First impressions of my new Sennheiser HD429s
Feb 23, 2013 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BruinAnteater

100+ Head-Fier
So I got these cans as workout cans: basically, relatively inexpensive headphones, with descent sound. I have Sennheiser HD650s for listening at home on my better equipement, and until recently used Sennheiser PX360s as my everyday portable workhorse, a role  that is going to be inherited by my recently aquired and burned in Sennheiser Momentums.

Obviously the HD650s could never work out (pun intended) in the gym. While the PX360s and Momentums would be fine in the gym as far as weight/comfort/portability, I consider them both to be too nice and too expensive to be seated on, pulled on, knocked around, etc. So the move was made towards the HD429s for about $50.

My initial impression: they are awesome! I haven't bothered to burn them in yet and started playing them with my J3 right off the bat. First of all, I'm impressed that these 32ohm cans are being driven to descent levels by the J3 (which cannot drive my PX360 - also 32 ohms at all, and drives my Momentums -18 ohms to just OK levels). So big points there. Sennheiser advertises these as having "powerful bass response without sounding bloated." At this price point, I was afraid they'd either have powerful bass response and sound bloated, or they'd have thin bass. I'm glad to report that neither is the case: the bass response is nice and warm (but in no way 'powerful,' but also in no way 'thin') and does not seem to bleed into the mids.

As far as clarity and detail goes, well after having spoiled my ears with HD650s, Momentums and even the PX360s, these definitely sound a step or two down from PX360s, about three steps down from Momentums and about five steps down from the HD650s, but then again, these are $50 headphones, not $150, $350, or $350-$500 cans. So relatively speaking, these sound just fine for the $50 price tag. I am real curious to see what they sound like after some nice long burn in.

As far as workout cans go, these are out of the box comfortable! Although I don't recall the PX360s ever being uncomfortable, the HD650s were a tad bit hard for the first week, they eventually broke in to become extremely comfortable, and if the Momentums have any glaring weakness is how hard they feel out of the box. I will be wearing them LOTS in the next few weeks, so we will see if they break in nicely, but the HD429 are soft and comfortable right away! They are also SUPER LIGHT, the lightest of all my headphones. Maybe this is because the materials used are a little cheaper, but this works in the favor of this headphone for the purposes I am going to be using for.

Overall, these HD429s have made a tremendous first impression! I will update this thread after I burn em for a bit. But so far, I am loving the nice sound signature. Definitely a great great headphone for the price! 
atsmile.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 8
Today I used these guys for a good 3 hour session. Wow!!! I am way impressed. These are some seriously great headphones. No they arent as good as my PX360s, Momentums or HD650s, but for $50 headphone, these things kick sooooo much ass. The sound is very accurate, the bass does not bleed too much and the highs are well under control. Sure the sound a little veiled and lack the detail of my my more expensive cans, but at $50, these things are absolutely killer!

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 8
If I could only justify another set of “throw-around cans.” The wife has already put me on notice… I am also a Sennheiser fan, looking into the 400’s… Glad to hear that they are what I was expecting. Good bang for the buck! Was slightly more interested in the HD 419’s for the velour-styled ear pads… Thanks for the review! 

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
If I could only justify another set of “throw-around cans.” The wife has already put me on notice… I am also a Sennheiser fan, looking into the 400’s… Glad to hear that they are what I was expecting. Good bang for the buck! Was slightly more interested in the HD 419’s for the velour-styled ear pads… Thanks for the review! 

The pads on the 400 series can all be swapped.  A set of velours will set ya back $14 shipped from Sennheiser

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks Magicman, I figured as much. Is the padding on the headband replaceable? It would irk me if the padding on the headband did not match the material of the padding on the ear-cups. I know it’s not really a big deal, but it would be for me… With that said, I also kind of like the look of the 419’s a little more than the 429’s. Ah damn, I should just get them both! LOL  

Normally I use my hd280’s in my classroom, and they commute with me from home to work everyday but I always have a pair of 202’s in my desk drawer. These 419’s or 429’s will be replacing the 202’s in the classroom. My 202’s still sound great but the ear pads are deteriorating and I was looking into getting some replacement ear-pads. They are half the price of a new 202…this lead me into just wanting something new. I just want a knock-around pair of phones for the classroom. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Thanks Magicman, I figured as much. Is the padding on the headband replaceable? It would irk me if the padding on the headband did not match the material of the padding on the ear-cups. I know it’s not really a big deal, but it would be for me… With that said, I also kind of like the look of the 419’s a little more than the 429’s. Ah damn, I should just get them both! LOL  

Normally I use my hd280’s in my classroom, and they commute with me from home to work everyday but I always have a pair of 202’s in my desk drawer. These 419’s or 429’s will be replacing the 202’s in the classroom. My 202’s still sound great but the ear pads are deteriorating and I was looking into getting some replacement ear-pads. They are half the price of a new 202…this lead me into just wanting something new. I just want a knock-around pair of phones for the classroom. 

You know I never thought about replacing the head band pad. I guess it would be possible? All the 400s are about the same size and build?
I think you'll be better off just getting the 419's.  You're coming from the 202's and the 419 have the same kinda sound sig. The 428/9 are a little less warm but you might want a little more kick in the lower end. You can do the Bass mod on the 428/9 but I think it might not be worth it. As the 419 is great just how it already comes...

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the info Magic. Perhaps you can answer this question. I was looking them up on Amazon and for $34 they are just too good to pass up IMO, it's just 10 bucks more than the 202's. My question is, do they leak a lot of sound out? Several reviewers on Amazon said that they are good at isolating you from the outside world, but others close to you can hear what you are listening to. As I will be using them occasionally in a studio I don’t want them to bleed into a live mic. Thanks again for your help. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the info Magic. Perhaps you can answer this question. I was looking them up on Amazon and for $34 they are just too good to pass up IMO, it's just 10 bucks more than the 202's. My question is, do they leak a lot of sound out? Several reviewers on Amazon said that they are good at isolating you from the outside world, but others close to you can hear what you are listening to. As I will be using them occasionally in a studio I don’t want them to bleed into a live mic. Thanks again for your help. 

You know, I really couldn't tell you on studio use???  I listen REALLY loud but my wife sitting next to me can hear what I'm playing. I think at Normal levels you should be ok?  You can always do a pad swap out for Fake leathers.  Any 400 series will fit and they will only run you $10 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back