First Post. Any must read threads?
Jul 23, 2018 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fatality_strykes

New Head-Fier
Came across Head-fi when I was looking for headphone recommendations for PC 3 years ago via reddit. Picked up the Sennheiser 598SE (My budget entry into audiophile world) & Logitech G430. I use the 598SE daily while the G430 has been used a few times for gaming. I’ll try and figure out a way to keep both connected to the PC.

Decided to join now as I came across a few threads while researching Chinese IEMs. I’m looking to replace the AKG earphones that came along with the Samsung S8. I really liked the AKG as they were the only ones that actually stayed in my ear and had pretty good soundstage.

I’m currently looking at the KZ ED16 & ZS3. Going the Chinese way as they a decently priced and shipping doesn’t cost much since I’m not in the US or UK.

Any recommended threads to continue my research? Or to learn about what V-sound and low mids (and other terminology) sounds like. Total noob here.

Oh ya. HI!

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 12
Go for the ZS6 if you want a V shape sound signature.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 12
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 12
Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 12
Welcome aboard!! What is your budget for these earphones?

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping for something budget friendly since I ll be using it in while commuting and maybe in the gym as well. Maybe around 20 USD or so and i ll probably throw in a bluetooth cable after a while.

Go for the ZS6 if you want a V shape sound signature.

Thanks for your reply. I don't really know what a V-sound signature is. Was hoping to find a thread explaining such terms. I listen to a lot of Dance, Hip Hop, Reggaeton and Latin music if that helps.

pro tip, for looooong threads, read backwards. start at the last page and work your way backwards...it's a skill, but one that you can acquire.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2286#post-14334514

That's the thread that made me sign up. Yup starting a huge thread from the end is what i learnt on XDA :)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 12
V-Shaped - The description of a frequency response curve for a speaker or headphone. In layman's terms it means more prominent lows and highs with a recessed mid-range, hence the "V" shape formed from such a sound signature. Similar to a "U" shaped response curve but is generally used to describe a more dramatic difference.
from the glossary:

https://www.head-fi.org/articles/describing-sound-a-glossary.12328/

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 12
Yup that's why I'm going the chinese route.
My other hobbies include photography and driving. Hence my wallet's going to be in worse shape by next year.

"sorry for your wallet" is a common trope around here.... but if you do your homework, read a lot of threads, and figure out what it is you really want/need this doesn't have to be an expensive hobby. Headfi is a great resource to help you NOT waste a ton of money on gear that doesn't suit your needs...sure, it can open your eyes to a lot of toys you might not need, but be a big boy and resist the urge to buy a bunch of redundant headphones/daps/amps etc and you can hear your music better than you ever have for reasonable amount of money

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 12
Well, I'd start with looking in the Headphones section of the forum and browsing through the "Useful links" section at the top.

There's a couple of links there to a glossary of terms to help you with the language used here. A describing sound page that further explains some of the terms you'll read here. And there's an all-new headphone buying guide, which of course is wildly out of date, but still useful.

Getting aquainted with the basics in terms of understanding the fundamentals will help you greatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back