First set of nice cans
Jan 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dlm4849

New Head-Fier
Im looking to buy my first set of mid price cans. Ive heard Sennheiser 280 Pros that a friend has and liked them ok. I own a set of Westone UM2s that I like and use as IEMs for live music performance, but wouldn't mind some more low end extension and clarity in the upper mids and highs.

So what Im looking for:

- clean, detailed sound, but not low end shy (Im a bass player, so I like my lows to be tight and punchy, but well represented)
- a nice open soundstage as they'll be used for mixing and in the studio as well as just normal music listening.
- Comfy (the 280 Pros felt just fine to me) I ride hours on end on a tour bus so I need something that I can wear for a while
- Id like some isolation. From what Ive read, isolation and bass response go hand in hand, so Im pretty sure Im looking for a closed set
- max price of ~125 unless a few more bucks will get me something far better

As far as style of music goes, I listen to literally everything from Top 40 stuff to black gospel to all types of rock.

What Ive looked at and would like comments on specifically:

Grado 60i/80i
Senn. HD 280 Pro and 595
Ultrasone Pro 550
Audio Technica ATH A700 and M50

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks much

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 10
K. Spent some time with some Senn HD280 Pros today. Listening to these was a little fatiguing because of a perceived bump in the 2-4K range. I also wouldn't mind some more low end extension, but the low end is enough I think. Hopefully this can help with any recommendations.

Didnt mention before, but my main source is my MacBook Pro and my HTC Incredible. I wouldnt mind getting an amp at some point, but an amp's worthless without headphones.

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 10
Some additional recommendations for ya:

Shure SRH 440, SRH 840

Sony MDR-V6, V600, 7506

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 10
I honestly don't think you can do better than the M50s for a closed phone in that price range.  There's a really good (appropriate) amount of bass, and it's very accurate and punchy, and the mids/highs are very clear and detailed as well.  The soundstage isn't as large as an open phone would be, of course, but it's not deficient or claustrophobic by any means.  They kick the crap out of 280s (Google "m50 vs 280") in pretty much everything except isolation, however, they do isolate pretty well.  They're also certified by METAlliance, so you know they're perfect for mixing and monitoring.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 10
Hm. ive read a lot about the M50s and Im a little scared of the low end being too much. Right now I have my eyes on a set of Ultrasone Pro 550 that Ive found near enough to my price range, so well see. Ive heard from some musician friends that the Ultrasones, especially the Pro line are super solid.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 10
M50s are great. They're the first nice pair of headphones I bought. The bass on them is incredible, they don't need to be amped, so you can save money buying them.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 10
Just one question: do you want the bass to be deep, as in it extends to very low frequencies, or do you also want it emphasized, as in punchy? The M50s are a great option, and comfy, also the Shure SRH750. The SRH840 are more neutral than the last 2, thus why I asked what exactly did you want from bass =P

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Hm. ive read a lot about the M50s and Im a little scared of the low end being too much. Right now I have my eyes on a set of Ultrasone Pro 550 that Ive found near enough to my price range, so well see. Ive heard from some musician friends that the Ultrasones, especially the Pro line are super solid.

The M50's low end isn't that much, don't believe the open back converts when they talk about the bass on the M50's as monstrerous, it's actually only "Heavy" not overpowering, not overlly punchy( not even close) it's actually pretty laid back.

You hear so many different opinions on the M50's cause some of su are used to closed back headphones( Such as my SRH750DJ's which I enjoy more then M50's) and some people who use( and talk about them) have never heard a bass note in their life, and thus when they listen to any closed back headphone they automatically start talking about how much bass it has, even if it's not particularly impressive. As well as you get people like me who own and compare quiet frequiently to actual bass monsters the Sony XB500's which are a lack of a better phrase "Like getting punched in the side of the ear by bass."

So take opinions on the M50's with a grain of salt, and try to get to a guitar center and use them and see what you think for yourself. They should have Shures and a Senn or too. Ultrasone is okay, I wouldn't call them reference monitors in the least, infact they are one of the more coloured sets of headphones. IF your looking for reference or a good mastering headphone go for an MDR 7509 or Shure SRH840.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Mixing is last in line for the duty of these phones, so being colored isnt bad, so long as it sounds good. Im used to low end, so maybe the M50s would work for me. For the bass, Im looking for more accuracy than bump, so Id rather have low end extension

Sadly, I live in the middle of nowhere as far as decent audio equipment is concerned, so I cant exactly go across town and listen to anything worth buying. I think I may either buy used, or get the Ultrasones I found online. With either of these, I can turn around and sell for mot much of a loss and get something else in a few months if Im not happy. The Pro 550s I found were only 150, so if I dont like them, I could sell them for not much of a loss. I do like the fact that the Pro 550s have replaceable cables and come with an extra as well as the case and extra pads.

After spending some time with my roommate's 280's, Im definitely not going with them. Too much eqing to make them sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back