First post - Need an opinion
Dec 14, 2017 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Holt

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! Sorry for cluttering up the forum with more noob posts about first purchase stuff. But hey, that's what the forum's for right?

I've been rocking a pair of Mee Audio M6pros for about two years now and wanna get a pair of overears. The IEMs are nice, but they get tiring to have in for long sessions. Here's what I like, I like the nice punchy mids - guitar chords and chugs sound awesome with these - I like the detail in the midrange, it's really easy to pick out all of the nuances and character in the music. But unfortunately the lows are blurred and muddy, and the highs are a bit too edgy (imo). I'd like a bit clearer low end with all the same (or better preferably) clarity and focus in the mid, I'm not too worried about high end (I'm not listening to anything that really needs great high end). As always budget friendly, I'm really trying for around 100-150 with a max of about 2.

You guys think you can find me something?
Holt

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 8
What you are describing is the HD-650’s. Do you need open or closed backs?

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 8
The Phillips Fidelio L2 would probably suit you really well. If you can catch them on sale they go for as low as $100.00 They have amazing sound quality, the materials are top notch, they are built really well, and they look great. Nothing in the price range can touch it. They are also very easy to drive, they sound great out of a cell phone and just get better with a better amp.
Here's a good review: https://www.headfonia.com/the-phenomenal-philips-fidelio-l2-feat-fidelio-m1bt-review/

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 8

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Just recommended these to someone else - HiFiMan Edition S. I paid $159 a few months ago, now on sale from HiFiMan or Amazon at $129. Light, comfortable with nice punchy bass that's not fuzzy or mumbly, great mids, and treble that's not harsh or tiring. I was able to try against a lot of other, mostly as or more expenxive and these, for me, won hands down. Amazon usually takes returns within 30 days no questions asked.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 8
@buke9 I'd prefer close backs, while I love the larger soundstage of an open back, I don't want a lot of sound leakage. I'm still in school and would rather not have an audience when I'm jamming to some Aversions Crown in homeroom XP

@Cruelhand Luke (Love that movie btw) I really like these, from the reviews they sound awesome, and they don't need an amp (which I forgot to add, I don't have/don't have money to have) and they don't look half bad either. Thanks

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 8
no problem. For what it's worth, their sound leakage is minimal for a semi open back. I wear mine out in public all the time and have never had anyone even mention the sound coming out of them. However, if you have them up loud, in a very quiet room, you can hear music playing.

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 8
Hey guys! Sorry for cluttering up the forum with more noob posts about first purchase stuff. But hey, that's what the forum's for right?

I've been rocking a pair of Mee Audio M6pros for about two years now and wanna get a pair of overears. The IEMs are nice, but they get tiring to have in for long sessions. Here's what I like, I like the nice punchy mids - guitar chords and chugs sound awesome with these - I like the detail in the midrange, it's really easy to pick out all of the nuances and character in the music. But unfortunately the lows are blurred and muddy, and the highs are a bit too edgy (imo). I'd like a bit clearer low end with all the same (or better preferably) clarity and focus in the mid, I'm not too worried about high end (I'm not listening to anything that really needs great high end). As always budget friendly, I'm really trying for around 100-150 with a max of about 2.

You guys think you can find me something?
Holt

Honestly, I think you'd be better sticking to IEM than a closed back headphone, especially at that price point. The IEM market has a lot of variety now, unlike the closed headphone market. It'd be much easier to find something to suit your needs.

If you still want a closed back, the Shure SRH440 and SRH 840 are good if you can bear with their coiled cable and how easily the headphone falls of your head while moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back