First set of headphones? - SOL Master Tracks or Denon AH-D340
Jan 29, 2014 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

thundrcatz

New Head-Fier
So I'm new to the headphone scene and could really use some input from more seasoned veterans. I've narrowed down my list to these 2 headphones, but I'm torn as to which one I should keep.

First off, I mainly listen to Indie Rock (Vampire Weekend, Airborne Toxic Event, Death Cab, Matt & Kim and Two Door Cinema Club) and Folk (Avett Bros, Mumford & Sons and The Decemberists). But I also listen to 90's Alt Rock, Acoustic, 80's, Classic Rock and especially Muse.

I've also started writing, and bought these for the purpose of listening to Classical music to block out the background noise when I'm at Starbucks.

I'm by no means a bass head, but I do like a very well rounded sound. In terms of car audio, which is what I'm also into. I run a set of Focal 6.5 components with a JL 8". The Focal are nice and bright and the JL provides just enough bass to most everything that I listen to.

As for the headphones. I like the look and feel of the SOL's, They also provide the bass that I'm looking for. It has a nice thump too it, but it doesn't drown everything else out, like Beats. However the high's are somewhat muted and not as bright as what I'd like them to be.

The Denon's aren't as nice looking at the SOL's, and don't feel as well made. However the mids and highs are exactly what I'm looking for. But where they lack is on the low end.

If I'm listening to something harder like Chevelle, the SOL's are awesome. But if I'm listening to something mellower like Dire Straight's Sultan of Swing, the Denon's crispness really shines.

So I'm at a loss. Of the 2 which would you pick? Or is there a middle ground somewhere else, preferably under $200?

My perfect set would be an amalgamation of the 2 sounds, with the look and feel of the SOL's. Looks aren't everything, but they do count for something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 12
With no first-hand experience, I'd offer you to research the Beyerdynamic Dt990's. and the "Pro" version which is, no matter what anyone says the same thing but made of plastic instead of Aluminum. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 12
  With no first-hand experience, I'd offer you to research the Beyerdynamic Dt990's. and the "Pro" version which is, no matter what anyone says the same thing but made of plastic instead of Aluminum. 

Those look good. But I realize now that I failed to mention that I was also looking for closed headphones.

Anyone else?

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 12
There are a ton of great closed cans under $200:
ES FC300: Basically sounds like a $300 headphone. Freakin fantastic. Emphasized bass, balanced sound signature (good treble presence)
Martin Logan Mikros 90: Veeeeeery detailed. If you have bad recordings, or a bad source, stay away. They're kind of bright, great bass presence.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Very dark, very fast, though kind of unbalanced sounding.  Fantastic isolation, they look a little dorky while on the head.  The lack of treble and detail makes it lose to the ES FC300.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 12
So I picked up a pair of Monster Inspirations from the Windows Store. They had them on sale for $150, so I figured I might as well give them a try, especially at that price. I am actually very surprised! The base is a lot tighter than the SOL's and the mids and highs don't sound muted. For now I think I found the headphones I was looking for. And on a plus side they are pretty decent at the active noise cancellation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back