First pair of over-ear headphones
Aug 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

msw475

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, 

I'm looking for a decent pair of headphones for around $100 (Canadian). I plan to use them primarily around the house; either listening to music on my laptop or my records. I generally listen to rock music  (classic/hard rock/metal). Probably be using them a lot for Black Sabbath and similar bands. Here's a few models I've been considering:

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Sennheiser HD 439 or 449
Shure SRH440
Grado SR60i
Sony MDR-V6 

I'm open to other models as well but I'm trying to keep it close to budget. Any opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated; pretty much a complete noob so any input would be helpful.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
Hey everyone, 

I'm looking for a decent pair of headphones for around $100 (Canadian). I plan to use them primarily around the house; either listening to music on my laptop or my records. I generally listen to rock music  (classic/hard rock/metal). Probably be using them a lot for Black Sabbath and similar bands. Here's a few models I've been considering:

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Sennheiser HD 439 or 449
Shure SRH440
Grado SR60i
Sony MDR-V6 

I'm open to other models as well but I'm trying to keep it close to budget. Any opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated; pretty much a complete noob so any input would be helpful.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound and isolate poorly)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 13
I'm not a big rock guy, but my bud loves Grados for rock. From what he said the SR80i has a bit more bass than the SR60i but neither are bassy in general. Most people seem to prefer the SR80i to the SR60i.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound and isolate poorly)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

I would consider open cans, although I have been leaning towards closed.

Probably will be using them with an older turntable+Pioneer VSX 1022 receiver. Otherwise be using my laptop which has a lame integrated HD realtek sound card.

Primarily vinyl lps. Otherwise mp3 and flac files on my pc.

Not really sure about sound signature. I'm a pretty big noob; mostly listen to various sub genres of rock. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Probably won't bother using them outside my home. Mostly want something for enjoying my vinyl collection.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 13
The Grado SR60 and SR80 are both great. Koss PortaPro has excellent reviews, but their impedance is a bit high and I have yet to hear one. The Senns and the Shures you mentioned are all excellent, but the 280s have a comparatively high impedance. I recommend going just a bit over budget and picking up the Audio Technica ATH-M50. In my opinion, the build quality and the sound quality merit the extra $30-$50.

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 13
Remember the Grado's and the Koss are Supra aural so sit on the ear. And the M50 are not good at all, plenty better for the money.

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 13
...the M50 are not good at all, plenty better for the money.

In general, when you say that there are many better models, you give some names. However, sound is subjective, and everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I liked the M50s, therefore I recommended them. Also I only recommended the Grados and the Koss because msw mentioned the SR60s in his original post.

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 13
In general, when you say that there are many better models, you give some names. However, sound is subjective, and everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I liked the M50s, therefore I recommended them. Also I only recommended the Grados and the Koss because msw mentioned the SR60s in his original post.

Yeah no doubt about the Grado and Koss, i was more pointing this out to the OP incase he didn't know they were on ear rather than the title which states over ear. As for the M50 issue you kind of answered your own complaint, everyone is intitled to their opinion, you said you liked them and i said i didn't and there's better for the money, i wasn't saying your wrong, this is just my view. Pretty simple.

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 13
Based on U.S. pricing (your mileage may vary--usually upward--in Canada):

Closed--

CAL!

Sony MDR 7506

Open--

Alessandro MS-1 or MS-1i

(Note: comfort can be an issue for some with the on ear Grado & Alessandro)

Stay away from the M50 unless you are OK with recessed mids.

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 13
Used the 7506 for years for work, they have no redeeming qualities, I would stay away.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #11 of 13
I like the SR60s better than the HD280s for rock.  Not sure if BestBuy in Canada is clearing out their UE6000's for $99 like they are in the states...but I like these a lot for the money.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 13
I would suggest the SR-60--great sound and easy to drive.  I had 2 different friends who had the HD280s.. both complained about the lack of bass.  I presume that the HD280s will require an amp in order to fully utilize it...

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks everyone for the suggestions thus far. Leaning towards the grados for my top open pick.

However, I'm still considering closed cans as well. Any opinions on the Sennheisers and Shure I listed? 

Seen the HD 280 Pros and the SRH440s for $99 (Canadian). The HD 439 seem to be around $137

Users who are viewing this thread

Back