First Night with SR-007 MK2
Oct 28, 2008 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

M3NTAL

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, finally fired up the Omegas for the first time tonight...

Super quick non-professional review..

They sound like HD-650's on some steroids going around picking on all the kids. Sort of like the Denon D series mixed with the HD-650 with the quickness and detail of a professional perfectionist athlete.

Yep.. that's it
beerchug.gif

P.S.
That means they are pretty darn good.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 20
The Omegas, or my review?
Ouch.. low blow on both accounts!

They are defiantly not "boring"... in fact - they are very involving actually. Toe tapping as-well... Not sure what part of them bores you?

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 20
o2 w/ kgss had the best bass i've heard out of fones but the presentation was not very moving for me. i thought it was too laid back and lacked energy/character. 4040 system on the other hand had some liveliness but still more along the lines of the senn sound.

don't get me wrong they do some things great, like speed and actually portrays a 'headstage' that's somewhat believable. (i hate soundstage in fones, it's just not natural), just the flavor doesn't suit my taste, a bit too mild.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 20
Spend more time with them, and they will grow on you.
Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spend more time with them, and they will grow on you.
Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, but does it hurt when the roots grow in deeper?
tongue.gif

So, when I got mine 2-3 weeks ago I thought the mids were too forward and too far into my head (like roots), so I did the Spritzer spring mod and they sound better. And 250-300 hours of burn-in was helpful too. Now I am really enjoying them. Next up - trying the bass port blue-tak-plug mod to extend the bass and see if I like it. I should have done that while the pads were off because the pads are a royal pain to tuck the skirt of the pads back into their slot around the perimeter of the headphone.

PS: I have the maxed GES too.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 20
I'm going to listen to the GES through its "100 hours" break in and see how it goes.

But, so far they haven't knocked me off my feet for the price of admission, but at the same time.. they are better than the rest of my group.

I was expecting them to sound like my etymotics as far as how analytical they are, but they present everything much differently.. Very cool and I DO enjoy them... and their mid-bass hump HAHAHA
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 20
My GES started to improve at about 40 hours, but continued to change through about 250 hours. With 300 on it right now I am not sure it is any different than at 250 hours. BTW, jack recommended 250 to me.

You must do the ear-pad spring mod Spritzer can up with - it holds the pads more flush and tighter against the headphone, and reduces some of the mid-range "honk" as he calls it. I call it a mids "boost". I don't have a problem with the midbass hump either, so I didn't do the port mod yet.

The ones that sound like the Etymotics are the Lambda series, which are still fun - I still enjoy my vintage SR-Lambda and Lambda Signature. The GES also seems like it was made for my HE60 and ESP950.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 20
Congratulations, I am sure you will enjoy these.

I am still pretty new with mine and can still recall the first day. The phones took about 1/2 hour to sound at all good, right out of their shipping box. Then it was evident that I was hearing something remarkable, better definition and more precise stereo imaging than I had ever heard.

What the 007A does not have is a broad euphonic low/midbass hump which creates a rhythmic drive. For example my Sigma/404's have such a hump and sound somewhat more rhythmic on some material even though they lack extreme bass. So do a lot of small to mid size speakers. However the 007A is almost certainly more accurate.

What puzzles me are the reports of the earlier Omegas as being dark in sound, i.e. bass heavy. The 007A is not that at all although it seems to have a smallish bass peak, not quite as low in frequency as with the Lambda 404.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 20
i've always been dynamics only, including speakers. i tend to like signatures that give some sort of 'drive' and evoke head movement.
the o2 that i heard were on the darker side of things (i prefer a lot of spark and sizzle up top). the way older sr-3 on the other hand was a nice surprise.

rs1 are my favorite but they leak too much noise and i pretty much can only use closed fones now.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 20
I don't really get where the "dark" comments about either O2 model are coming from, too.

Well, that's a lie of sorts. If they're underdriven, they will sound dark. The Mk2 less so because of its colder and more forward midrange, but it will still sound dull and uninvolving. But off the SRM-717 and the SRD-7 Pro, these headphones are anything but dark. They have endless treble refinement, and if you're used to nasty treble peaks or prefer general treble emphasis then they will probably sound dark, but the Mk1 at least is pretty much the very definition of neutrality in a proper system (to my ears anyway). The Mk2 unfortunately is more colored.

If you want these headphones to do rock, you'll probably need a KGSS or Blue Hawaii. With the 717, the Mk1 doesn't flaunt its dynamic range, and only comes alive on music that has been recorded with a lot of dynamic range to begin with. Rock usually needs exaggerated macrodynamics since it rarely has more than 20db of dynamic range to begin with, and the O2 doesn't do that until it's given serious power. But, music with more dynamic range - like classical and jazz - will knock your socks off with its dynamic power.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 20
Yes, no "darkness" here... almost some brittle-ness in the highs which I am going to point my finger at the amplifier break-in for right now.

What is the longest you have left your GES on for?

l_b03d3fad99a1fc3569315fafd8f60a1d.jpg

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #15 of 20
catscratch, thanks for the explanation. I have wondered why music and especially bass sometimes sound very tight and sometimes a bit loose (with 007 mk1 and 717). You are certainly right in that the dynamic range of the recording is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back