first project, questions about soldering supplies
Oct 1, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
Some of those URL texts look fairly interesting, but many go to 404s...

Also, I'm not sure there is such a thing as formal training for soldering. I hang around with EEs all day, and pretty much everyone I know taught themselves, picked it up through a friend or mentor, or picked it up on the job (academic and industrial).

You could be right, but I would hope that folks getting paid to do sophisticated and critical work have a high degree of training and use accepted practices.  CMoy is one thing, but space shuttle is another.
ksc75smile.gif

I thought this video was impressive!

BK

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #17 of 36

Some of those URL texts look fairly interesting, but many go to 404s...

Also, I'm not sure there is such a thing as formal training for soldering. I hang around with EEs all day, and pretty much everyone I know taught themselves, picked it up through a friend or mentor, or picked it up on the job (academic and industrial).

Not only is there formal training, there are formal certifications as well (such as certified to MIL-STD-2000).

Usually, the company that needs that type of individual as an assembler or technician will train them and pay for the certifications as well. You might check with a technical school in your area and see what they offer if you are really interested.

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 36
That would do it...wrong environment.

On the other hand, it might be a good idea for me to look into that then organize something on campus. Technicians are hardly the only ones who could benefit.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #19 of 36
Did some practicing with the RS protoboard and a pack of diodes.  Tested out various temperatures and tips.  Very happy with the quality of the joints I was making.

Purchased a cmoybb board from JDS and individual components from mouser and digi-key.  Put it together tonight and learned some techniques along the way.  Wonderful little warmup project, and it sounds surprisingly good!  The bass boost is a great feature.  I like this unit a lot!

So, I think I am now ready to tackle my Mini-3 with confidence.  Already planning more follow-up projects!

BK

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #20 of 36
oh nos, hes already a gonner.

my congratulations for your mind and my condolences for your wallet. DIY does NOT save money, that is utter fantasy. what it does do is provide a great experience and the ability to build exactly what you want, how you want it.

the previous page of this thread shocked me; 700 degrees for 2 seconds!!!! OMG that is insane for any type of soldering. even for cables you will ruin dielectric, cause oxidization of the metal and basically destroy components. very hot and very quick with a high mass tip can sometimes be useful, like when soldering up battery packs and trying to keep from effecting the capacity, but for anything but jewelry soldering with high silver solder those sort of temps are crazy.

one tip for the OP WRT SMD stuff; flux flux and more flux. dont over do it of course, but I use flux for avery joint I make; helps make a quality smooth shiny joint more quickly.

there are some very cool and rather tricky SMD techniques once you get a bit more confident. its quite possible to solder all the pins of an opamp in 2 swipes and a quick clean up with the braid and flux.

oh and the space shiuttle is soldered in ovens and by robots, but I get your meaning
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #21 of 36
SMD parts are actually much easier to solder then you would think.  On many you can use drag soldering.
Make sure you use some flux and have some braiding on hand.  If you get any bridges between pins don't worry about it.  You can clean it up with the braiding.
There are many around here that have taught themselves and have amazing soldering technique.  It is a great skill to have and very handy in the audio game.

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #26 of 36
I have a paint stripper too...

I used to have a nice Steinel heat gun at work but
I can't afford one for use at home. 
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #27 of 36
I have been eying a Steinel for the longest time now but just can't afford one at the moment. But i hope to invest in one and get a metcal unit sometime early next year. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #28 of 36

Quote:
Yep just a little "hit" and you will be hooked and looking for a big project to do.

I built a Heathkit LCD alarm clock 30+ years ago when I was still a young pup, back when LCD was too cool.  I used that thing with pride for literally DECADES.  Not sure what happened to it, but it was a tank.  Hoping these projects are just as useful.  I guess that first little hit sensitized my system.

Yep, I've had a heat gun for a few years and it comes in real handy.

BK

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #29 of 36
They are so handy for doing SMD rework.
I had a stereo microscope there too...

Quote:
I have been eying a Steinel for the longest time now but just can't afford one at the moment. But i hope to invest in one and get a metcal unit sometime early next year. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back