1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

First "Real" Dap, Pioneer XDP-30R

1. steelgtr
    Actually, my first DAP was and is an Ipod Gen 5.5 which at the time and long after was well received for its' Wolfson DAC.

The Pioneer is my first modern DAP and even through these ear buds:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRED12...qid=1416347174&sr=8-1&keywords=Sony+MDRED12LP

The detail is incredible with my FLAC rips and sample HD Tracks.

I was waiting for the FiiO M9 and got a great BF deal ($140) and thought I'd give it a go. Today I will try line out into my Mcintosh stereo and might order a 2.5mm to XLR adaptor since the Mc had balanced inputs.

Impressed so far!

bob

2. technobear
    Balanced headphone drive is not quite the same as balanced line drive.

With line drive you have a positive going signal, an inverted negative going signal and a ground reference. The ground reference may be important depending on the type of input circuit of the amplifier.

In headphone drive, you only need the positive and negative going signals as the headphone driver simply sees the potential difference between them and does not need the ground reference. You have no access to the ground reference from the DAP (from the 2.5mm plug).

If the input of the amp is a coil (i.e. one half of a transformer) as it is in the headphone case, then it would work without the ground but I don't know if this is true of McIntosh gear.

3. steelgtr
    Very impressed with this player; simple intuitive GUI, Easy windows drag and drop file transfer, fast boot up. Sounds great, good out put from HF/LO. 3 custom EQ's.

Not sure what the 32 bit upsampling and other sample conversions really does but sounds really nice.

Cons: HATE the volumd knob; tiny not knurled enough. Wish it was duplicated by side buttons...

Still have to wonder how sonically it stacks up the the M9 but I guess I'll never know unless I try one of those also. But for $140.00. shipped I think it's agreat deal.

thx

bob

4. steelgtr
    Very impressed with this player; simple intuitive GUI, Easy windows drag and drop file transfer, fast boot up. Sounds great, good out put from HF/LO. 3 custom EQ's.

Not sure what the 32 bit upsampling and other sample conversions really does but sounds really nice.

Cons: HATE the volumd knob; tiny not knurled enough. Wish it was duplicated by side buttons...

Still have to wonder how sonically it stacks up the the M9 but I guess I'll never know unless I try one of those also. But for $140.00. shipped I think it's agreat deal.

thx

bob

5. steelgtr
    On paper, does the Pio spec out better than the FiiO M9?