FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #1,231 of 1,841
Larry, your 12 year old son bought a Grado HF2?! All I could afford was candy in the shape of Smurfs. And if I was lucky a GI Joe figurine.
smily_headphones1.gif
What kind of equipment does your son have other than the amp (which is amazing btw) and the Grado?

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #1,232 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcfranco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautiful amplifier!!!
Wich amp is this ?

It's the SSMH. Great little and nice looking amp.
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows 7 users, you guys using WASAPI, Asio or KS?

KS is working perfectly with foobar on W7 here.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #1,233 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows 7 users, you guys using WASAPI, Asio or KS?

Gonna pull the trigger on the uDac once they're back in stock... can't wait to finally have a decent dac / amp for my headphones...
L3000.gif

EDIT: Looks like these puppies are back in stock! Wahoo! I just pulled the trigger. Oh, but then there is the horrible wait... (postage to Australia)

Windows 7 64-bit using Foobar and WASAPI- no problems!

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #1,234 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negakinu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, your 12 year old son bought a Grado HF2?! All I could afford was candy in the shape of Smurfs. And if I was lucky a GI Joe figurine.
smily_headphones1.gif
What kind of equipment does your son have other than the amp (which is amazing btw) and the Grado?

When I was 12 my parents would give me a quarter for making my bed. At that rate I think it would take me over a decade to afford the HF2
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #1,235 of 1,841
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was 12 my parents would give me a quarter for making my bed. At that rate I think it would take me over a decade to afford the HF2
tongue_smile.gif

He's been saving birthday money for several years, and he also gets some social security money from my disability which pays for his clothes, camp, sports, etc. He didn't have to touch his SSI money for his SR-Lambda with SRD-X which came out of the birthday money almost 2 years ago. Last summer I let him use some SSI savings for the HF-2 (and he gave me my MS-1 back). His sisters blow all their money on clothes, makeup and sports gear (swim, lacrosse, field hockey) but he is able to save his.

The Millett SSH was an Xmas gift in 2008 (under $100). He got UF-30 phones for last Xmas with my old iBasso T4 and Westone 1 for his birthday 2 weeks later. He uses an old 30gb iPod video and 8gb 3G Nano. I loaned him my EF2 amp with DAC because he likes tubes even though the uDAC sounds more detailed. Tube hybrids are great with Grados, hence the Millett and EF2. Prior to borrowing my EF2, he was using the uDAC with the Millett. But, my wife vetoed him doing homework at the kitchen island with Macbook > uDAC > Millett with all those power and IC cables criss-crossing.

He's saving from now on for things like braces, or lacrosse gear and boy scout trips and camp, etc... I wont let him blow any more money on gear, and he isn't asking (although I know he wants an iPod touch he doesn't bug me about it).

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #1,236 of 1,841
Just ordered.

The uDac will be my first ever dedicated DAC component. Up until now I have been using either my Sony DVD player or an iPod (line-out) as my source. Due to your review Larry - I believe my Stax Lamda will have good synergy with the uDac. Also, my vintage Luxman is supposedly quite tubey sounding for a SS (supposedly not in a bad way or with loss of detail, and I have never A/B with anything else so I cant say), so hopefully all together I will have a nicely put together budget rig. Funny how before I joined Head-Fi I did not believe a $400-500 headphone rig was "budget".

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #1,237 of 1,841
Thanks for the reply Larry, your kid sounds amazing! You should get him a Head-Fi account. He could do some reviews!
smily_headphones1.gif
Would love to read a twelve-year old's opinion on audio characteristics. The thread of the year if you ask me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #1,239 of 1,841
Quote:

Thanks for the reply Larry, your kid sounds amazing! You should get him a Head-Fi account. He could do some reviews!
smily_headphones1.gif
Would love to read a twelve-year old's opinion on audio characteristics. The thread of the year if you ask me!
smily_headphones1.gif

He does have an account - he is HeadFanatic (sounds like HeadphoneAddict), which we thought was better than SonOfAddict. He isn't very active though, too busy with Gameboy DS and PS3.
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #1,240 of 1,841
Just got my uDAC from Fulcrum Audio Canada!
P1010268s.jpg

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #1,241 of 1,841
I've had this for about three weeks now. So far, I love it. I tried out a portable headphone amp (iBasso D2 Boa) before with my Audio Technica A900's, but didn't feel it did much for performance. This little Nuforce uDac is awesome though! The fidelity from the uDac compared 3 different laptop soundcard is so much nicer! It's so clean, so rich, so detailed, and has a nice spacious soundstage. I've tried this with my A900's and Sennheiser HD555. Music sounds so pure and transparent with the uDac. I like the spaciousness and imagining with games (well, I only tried it out with UT3 and Counter Strike). I am probably gonna watch a movie with it tonight just to try it out. I really like it though. Great stuff!

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #1,245 of 1,841
Well, if you could get Rockbox to output PCM data over USB. Which is to say, not very likely.
biggrin.gif

Is there any other source that sells overseas (Europe) than Amazon? Their shipping is pretty high in my book...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back