First real (non iem) purchase! helpp
Oct 19, 2008 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

powasky

100+ Head-Fier
I've had er6i (lost them) and recently purchased q-jays. I really dig the q-jays for walking around, but I'd prefer something more comfortable and more dynamic for listening in my dorm room. I'm willing to spend around $300usd and would really prefer closed phones, as I don't want to disturb my roommate. I listen to a lot of post hardcore/punk/emocore-ish style stuff. Bands like Chiodos and Alesana...I don't really know how to put them into a genre. I like the sound signature of the q-jays but they sound a little bit anemic, but the Fiio e3 helps a little with that.

I'd be running a 5.5g iPod > Rockbox > mostly lossless > e3 (e5 if they do the group buy).

I know nothing about over the ear headphones so help me out!

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 16
Check out the Beyerdynamic DT770. They are closed, good quality, and on a particularly hot sale at amazon.com for $126 right now.

Otherwise the Ultrasones are a good alternative. I personally don't have much experience with closed so I can't be specific. I prefer open airs like most of the higher end Sennheisers.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm into an Ultrasone kick right now. Listening to the 2500's. Would highly recommend the Proline 750's.

What's kind of cool is that they come with an extra set of pads and two different cables. So if you got them, you wouldn't need to buy another earpad for a very, very long time.

Good luck.

Oct 19, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 16
Maxvla, why do you prefer open phones over closed? Better performance? How loud does the music sound to a bystander?

I'll look into the DT770 (should I also consider the 990?) and the Ultrasones. The only thing that worries me about the Prolines is that they're foldable...I wouldn't want them to feel cheaply built.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 16
I only listen to open at home. I prefer the open soundstage mostly. Open headphones are typically clear winners for classical and other lighter styles like jazz, choral, and acoustic folk, etc. They do well on other styles also, but closed headphones can usually do as well or better on heavier styles.

Sound leakage on open headphones is very noticeable. Anyone within 5 yards will be able to hear almost exactly what you are hearing without bass of course. I live alone so it's never a problem, and I certainly don't take my circumaural Sennheisers out in public! They are huge.

DT990 are open headphones. Many of the Ultrasones fold like that, and they are definately not cheaply built. There's a 5000+ post thread somewhere in this forum about Ultrasone headphones if you want to browse it. They have a dedicated following so I doubt they are poorly made.

Good luck.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 16
I think I've narrowed it down to the DT770 and the Ultrasones 750pro. Do I need anything other than the e3 or e5 to really drive these to potential? I might be able to pick up an amp (likely the iBasso D3) if it's really necessary.

Which of these would be better for rock-ish music?

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by powasky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maxvla, why do you prefer open phones over closed? Better performance? How loud does the music sound to a bystander?

I'll look into the DT770 (should I also consider the 990?) and the Ultrasones. The only thing that worries me about the Prolines is that they're foldable...I wouldn't want them to feel cheaply built.

Ultrasone foldables feel far from cheap... great design, can take years of folding/unfolding without any issues. There's no lateral flex in them - they fold when you want them to, otherwise they're totally solid.

Re: Denons - x2. Powerful bass (although a bit sloppy, easily fixed with Markl's mods), good high-end detail, all around great cans.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 16
Yes, consider the Denon line also. I had forgotten about them.

Are you going to be using these portably? If so I'd probably give a slight lean for easier to drive headphones (lower ohms, higher sensitivity) unless you just want to take an amp along with you, then you don't have to give consideration for ohm/sens.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 16
Another brand I just thought of is Audio Technica. They make some great closed headphones, especially the woodies if you can afford them.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, consider the Denon line also. I had forgotten about them.

Are you going to be using these portably? If so I'd probably give a slight lean for easier to drive headphones (lower ohms, higher sensitivity) unless you just want to take an amp along with you, then you don't have to give consideration for ohm/sens.

I'm planning on using them out of my laptop, so I'll have to get a DAC/amp anyway. Likely the D3 Python. Until I get the D3, all I've got is a Fiio E3.

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 16
You should check out the Zero DAC. There's a huge thread on it in the sources forum.

As for amp, depending on what phone you go with you can go as cheap (but quality) as a little dot I+ which is a hybrid ss and tube and get great sound for not much money. I think the Zero is $150 and the LD I+ is $79 using the MSLive 'rebate'. The seller on eBay for Little Dot is authorized so you get the rebate and the warranty. Of course there are other amps out there, this one is just a very nice price point. I haven't looked at fully solid state amps lately so I can't guide you there.

I just checked out that D3 Python. Looks like a nice setup and can be run with batteries so you could use it portably also. Price looks good too at $219 for both DAC and Amp.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another brand I just thought of is Audio Technica. They make some great closed headphones, especially the woodies if you can afford them.

Which phones are you referencing specifically? I saw the ATH-ESW9A, which are wood portable phones. Are those the ones you were talking about?

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 16
Check out the JVC HA RX900 headphones. They're a good bit below you $300 budget, but are great phones for the genres you mention.

I have the JVCs as well as Denon 1001s, and am looking to upgrade. I spent most of yesterday and today checking out headphones around town. Result: I didn't hear anything, at any price, that seemed to be that much of an improvement over the RX900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back