First impressions PA2V2
Mar 15, 2006 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Blackmore

Headphoneus Supremus
Dear all,

Just feeling to post another review about Gary's PA2V2 little amplifier so I do. The reason of this is let some of the people, like me probably, to know about profits of this unit. I am not an audiophile and cant use technical words / terms that could explain more I guess, but…

Build and portability:

This baby is great looking and very good build. I mean I was expecting some small unit but when I actually got my hands on it, WHAT A SURPRISE it was. Small, compact and you can call this one REALLY PORTABLE. Everything nice placed and nothing fancy about it. My small advice, USE RECHARGEABLE with it.
I would like to give this one an 8/10.

Using/caring with MP3 device:

Before use this with your source outside, you need to realized that portable or not it can't be used from you back pocket without irritating you a bit. What I actually want to say is that some portables a big enough itself so this one as extra can be, and I mean CAN BE, some trouble to caring with you. But if you don't mind then I didn't say a thing. Don't see myself walking with it much, but that's me. You will probably ask, why I have purchase in the first place. Well, to tell you the true I was really curios about it and I did. My iAudio5 have enough power to drive my AKG K26P, but not that much with higher imp phones. The second issue was to see or I can improve the battery life from my player using the amp. I think its will be working, because my volume level goes now not further than 18-20, when before always 24-26. So it may help a bit, I hope. Will give 7/10.

Sound and power:

That's depends how good your player is. Some players have a very good EQ settings and that helps a lot. But for those who don't, THIS ONE IS FOR YOU. I have use this with and without the EQ.
Using without EQ was for me a little surprising. And this means that the sound was acceptable. More than that, for some users may be a BEST what they ever heard. Bass is there, actually everything is there but not that POWERFUL enough to be very happy about it. What I was missing is the JUICE I guess.

Using with the EQ, WOW here it comes, yeah. Total different and much, much POWERFUL and all JUICE is there where it must be. I was founding the better BASS control and stronger/sharper HIGHS. And the amp was very flex with changing of EQ's, very nice! Will give 8/10.

I have use this amp with AKG K26P, Sennhieser PX100 and Sennheiser HD485. And the most improvement came with PX100 and HD485.

To make this complete I would like to say that Gary have achieved that level to make such an nice little amp without to loosing any of those issues. I think its very interesting to experiment with it and one thing for sure, you can't beat the PRICE/QUALITY on this one. HAPPY LISTENING.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 12
^Thanks for the review

... I'm getting my PA2-V2 tomorrow. I will be testing it out on my X5L and also iHP-140 (rockboxed)...It was great read more impressions...I'll be trying it with 250ohm beyer DT770s (my only really power hungry phones).

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg
I ordered mine last night as well - can't wait to test it out...

I wonder how bulky it looks when carrying it around outside..?

You should it be worry about it, because its the smallest thing I have ever seen. So my impressions are very personal.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

hey blackmore - was it a night and day difference or did you have to switch amp/no amp back n' forth for a while to hear the diff?

To tell you the true is NOT, yet... And yes I did try this switching. Once again you basic settings are very important, PLAYER, PHONES, EQ settings, SOURCE. What I have is iAudio5 that have very good EQ settings as basis. Second issue are the phones. AKG K26 P, Senn.PX100 and HD485 are BASS powerful ones. So for me its like little things in this prospect. Only PX100 was the most improvement, because they are a bit power hungry. And HD485 get more control over the BASS mostly.
But I haven't burned it my amp. enough, that can make a difference to. I think I may need more time to enjoy it, will see. Only by trying you can get some impressions, its the only way.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

im surprised that the px100 has more noticeable diff than hd485

isn't the general rule "the better the headphones the more improvement you'll get from amp" ?

Not necessary. The PX100 maybe a portable one but I have found them more difficult to drive than HD485. Don't know what it is (well once again they need more power), but same thing I had with Sennheiser PMX200, which were even worth.
Another thing is that PA2V2 is made pure for portable phones, well mostly I guess, and not every phone can make a good mach with it. However I didn't find anything strange to drive those 3 different kind. And because I don't use PX100 much, almost not, that's the reason I think. And HD485 is 32 Ohm to, just for the record.
eggosmile.gif

May 8, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 12
I just ordered one, and Gary responded confirming the order in <b>two minutes</b>. Talk about great customer service. I can't wait to receive it though, as I've read nothing but good comments about it.

May 8, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

im surprised that the px100 has more noticeable diff than hd485

isn't the general rule "the better the headphones the more improvement you'll get from amp" ?

No. So far I got the most improvements from the worst headphones I got. I've got a cheap pair of JVC. I think the model is called CRAP.
wink.gif

Anyway, they sound tinny and only have midrange. Plug them into an amp and it ads tinny treble and tinny bass. I really got 66% improvement.
biggrin.gif

I'm surprised by the improvement of the PX100. When I plug my pair into an amp it only sounds worse. Maybe you (Blackmore) have the newer model.

May 8, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

I ordered mine last night as well - can't wait to test it out...

I wonder how bulky it looks when carrying it around outside..?

It's just like carrying two Zen Micros:

Is that a pa2v2 in your pocket or is your Zen Micro just happy to see me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back