First open headphones - $80-130
Nov 1, 2013 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

alterndog

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

So I am looking to get my first pair of open headphones, I just sold my m50 and currently use RE-262 which I love. I'm looking for very comfortable headphones that have a wider soundstage then the m50, aren't bass lite, but also keep the clarity and detail of the 262. I'm looking primarily for new headphones. Music wise I listen to everything, but mainly 60s and 70s rock, bluegrass, raggae, trance, current rock/pop. 

The options I am looking at right now are the

HD 518 - $80

HD 558 - 130

Are there any others out there in that price range? I'm looking for better sound quality than the M50 and try and get close to the 262. I would just prefer that wider soundstage and keep the bass of the 262 (or improve it). Thanks!

- Paul

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 5
I am sure people are going to recommend you the Grado SR80i, but for your situation, I do not think that would be the best option.  The clarity is good, they are not really bass-lite, but their soundstage is not really very good.  Also, they are not too comfortable stock.

Also, this should be posted in the recommendations thread.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 5
Open headphones will not hold the bass you are looking for. The bass response of the M50's are cannons compared to very popular and well-regarded headphones like the AD700, SR-80, but I think the HD 558 is close to what you are looking for.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 5
Hey,

Thanks for the help. I didn't see the recommendation forum field earlier (Last I posted I don't think I remember it being here, there used to be a thread for it) and I will move this question over there. 

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 5
I have owned HD598/558/518 non of them have bass like M50 which I have briefly listened, they are not bass light either. In your case I would go for Sony MDR MA900 especially for your music... and they have more bass

They were sold on ebay like 140$ if you wait you can find it for this price or go for used like new pair. 

cheers and happy listening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back