First iPod Touch Review
Sep 13, 2007 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

outlandos

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2179701,00.asp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Review
The audio performance of the touch is excellent, as long as you chuck those lame earbuds and get a real pair—try Shure's SE210 earphones if you want to actually hear the low end and would like the earphones to stay in place. One complaint I've always had about iPods is the lack of user-programmable EQ. Apple only allows you to change EQ settings in iTunes and then the settings, per song, will carry over onto the player. That's a solution for folks who really want to micro-manage, but most people would be happy with a standard adjustable EQ, like the Sony Walkmen, Samsung, and Sansa players all have (to name only a few). You might get lucky with some of the standard EQ presets, like Dance or Jazz, but I suggest just leaving the EQ off and finding the right pair of earphones.—next: Wireless iTunes.

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 41
28th September cant come quick enough for me to get my hands on this
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 41
That sounds good. I've been thinking of buying the classic. 80gb or 160 if i can afford it. Does it use the same good components as the ipod did?

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 41
The limited space deters me. I'll stick with the classic. 160 gigs for me. I'd rather have my music with me than sport some slick eye candy

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 41
This is the wrong sub forum for this. A mod should priobably move this to "portable audio" sub forum.

Regardless, wih a full 5/5 rating, the first time ever for an iPod. It seems that this will be my new ipod.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the wrong sub forum for this. A mod should priobably move this to "portable audio" sub forum.

Regardless, wih a full 5/5 rating, the first time ever for an iPod. It seems that this will be my new ipod.

Sorry, I hope a mod can move this thread to the right sub-forum!

And yes, September 28 can't come quick enough!
3000smile.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 41
i wonder why apple don't make this device a hard drive based... i think a 160gb ipod touch would be much better... i, for one, won't buy the touch just for music, but for video...

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 41
That review almost makes me want to put practicality aside and buy one... key word being almost. Either way, good to know that at least one magazine likes them. To think that the world would crave a $300-$400 flash player, somewhere Sony must be kicking themselves.

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides the touchscreen, the iTouch is not THAT impressive, although it is definitely a cry-for-upgrade for ipod fanboys.

x2.
After tried serveral ipod models, can't say any of them impressed me on the sound quality department. PCmag's review on sound quality related equipment isn't so reliable either.

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 41
I was so hyped about getting a touch when they first got announced. Then I thought of it practically. Where would I be that had wi-fi, where I needed to get online, and didn't have a computer? And would I even have my iPod with me at such a moment? It has not happened before.

10x the memory for $50 less with the Classic is nice.

When using it in the car, or anywhere really, the tactile feel of the Classic is good to have so I don't have to look at the iPod to go to the next song, turn up the volume, etc.

I think once the novelty of the touch wore off, I would be longing for some of the characteristics of my old 5.5G. So Classic it is for me!!

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #13 of 41
I just picked up a touch at the Apple Store last night. I must say, this thing is a lot cooler than I thought it would be. I'm still judging the SQ, but as for the rest of the features, it's really cool. The Wi-Fi works great, quick downloads. The navagation is really easy and straightforward.

I'll be back to say more.

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ducatisteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was so hyped about getting a touch when they first got announced. Then I thought of it practically. Where would I be that had wi-fi, where I needed to get online, and didn't have a computer? And would I even have my iPod with me at such a moment? It has not happened before.

Exactly. Why on earth, outside of specific, case-by-case scenarios, would a person need a Wi-Fi-capable DAP? Does the average person really spend that much time in a building that both HAS Wi-Fi, and does NOT have a computer? And if you are, wouldn't you already have a laptop for that purpose, and wouldn't said laptop serve your needs much better?

I'm a self-proclaimed DAP addict, and I love extra features, but this is really just being silly. The same goes for buying music on the go: who, in all honesty, cares? This isn't a subscription-based service that we're talking about here; you're being charged full price for everything you buy. Also, do you really find new music (and, subsequently, need to purchase said music) often while you're on a bus or train? Heck, the iTouch doesn't even have a radio; where, exactly, are you getting these music recommendations?
blink.gif

It really makes me wonder what's going on in Jobs' head.

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #15 of 41
do you guys no they have not improved sound quality at all in the ipod classic and in fact taken more features away than added thats why they are cheap,its all well and good having the nice interface but technology has been removed from the headphone jack so it cannot be used as a video out and the cover flow is slow and unresponsive,im very dissapointed with the classic overall.

the touch is another step up but its just a bad idea,it will be almost impossible to use it when its in a pocket and its not very practical with what will almost be a finger print magnet screen, and with a calibrated touch screen thats only yet another thing to go wrong.

i think apple should have left out the touch feature and instead gave us the widescreen with a beautiful 16m colour screen and ability to play games and/or emulators and improve the audio codecs and work on the quality of connections and wifi ability, instead it seems to me a waste of time,its a relatively poor screen specs wise and the touch screen is a much bigger inconvenience than a help, overall im very sceptical and might ditch apple altogether,archos and creative both offer what apple should have nailed this time but instead gave us a bad gimmick thats no help making what was a great user friendly device into a pain in the back side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back