First proper headphones-considering MDR-V6
Oct 11, 2010 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

gdriverx

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm trying to decide on a good pair of headphones as my first proper pair.  I own a pair of cheap skullcandy earbuds, and the turtlebeach earforce x1(horrible $40 gaming headphones), I'm also a college student which puts limits on what headphones I could get.  I was considering grado sr80i for a while but ultimately think they won't insulate the sound enough
my requirement are:
-Closed Ear (loud roommates)
-Sub $100
-Circumaural (again loud roommates)
-Fairly Comfortable (use for studying)
-Wide applications (mp3 player, laptop, movies, games)
-Durability(bose is out lol)

Purposes:
-Variety of music(alternative rock(U2, coldplay), techno, hip hop(kid cudi), rap, classical)
-Movies/tv
-Gaming

I've read countless reviews all saying that the MDR-V6 are superb for they're type and price, I also like they're style and that they don't require a lot of driving power.  The only issues I have that I'd really want expert advice on is that I've read that they are very "mechanical" and can be difficult to listen to(the music doesn't blend together well?) I'm not 100% sure how important this is and if I, as an audio "nooby", will notice this very much.  I'd love to hear from some people who have MDR-V6's and other headphones around that price range.

Other headphones I'm considering:
-sennheiser HD280 pro (low bass and fairly large)
-audio technica ATH-PRO5(ugly design, not sure of sound quality)

Thanks in advance!

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 32
The V6's are a great place to start. Their build quality is EXCELLENT. They far exceed my AKG K271's, which cost twice as much. Isolation is also much better, even when no music is coming through it's hard to hear people talking.

I don't know about "difficult to listen to"... But I guess I could see that if you're listening at high volumes, as when the volume goes up the treble becomes pretty intense. But I kind of like that, it prevented me from listening to music as levels that could potentially damage my hearing.

You just have to be careful where you buy them, as there are a lot of counterfeit out there. Even Amazon sells counterfeits!

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 32
I don' have an amp yet but I might get one at some point in the future, and I want these to last
as of right now:
-sony yp-z5
-thinkpad t410
-lg flatscreen tv
I don't like the in-ear ones, they tend to fall out of my ears when I'm moving around, and I never find them to be particularly comfortable for extended periods of time.  Thank you for the welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 32
If your biggest concern is isolation, I would recommend slipping a pair of IEMs under a pair of Peltor optime 105. 

My recommendation, RE0 > optime 105.

The optime themselves reduces noise by 29 dB, much more with music in your ears.

You would look really silly while wearing them, but you wouldn't be able to hear the rest of the world.

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 32
You're welcome. The ATH-M50 can be bought new on eBay from a U.S. seller with warranty for under $100 shipped. Just buy from the right auction to get either a straight or coiled cable. I suspect the one's selling for even less from China are fake.

Quote:
I don' have an amp yet but I might get one at some point in the future, and I want these to last
as of right now:
-sony yp-z5
-thinkpad t410
-lg flatscreen tv
I don't like the in-ear ones, they tend to fall out of my ears when I'm moving around, and I never find them to be particularly comfortable for extended periods of time.  Thank you for the welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 32
I looked at those for a while, the only reason I'm not fully considering them is because of their higher price, and from the looks I don't think the build quality is nearly as good as the sony's.  I don't understand exactly what is better about them, other than the style being "different"

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 32
From what I have read about these two headphones for nearly the past 2 years is that build quality has not been an issue with either. So I suggest not putting too much weight in your ability to determine otherwise by viewing them on line. I suggest searching "M50" if you have doubts about it. 

And, if you were to start a thread and took a poll, I'm guessing at least 9 out of 10 Head-Fiers would choose the M50 over the Sony V6 as the headphones that you more likely would prefer. That is not to say you actually would prefer the M50 over the V6, but my guess is you very likely would.

Quote:
I looked at those for a while, the only reason I'm not fully considering them is because of their higher price, and from the looks I don't think the build quality is nearly as good as the sony's.  I don't understand exactly what is better about them, other than the style being "different"

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 32
Why is that though, I don't quite understand the difference between the two, other than the price of the m50 being almost twice that of the V6, what about their sound quality makes them better?  I keep hearing about the V6 seperating the tones too much, and that it equalizes different sounds oddly sometimes, does this have anything to do with it? 

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 32

As for descriptions of their differences etc, you're better off searching and reading what Head-Fiers have to say about each. I don't recall reading any direct comparisons between the M50 and V6. But if you want to wait to see if someone posts who has used both, that's up to you - depends on how patient you are. You might want to change the title of this thread to something like V6 vs M50 - $100 budget. In the past I have read high praise of the V6 from many Head-Fiers, but also what I consider legitimate criticisms. Personally, I wouldn't bother buying the V6 if I had $100 to spend. Add to this, currently, the M50 is probably the most popular and highly praised closed headphones in this price range.

Quote:
Why is that though, I don't quite understand the difference between the two, other than the price of the m50 being almost twice that of the V6, what about their sound quality makes them better?  I keep hearing about the V6 seperating the tones too much, and that it equalizes different sounds oddly sometimes, does this have anything to do with it?  

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #11 of 32
form nearly 18 years of MDR-V6 usage...get the DT250 Pads!  plus get used to highend shrill

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #12 of 32
the main problem I have about buying the V6 is what I just again read at a different forum, here's the quote: "The EQ curve of thr 7506 are more fatiguing and my ears ring after wearing them a long time."  (the 7506 is the pro version of the V6, almost the exact same sound)  and yeah after researching it more it does seem like the M50 is the more popular choice, but I'd rather spend less and save for an amp or something like that, how much of a difference would I notice between the two(coming from a background of bad headphones)

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #13 of 32
I suggest being patient... that is, until you're ready to buy the M50.

Quote:
the main problem I have about buying the V6 is what I just again read at a different forum, here's the quote: "The EQ curve of thr 7506 are more fatiguing and my ears ring after wearing them a long time."  (the 7506 is the pro version of the V6, almost the exact same sound)  and yeah after researching it more it does seem like the M50 is the more popular choice, but I'd rather spend less and save for an amp or something like that, how much of a difference would I notice between the two(coming from a background of bad headphones)

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 32
I'm asking for specific reasons as to why they are better.. I can try the mdr-v6 out in a nearby store, unlike the audio technica's, and spending extra money needs justification, if they're almost double the price they should be almost double as good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back