First SDXC Memory Card
Mar 7, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by flexium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea but are there anything that can read the card??...its a long way off

I'm sure some company is working on it as I type this text.
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 14
it will be years until it kills off hdd going off the price of solid state storage.

Considering you can get a terrabyte hdd for 70-ish quid its a bit of a jest that 32gigs in cf format costs the same-ish

granted, you wont fit a terrabyte hdd into your ipod, but would ya want to spend 70 quid for 32 gigs? I wouldn't even though it would almost double the storage in my ihp 120.

A quid a gig is expensive, but id be much more inclined to pay that kind of price.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 14
What this really means is more competition. What you will see is the HDD's/GB price will continue to drop faster than flash's/GB price. I prefer flash over HDD because they don't crash, you can drain the battery down to zero and not worry, no mechanical noise, faster access time, they don't slow down over time, no spin up/down, etc... However, these come at a price.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 14
Very true, I forgot the fact that the GB per dollar ration is far better with HDD than flash....I prefer HDD based players because of the huge storage capacity. Also the difference of thickness between a iPod Touch and a Zune 120 or iPod Classic is not even that huge to really justify losing 88gb of extra space...
This year Microsoft should release a Zune touch with a 4 inch or larger screen with graphical abilities comparable to a PSP for video games and a CPU as powerful as the Xbox 1 with a 240gb 1.8" HDD. That my friend would end Apple.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, these come at a price.

and reduced storage, which combined with the price as you mentioned, is where the rub's at.

The moment solid state hits decent amounts of storage (and by decent in a portable setting I mean 60-80 gigs and above) for a decent and reasonable price for that storage space, then I along with the rest of the free world would be all over it.

I prefer hdd at the moment owing to its capacities, but there is no contest if solid state could compete with those capacities.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very true, I forgot the fact that the GB per dollar ration is far better with HDD than flash....I prefer HDD based players because of the huge storage capacity. Also the difference of thickness between a iPod Touch and a Zune 120 or iPod Classic is not even that huge to really justify losing 88gb of extra space...
This year Microsoft should release a Zune touch with a 4 inch or larger screen with graphical abilities comparable to a PSP for video games and a CPU as powerful as the Xbox 1 with a 240gb 1.8" HDD. That my friend would end Apple.

It would if Zune would like to also be compatible to those of us who uses macs. Otherwise, not really.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a 32GB SDHC card in my D2, its usfull, i also use it as a rudamentry portable storage,

Unfortunately, they may not be compatible, i.e., you may not be able to swap your 32gb SDHC with a 32gb/64gb SDXC which is really a bummer.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would if Zune would like to also be compatible to those of us who uses macs. Otherwise, not really.

Mac users can run Windows using Bootcamp. You need a copy of a Windows installation disc and enough space on your HDD for the space required.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 14
So for those that have a mac but no windows:

Buy Windows OS > Buy Parallels if you want to dual boot, otherwise you're restarting your computer to go into Windows to use the Zune to go into your MP3s which are in another partition > Reboot to go back to Mac OSX

It's just too much trouble for what it's worth and even too expensive. Why go through the trouble of getting something made for Windows and then find a way around it on a Mac?

I'm not saying that it's a worse player, but I'd rather not go an extra step to use an mp3 player. All microsoft has to do is make it easier for everyone to use it. That's one of the reasons what made iPod a huge success was the ease of use. But that's getting off topic.

In order for this technology to be the reason to kill off HDD players, it has to be cheaper and offer more space. Right now it's neither, though the market is pointing more toward flash memory anyway.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, they may not be compatible, i.e., you may not be able to swap your 32gb SDHC with a 32gb/64gb SDXC which is really a bummer.

They aren't compatible. The transfer speeds of SDHC and SDXC is completely different (so different SD spec version) as well as the fact that SDHC uses fat32 while SDXC uses exFAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back