First proper headphones-considering MDR-V6
Oct 11, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
can't you just balance that with an equalizer if I end up not liking the high trebs?

More than likely yes. I use an old Sansa e260 as an MP3...well WMA player and I have XD200's While these phones aren't the greatest, my Sansa has a custom 5 band eualizer setting.

I have had hi-fi headphones in the past, Sony most of my natural life. I never got tthe V6's back in the late 80's/early 90's because at 16 all I could afford were MDR-35's whiich I still have back in my old home. I have a pair of MDR-w15's that I lent to my son, but you know kids they are too dirty for me to use.

As far as the 7506's, I heard they are not the same as the V6, but at the same time are almost identical. The V6;s are older hands down.
With the V6's because they are older, the warranty is shorter, and the replacement will be the V600's, which I heard don't come close.

I'm getting a pair of V6's and I used to walk past them for years at Circuit City, before we got a Best Buyback in the early 90's Now I'm 37 and Im getting a pair from Newegg. And trust me they are a reputable dealer thanks to a user here named Kukuk who gave me advice to get these.

I want one for street, and I will track down the mythical V7's or it's counterpart the CD900ST's for when I go back to making beats/Dj'ing full swing next year.

Oh if you wanna see the difference between real and fake V6's then check out this post:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1543716

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #18 of 32
I've never heard the v6, though I was considering them at one point. I ended up getting the m50s. They sound great once burned in and can be powered by a ipod or computer without a problem. I like them because they aren't too bright and sound great with all types of music.

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #19 of 32
Given the choice, I'd probably go for the M50 as well. When it comes purely to musical enjoyment, I'd actually take a KSC-75 over the V6, though I realize I might be in the minority there. The V6's were much too shrill for my tastes, though I did appreciate their design.

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #20 of 32
so basically the m50's are significantly more equalized but for overall sound quality probably only slightly better, so if I like loud treble then either choice should be fine, else go with m50's correct?

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #21 of 32
Honestly, I think as long as you listen at reasonable volumes you won't fine the treble on the V6's to be a bother. The treble will be a bit more pronounced than everything else, but that compliments rock VERY well.

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #22 of 32

Quote:
Given the choice, I'd probably go for the M50 as well. When it comes purely to musical enjoyment, I'd actually take a KSC-75 over the V6, though I realize I might be in the minority there. The V6's were much too shrill for my tastes, though I did appreciate their design.

No, not a minority opinion.  I'd chose the Koss over the V6 for musical enjoyment as well.  I'd rather listen to my Senn PX100 than my V6.  The V6 gives you as much musical soul as a Dementor (see Harry Potter).  It sucks the soul from the music.

My view of the V6 is that it is not intended for music listening.  It is a studio tool for listening to sounds.  There is a difference between sound and music.  The V6 also has a predictable frequency response behavior so can be used to make EQ decisions once you learn its sound.  Its use is as a tool not as something for music enjoyment.

I would save up for the M50.  It is actually enjoyable to listen to.

Unfortunately the V6 was my first "good" headphone more than 25 years ago.  I didn't know any better.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #23 of 32

Basically you're still trying to talk yourself into buying the V6. Just don't search "M50" and read about it so you won't regret buying the Sony.   

Quote:
so basically the m50's are significantly more equalized but for overall sound quality probably only slightly better, so if I like loud treble then either choice should be fine, else go with m50's correct?

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #24 of 32
I've had both. Look at my signature. The M50's are definitely better in all regards (except perhaps, comfort, but the V6's sacrifice isolation). I enjoy a nice treble (I own the K702 and AD700), but the V6's were just way too bright for listening. The V6's are definitely detailed, and I can see why one would use them for monitoring, but for listening pleasure, they were too sibilant, especially on female voices.

If you have the budget, definitely go for the M50.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #25 of 32
Like most things in life, headphones don't work that way. Audio follows the law of diminishing returns. As any activity is extended, it becomes increasingly difficult to pursue that activity further.

There's always a nice price/performance ratio, and the M50's hit the spot.

Do you live near a Guitar Center? They should have M50's readily available for demo..

Quote:
I'm asking for specific reasons as to why they are better.. I can try the mdr-v6 out in a nearby store, unlike the audio technica's, and spending extra money needs justification, if they're almost double the price they should be almost double as good

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #26 of 32
Try to get the M50 if you can. I bought the V6 for my first headphone after doing a lot of research here. I was impressed at first but it was too harsh for long hours of listening. Another thing that you need to take into consideration is cost of replacing the ear pads. Good luck and stay away from this forum after buying a headphone.

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #27 of 32
Audio-Technica ATH M50 Is better than the V6? Hmmm....But I may check them out as a another pair later on.

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #28 of 32
For the money, the V6 is a good headphone, definitely among the best in its price range, but it does have some flaws. As other have mentioned, the treble can be pretty harsh, especially on poorly produced music. I don't see many people here mention it here but in my opinion the bass can become a little too much sometimes, unless you listen to a lot of bassy music and like that sort of thing it can be pretty fatiguing; it's not that the bass is bad, there's just a bit too much for me. Also of note is the lack of a soundstage, there is virtually none.

That said, they do provide a decent amount of isolation, especially when playing music, they're in your price range, I'd say they're circumaural (some try to argue that they're supra-aural but they must have some pretty big ears...) and comfortable (but some also disagree and mod them with Beyer 250 pads), easily driven from an mp3 player and portable and I'd say they're pretty durable (they don't feel like something you could break by stepping on them and I've thrown them in my bag several times to use at college and they've dealt with it fine).

Honestly, if this is the first proper headphone that you buy, I'm certain you'll be impressed by the sound, it was my first proper pair of headphones and it took me quite a while to train my ears to the flaws with it.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #29 of 32

Quote:
For the money, the V6 is a good headphone, definitely among the best in its price range, but it does have some flaws. As other have mentioned, the treble can be pretty harsh, especially on poorly produced music. I don't see many people here mention it here but in my opinion the bass can become a little too much sometimes, unless you listen to a lot of bassy music and like that sort of thing it can be pretty fatiguing; it's not that the bass is bad, there's just a bit too much for me. Also of note is the lack of a soundstage, there is virtually none.

That said, they do provide a decent amount of isolation, especially when playing music, they're in your price range, I'd say they're circumaural (some try to argue that they're supra-aural but they must have some pretty big ears...) and comfortable (but some also disagree and mod them with Beyer 250 pads), easily driven from an mp3 player and portable and I'd say they're pretty durable (they don't feel like something you could break by stepping on them and I've thrown them in my bag several times to use at college and they've dealt with it fine).

Honestly, if this is the first proper headphone that you buy, I'm certain you'll be impressed by the sound, it was my first proper pair of headphones and it took me quite a while to train my ears to the flaws with it.

yeah< i have had some great headphones in my day. I just forget which ones I had over the years. I just really got back into portable players and headphones. Thanks for the advice.

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #30 of 32
thanks for the advice! I'll try them out to see if I notice the lack of soundstage or the treble to a degree where it bothers me, I'm fine with a punchy bass though
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back