First post. AblePlanet Headphone questions
Oct 8, 2009 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Snow_Fox

100+ Head-Fier
I read the newbie guide before starting and did a few (not a lot lol but, I did at least look) searches on the forum.

I am not looking for a "dream rig" or any sort. In fact I know very little about high quality headphones and sound set ups. So I will not be purchasing anything besides headphones immediately. I am really trying to emphasize all I am looking for is a high quality set of headphones. If its the last set of high quality headphones I ever buy I won't be too sad.

Now. Here is what I am looking for.

A relatively cheap set of headphones which will be able to "reveal" the source of files I listen to. As weird as it may sound I have become very interested in hearing a higher standard of music.

I am looking at the AblePlanet NC600 earphones for 50$. I know the starter guide said not to obsess over reviews but, sadly I research all products I buy and weigh most of them pretty heavily.

None of the reviews I have read state whether or not the headphones "reveal" the source and that is what I am really looking for. Or its what I am primarily looking for.

If having a set of high quality headphones is my first objective then trying to save hearing is my second. I am 21 and my hearing is "selective" some days I can't hear to save my life other days I can hear extremely well. I am kinda afraid that because I like listening to particularly loud music. I currently use a cheap 10$ pair of JVC ear buds I picked up at my school. Sure they are loud enough but, I've begun to wonder whether or not having the loud music in my ear like that is really worse for my hearing than a set of earphones that cover the ears.

My final questions are pretty simple and semi covered by previous questions. But, this is more for confirmation. If I get a high quality set of headphones will my music "sound louder" than it sounds on a regular set of headphones? Its hard to explain however, I have been wondering *if* I am using a set of head phones, and the music sounds clearer, that makes it easier to understand.. so then would it sound louder because there is less interference? I like my music loud but, if it were clearer, I could hear the subtle things at a lower volume.. then I would be getting more out of less if that makes any sense.

Aside from volume, is there any relevant data about how volume damages your ears in ear bud vs full headphones?

Again I want to stress that I am not trying to build any sort of super "dream rig", nor am I trying to drop a lot of money on some spectacular set of head phones. I just want a decent "starter" set of headphones that will "reveal" the source of my music.

I may start recollecting all my music and saving it as lossless codec on my external hard drive if I enjoy the headphones enough, and I really would like to gain a greater appreciation for my music. It would be nice to hear songs I've herd a million times before in a slightly new light.

And if fortune favors me all of this may help save me some hearing. Odds are I will still use ear buds for my portable media player.. but, I really would like a set of headphones that are of a higher quality and to experience something new.

So will the AblePlanet NC600 meet my needs?

Sorry if I rambled.

Edit: As a point of reference I am currently using JVC Gummy whatsitcalled assuming specs haven't changed on em since a year or so ago specs are like 16 hz to 20,000 hz.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 9
Would you please compare the SENNHEISER PX100 to JVC gummy whats it called..

I am not trying to be picky but, I never have had a "spectacular" set of headphones and I'm quite interested in exploring my options.

I also noticed the Grado SR-60i set which I find to be around my budget.
I feel its also worth mentioning that I have seen the Grado SR-60i Suggested more than once on other forums.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi, first of all.

Now, AblePlanet isn't often discussed around here, so I doubt you'll find information and opinions on them here. I would recommend hanging around for a few days to get a hang of what is often recommended at your price point.
I've noticed that those NC600s are noise canceling cans. Do you really need noise canceling? Typically NC sets have worse sound overall than other headphones at the same price range.
If you need something that will block outside sound, look for headphones that are isolating. An even better choice would be to look into IEMs, but some people are uncomfortable having little things in their ears.

Revealing headphones will show you all the flaws, so really I think if it's within your ability you should get your music in lossless formats.
That said, what is your price limit? Most cheaper headphones are not praised for their revealing abilities from what I read (but I'm sure we can find something that you would enjoy).

No, your music won't sound louder on a nice pair of headphones than it does on a bad pair unless you turn the volume up. Quality headphones are able to reproduce clear and well structured sound at low volumes, so you can keep your hearing. So I think you're on the right track, you will be getting better sound at lower volumes.

What kind of music do you listen to? That is typically important when picking a pair of headphones.

Good luck!

[edit: The PX100 and Grado SR-60s are both heavily praised around these parts. Note that I don't have experience with either of these, but the PX100s are probably going to be smooth and darker while the SR-60s are more forward and bright.]

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 9
Well first let me say thanks for asking questions XD. I appreciate your qualifying me for the right set.

As to the "Loudness issue" I think whats lacking is my vocabulary. I listen to music that is enjoyable louder. Its hard to say why but, Its safe to say the reason will vary song to song. Some songs are just clearer at higher levels I think.

As to what kind of music it is.. I try not to be elitist.. I generally classify it all as "metal". It is something along the lines of: Disturbed, 3 days Grace, Cradle of Filth, Rammstein, Metallica, Korn, Rise Against, Slipknot, and random things all of which are classified in the rock/metal genre.

My budget is extremely limited. I am looking at 50-65 dollars. As I said before.. I would like to get some headphones that "reveal" and play around with lossless formats. Part of this driving me is a curiosity situation, another is the hope that with clearer music I won't be as tempted to turn up the volume, and that the subtle things will be more pronounced and enjoyable.

I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about when I mention a guitar/bass playing that you can barely hear in the background..

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snow_Fox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My budget is extremely limited. I am looking at 50-65 dollars. As I said before.. I would like to get some headphones that "reveal" and play around with lossless formats. Part of this driving me is a curiosity situation, another is the hope that with clearer music I won't be as tempted to turn up the volume, and that the subtle things will be more pronounced and enjoyable.

I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about when I mention a guitar/bass playing that you can barely hear in the background..

My setup below will probably give what you need.

Limited budget.
Loss less music.
Revealing headphones.

valiente-albums-valiente-album-picture2456-dsc01177.jpg

Grado Rocks!

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 9
I've read about the phenomenon where increased volume seems to sound like increased clarity. Don't remember where it was. I was kind of getting the "vibe" that this was what you were talking about in your first post.
In any case, like I said earlier, quality headphones will sound better at lower volumes. Hopefully it'll help you turn the volume down to preserve hearing. Metal is a loud genre in general though and it is fun to listen to it loud, heh. Just be careful!

I don't feel that I've listened to enough headphones to give you the best recommendation. I'm sure someone will be here soon enough to give you a good one. Also, perhaps try a search in the forums; you'll very likely find other posts where someone likes metal and is looking for a pair of cans.

The guitar/bass that you can barely hear may not necessarily be a problem that can be resolved with just a better pair of headphones. That's not to say it won't be improved, but it's not guaranteed. It could simply be the way the song was recorded/mastered.
I think jumping from the JVC gumy to a pair in the ~$50 range will show an improvement, but it will still more than likely be recessed.

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 9
For what its worth. You are right to some degree. Some things *are* meant to be subtle and metal *is* made to be played loud. However, for what its worth my JVC seem to have been a really good deal for 10%.

However, You are right in saying the "phenomenon" where music sounds clearer at louder levels is what I am talking about. Whether real or imagened I feel there is usually a "sweet spot" for various bands where at a certain volume they do sound clearer.. and even on low quality equipment it gives you a much better "in the crowd" feeling.

I am hoping finding some quality headphones which sound clearer all around will lower that bar some.

Now I suppose the question is bang vs. buck. Will the 50$ improvement be worth the upgrade?

If you don't mind me asking what version of grado are those? SR60i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back