

I'm mainly going to use them for listening to Rock/Swing/Techno/Classical, and perhaps game a bit. My main concern is to hear everything accurately and not have one part of the sound overpower anything else. Are the AD700's good for that, or should I be looking at something else? Also, do I need to get anything else? I'll be using them with my ipod Touch 4g and my laptop with onboard sound.

Thanks for helping!

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
So up until now, I've jumped from cheap headphones to cheap earbuds. I currently have the Sennheiser MX580 earbuds. I'm looking to get a $100-150 pair of headphones for home use. So I was wondering what everyone suggests for that price range. Initially I heard great things about the ATH-AD700, but I also heard that it fit loose and the bass wasn't great. My roommate just got the Sony MDR V6, which I think sounds great, but I found the bass too "punchy" and not distinct enough, unlike my earbuds which I could distinguish each bass note (but could barely hear them compared to everything else). The MDR V6 I can barely distinguish the notes, but instead feel a pound/shake every note, rather than hearing the note. Fit wise, they are great. I was wondering how the AD700 compares to these. I'm worried about the AD700's not fitting well. Is that going to be a problem?

I'm mainly going to use them for listening to Rock/Swing/Techno/Classical, and perhaps game a bit. My main concern is to hear everything accurately and not have one part of the sound overpower anything else. Are the AD700's good for that, or should I be looking at something else? Also, do I need to get anything else? I'll be using them with my iPod Touch 4g and my laptop with on board sound.

Chances are headphones will sound better plugged straight into the iPod Touch 4G then plugged into the laptop.
The ATH-AD700s light bass is a turn off.
As these headphones will be plugged into the iPod, I'm assuming the headphones will be used in public, so closed would be better.

Did you try the MDR-V6s with both the iPod and laptop?

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 4
I've tried the MDR V6 with both the laptop and ipod. And after listening for a few more hours, I've noticed the bass start to become more present, almost to a turnoff from the headphones. As I mentioned, I like being able to hear the bass and it's presence, but I don't like feeling the bass that much.

I was mostly considering using the headphones for home use (which I do use my ipod when I'm home), but if the headphones work while in public then that's good. Would the AD700X be a better choice then?

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
I've tried the MDR V6 with both the laptop and iPod. And after listening for a few more hours, I've noticed the bass start to become more present, almost to a turnoff from the headphones. As I mentioned, I like being able to hear the bass and it's presence, but I don't like feeling the bass that much.

I was mostly considering using the headphones for home use (which I do use my ipod when I'm home), but if the headphones work while in public then that's good. Would the AD700X be a better choice then?

Part of me would really like you to buy the new ATH-AD700X (open) headphones and post a detailed review on them.
The better part of me knows that I should not be recommending to someone headphones that I have not used and that have no reviews on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back