First small steps...an introduction and a few questions
Dec 1, 2008 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cyberjunkie

New Head-Fier
Hello all! It's my first post here on Head-Fi but I have been a spectator for a very long time! I've been using headphones for a long time as well and am a person who has his headphones on for at least 6 - 8 hrs a day. I’ve been using the Philips SHP805 (some $25 in India when I bought them), which I bought after reading on it on Head-Fi itself some three years back. I had a Yamaha C-Media CMI8738 based sound card till around April last year. I’ve been using an onboard solution since then and even with my new rig (Realtek ALC888 based). I somehow still believe the ancient CMI8738 based card sounded clearer and better overall. I've decided to get the ASUS Xonar DX now.

So, I’ve been wanting to invest and experiment with some higher-end headphones but I’ve been pushing this back for a while. I was initially planning on spending $100 to $150 on a pair of headphones without an amp. I came across the thread on the JVC Victor HARX700 headphones. Reading through the thread, they look like a very good value-for-money set of headphones to get for some $40. There headphones have impressed many on some other forums as well. They ought to be a lot better than the ones I’m using right now for sure. To me, these could be the perfect set of headphones to start off with and use for a couple of months at least before moving on to something higher or maybe use two or three different headphones. Eventually, I’d like to end up with something the AKG K701/2 with a decent amp.

I’m inclined towards metal when it comes to music but I’m flexible with my taste – I’ll listen to anything that sounds good to me. Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Between the Buried and Me are some of the bands I like. I like my sound to be bright - to be clear-cut crisp, have a sharp and gritty sound for modern distortion from guitars and a flexible bass that is present in the right amount but also fills your ears when necessary. I hope you get what I'm trying to say
confused_face_2.gif

And now..the doubts –
Are the RX900's a lot better than the RX700 and worth spending that extra bit more? Do they need an amp to work well? I do not want to venture into amps right now.

I hear great things about the ASUS XONAR DX being good value for money. So….is it really any good? I’m concerned about Creative’s software drivers and how they might behave with Vista. Is there anything else worth considering in the same price range as the XONAR DX? (mostly for music while I browse but also for a good 2 to 4 hrs of games and movies a day)

More importantly, is the Xonar DX sufficient to drive the JVC HARX700 without an amp or will the Creative cards do a better job?

Any ASUS XONAR DX users who happen to own a JVC Victor HA-RX700, I’d like your feedback!

JVC doesn’t sell headphones here in India, so I’ll be getting the HA-RX700 shipped from the US through a friend. I plan on placing my order tomorrow. If all goes as planned, I’ll have them here with me in the next 10 -12 days. I will be buying the sound card locally by the end of this week and then using it with my speakers till the phones arrive. I know I'm going to grow impatient
wink_face.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 6

Tacoboy

500+ Head-Fier
There are two sellers on EBay "Japan Export" & "Japan World Store" that sell the HA-RX700s and ship world wide.

The HA-RX700s are sold under the brand name "Victor" and have a slightly different model number

They are called Victor "HP"-RX700s, the "HP" model comes with an extra 1.5 meter extention cord.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 6

cyberjunkie

New Head-Fier
Thanks for the replies! I don't think I can try the headphones - they aren't available here. I'm going to order them anyway. I'm pleased from what I've read about them. They are pretty cheap, so I won't regret it for sure.

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 6

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
i have a xonar and an rx700. its a very nice combination. great for music. i generally use my x-fi because i'm a gamer and the x-fi puts out more bass. for music the xonar is better tho. a small amp like a cmoy or fiio will bring the power up plenty if wanted

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 6

cyberjunkie

New Head-Fier
My RX700 was ordered yesterday so I should get my hands on it in around 10 days. I get my XONAR DX this Monday or Tuesday. I'll have plenty of time to play with it on my speakers till the headphones arrive.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread