First impressions of w100
Jul 19, 2002 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

dohminator

500+ Head-Fier
Oh, wow.

Jul 19, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 23
Congratulations dohminator!

Good luck with your new W100's. I loved them at first listen, almost as much as Tomcat!
wink.gif
Please post more impressions after you've done some extended listening.

Thanks.

Jul 19, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 23
Well, so far I agree with tomcat.

These are definitely better than my a55's. the a55's have a horribly colored bass. These are very smooth and detailed. Voices are outstanding.

Jul 19, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 23
No import duty. I really do enjoy the sound of these, though I do see how some people could not like it. They really have a unique sound that some people will find enjoyable, and others will dislike.

Oh, and the earpads look and feel like real leather to me.

Jul 19, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by dohminator
I really do enjoy the sound of these, though I do see how some people could not like it. They really have a unique sound that some people will find enjoyable, and others will dislike.

Oh, and the earpads look and feel like real leather to me.

I think the main reason why I didn't like them was not because of their unique sound but becuase they were closed rather than open, which I seem to prefer.

The earpads are nice but can make your ears sweaty for extended periods of listening. I had considered upgrading the pads to the genuine leather pads used on the W2002 and suggest that you think about them if you experience the same problem.

Once again, I'm glad that the W100s have found a good new home.

Jul 19, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 23
I just can't wait till I can afford a worthy source and amp for them. I haven't really listened to open cans, but I really like the closed designs. These are so smooth.

I can't reiterate enough how awesome vocals sound. I think transparent is the right word.

Jul 19, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 23
If you like vocals I suggest you to try out a pair of Stax earspeakers (either electret or electrostatic), which I preferred over the W100s in terms or transparency, detail and speed... although you might find them lacking in terms of bass, if that matters to you.

Jul 19, 2002 at 12:33 PM Post #11 of 23
I agree with ze-ant. I am on vacation in Tokyo right now, and I went to a hi-fi shop and did a little comparision between Audiotechnicas and staxes. Perhaps it is not fair, but still. After listening to the SRS-4040 system, the W2002's connected the HA-2002 amp sounded awful to me. I must like a laid back sound better. The AT's sounded really crowded and bright to me. I was really disappointed. I even liked the W100s better. Perhaps it was a dud or something, but I found the Stax system trounced anything AT had to offer, as did the HD580s and K501s...
Let me just add a HUGE IMHO to the end of this....I think this is a really subjective statement, and I have not given up hope on the AT's. Perhaps next time I listen I will like them better....

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

the W2002's connected the HA-2002 amp sounded awful to me.

This statement is not surprizing at all. The W2002's are VERY revealing of everything, recording, source, interconnect, amp... everything. Even though it's expensive I have not heard one good comment yet on the HA-2002, with the exception that it cosmetically matches the W2002. With a good recording and an amp that the W2002 likes (EMP, Grace 901) the experience can be incredible. There are many recordings, even new ones with big budgets where the vocals may be slightly sibilant and unless this can be tamed before it gets to the W2002's you're better off with the W100. The W100 is much more forgiving of everything down the chain.

I just picked up what I consider a near perfect recording of male voice and guitar in DVD-V (DAD) format (Chris Whitley - Dirt Floor). This recording sounds excellent on all my phones but with the W2002 & 901 it literally sounds like Chris is playing and singing right in front of you! With the EMP ditto + tube warmth. But if you take a brand new recording, Norah Jones - Come away with me - you get that close miked sibilance that is so common, and in this case I prefer the W100.

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 23
Let me also add that the W2002 does sound much better after burn-in, so that might also account for some negative impressions. You know, I really need to get a W100 for office listening.

Jul 20, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 23
do you know where else can I get audio technica headphone(specifically in singapore?)
the Audio-Technica ATH-A100Ti Limited Edition Art Headphone tempt me man!! the stylish metallic blue is just so gorgeous!!!

do you have any review of it? how is it when compared to beyerdynamic dt250-80(my current headphone) ??
would someone pls review it

and one more thing.. is audio technica from japan?
thanks

Jul 20, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #15 of 23
If you search through some of the past posts, there is contact info for the regional vp for singapore, and he can sell you the headphones.

Or you can probably go through www.audiocubes.com

And yes, AT is based in Japan, and they only sell the good headphones in japan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back