First Rig (Sorry Wallet...) - Recommendations?
May 7, 2008 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

patton713MW

Head-Fier
Hey everyone! This is my first post here, though I have been reading on and off for a few years. I am finally about to invest in a rig, and I'd like your insight.

First of all, a bit about me to base your comments. I am a college student (IE: poor), and will be moving into an apartment next semester. That rules out cranking my Logitech speakers, neighbors wouldn't be happy. It also gives me enough justification to buy a nice headphone setup. For years I have been using a pair of Sony EX51s w/ a slightly modified CMoy, and its a bout time I upgrade.

As far as my music taste goes, it is pretty spread. I listen to classical, choral, jazz, some techno, latin, rock (but nothing heavy or aggressive), etc... I'm not sure what genre this would fit in, but I like music with vocal, acoustic guitar, and piano. I would have to say that my top priority for audio selection would be clear vocals and presentation for choral and classical pieces. After that I just want a good balance for the rest of the genres.

From what I have read, I have been going back and forth between the HD600s and the HD650s. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to audition either. For the time being I will run my headphones off of the CMoy, but I have plans on building a nicer amp. I have looked at both the PPA and the Millett Hybrid Maxed, leaning a bit more towards the latter.

So,
1) for my tastes, would the HD600 or HD650 be a better fit?
2) what about the DT880? HeadRoom's description seemed to fit my tastes just right
3) finally, for whatever headphone you recommend, would the PPA or Millett be a better amp? (if this is a question for the Amplifier section, I apologize)

Thanks in advance for you opinions! (My wallet is already getting suspicious...
tongue.gif
)

May 7, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 8
Rednamalas1 - I see you have a Millett, is that the v1 or the Maxed? How do you like it? Also, rock is not my first priority for music, how do the HD6x0, K701, or Dt880 work for classical or acoustic?

May 7, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 8
classical - I preferred K701s. but some prefer HD600. DT880 is decent as well IMO.

my MH is non-maxxed version with discrete Diamond buffers. for the money, I can't think of any other that can compete with this
biggrin.gif
(I paid 140$ from a fellow DIYer)

May 7, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 8
You mentioned that you'll be using a cmoy for starters, but do you plan on upgrading your amp anytime soon. That would make a difference as far as recommendations go.

May 7, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mentioned that you'll be using a cmoy for starters, but do you plan on upgrading your amp anytime soon. That would make a difference as far as recommendations go.

I do plan on building the amp in the near future. Make your headphone choice based on a Millett Hybrid Maxed (or PPA).

May 9, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 8
Ok, so I've done a bunch more reading, and I'm definitely leaning towards the DT880 now. The description on HeadRoom fits exactly what I am looking for. Can anyone confirm what the headroom guys say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back