First listening impressions/reviews of Q1 2009 Purity Audio Kicas and Caliente Group buy
Mar 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 131
loud enough? Jeesus what kind of headphones have you got K1000
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by oinkbanana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first first impressions are that it isn't loud enough.
i'll try different sources and see if that improves

got things set up and i'm 'burning in' ... kind of awkward that i'm using open back headphones for that.

With what phones - your Senns???

I'm a bit surprised since most of the prior reports with Senns, and other phones have not mentioned it was underpowered with them.

Is your source the standard 2 volt output from a CDP / DAC?

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PICS!!

X2!

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #20 of 131
Quote:

first first impressions are that it isn't loud enough.
i'll try different sources and see if that improves

got things set up and i'm 'burning in' ... kind of awkward that i'm using open back headphones for that.

Do you have your sources set up to line out or max on the headphone out?

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #21 of 131
There is no way that it isn't loud enough, as long as you are using dynamic headphones and your source is set up properly. Even with an iPod, it drove my 600 ohm Beyers to crazy-lou levels before reaching noon on the volume control.

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #23 of 131
headphones: HD650

-with ipod headphone out i'm still really wanting much much more volume (ipod set to max volume, headphone amp to the max as well obviously)...
-with motu 896HD line out, it's louder but i'm still not worried about my ears in the least
-I get similar results using the computers built in X-Fi soundcard

what am I doing wrong? :/
i'm not handicapped.. i know how to set volume on stuff
and i'm not deaf either.
I know I do really enjoy my music loud,

i'm gonna try it tomorrow with a Tascam CD-601 and a Bryston BP26 (not sure if the preamp is necessary in the chain).

and pics tomorrow, the batteries are currently charging. promise.

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #24 of 131
Quote:

...ipod set to max volume...

Well, if you are using the headphone out from your ipod, that is one thing you are doing wrong - you should be using the line output, not the headphone output.

But I am here to tell you that if you do use the line output of the iPod, and you then have to set your KICAS to max volume, either your KICAS is defective, or you are listening at VERY unsafe volume levels.

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #25 of 131
Yes, like Skylab said - you shouldn't use the headphone out from your iPod.
If you're using headphone out you're amping a signal already gone through an amp circuit. For optimal performance, go line out.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #26 of 131
that's why i listed other options that i tried as well.

don't I need a DAC if I use the ipod Line out?

edit:
... answer to my own question found at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/usi...ut-dac-411514/
(why did i always think the ipod line out was digital and i'd need a DAC?? hmm.)
I'll go get my hands on a line out cable.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #27 of 131
As you suggested, you should try the amp with a CD player. If it still isn't loud enough, you either have a defective unit, or you seriously need to start listening at lower levels if you want to protect your hearing from any further damage.

I have taught a college class (as a guest lecturer) a few times about audiology. I always have a few students come up and ask them to set a pair of headphones to a "comfortable" listening level. It is always the case that at least a few of them set the level at well over 100db average, which will damage your hearing in just a couple of hours per day of listening - less than 30 minutes if it is over 110db.

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #28 of 131
Well I'll be... I have an ipod nano, and had no idea that it's 'slit slot' was also a lineout -- no wonder it sounded like uber crap setup in my car, I was using the headphone out. Doh! I guess the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable included with the charger threw me off.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #29 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by CompressionalFlagellation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'll be... I have an ipod nano, and had no idea that it's 'slit slot' was also a lineout -- no wonder it sounded like uber crap setup in my car, I was using the headphone out. Doh! I guess the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable included with the charger threw me off.

Taking the feed from the headphone out is typical when it comes to commercial stuff because it is much easier to mass produce 1/8" to 1/8" ICs then iPod 30 pin connector to a stereo plug. There are many DIY'ers and MOTs
wink.gif
that make an iPod LOD (Line Out Dock). It picks up the line out audio channels from the 30 pin jack of iPods and iTouchs and you can have it terminated in a number of configurations (L/R RCAs or 1/8" are the typical plugs).

It is by far the better way to feed an amp from an iPod. Most of their built in headamps are not much to write home about.

Okay, back to the thread topic.

I am back home and will be unboxing mine later tonight and hooking it up to my iMod docking station and starting the burn-in process. Timely since I'm also in the process of burning in a new pair of headphones. I will take unboxing pics and post.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #30 of 131
Quote:

-with ipod headphone out i'm still really wanting much much more volume (ipod set to max volume, headphone amp to the max as well obviously)...
-with motu 896HD line out, it's louder but i'm still not worried about my ears in the least
-I get similar results using the computers built in X-Fi soundcard

i'm not handicapped.. i know how to set volume on stuff
and i'm not deaf either.
I know I do really enjoy my music loud,

i'm gonna try it tomorrow with a Tascam CD-601 and a Bryston BP26 (not sure if the preamp is necessary in the chain).

and pics tomorrow, the batteries are currently charging. promise.

I test each amp before I ship them out, so it shouldn't be defective in that way. How long of an IC b/w the jack and the amp inputs do you have/use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back