FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 6, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #602 of 877
no hiss or hum with mine either. only recording noise. and if Grados don't reveal that, I don't know what will. I'll try listening to some silent waves (only zeros) to double check but I'm pretty sure that's only recording noise as it changes pitch with different albums/tracks.

also, this may sound stupid (I haven't used USB audio so far) but is it necessary to turn off the unit using the knob before unplugging? if the knob turns it off at all... the manual doesn't say anything about that, but who knows... I read here about units that stopped functioning and my prior experience with USB somewhat confirms that it's a rather "delicate" interface (USB interface on some devices we use at work constantly failing). I'd hate to have to send the part for service as I live in Europe and postage times are killing.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #603 of 877
Hi,

Received mine yesterday and working fine, no strange noises at all. Today configured to 96Khz/24bits on my iMac (reading this thread is great for learning), and wow what a difference!! I use it to feed a Little Dot MkII  and seems to be a nice combo.

I hope to enjoy it for a long time.

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #604 of 877
I just received the uDAC2 upgrade board yesterday.  The good news is it sounds great--my primary headphones are Shure e5s and I'm very happy with the combination.  The bad news is the top and bottom pcb boards are glued together askew and it doesn't even come close to fitting in the original uDAC case.

I'm currently working for a rapidly growing small start up and we're struggling with QC in the face of greater than expected growth, so I am understanding of this situation.  For $65, it's the best bang-for-the-buck audio piece I've encountered by far.

I just have it sitting naked on my desk and think I'll continue to do that for a few days to see if any of the other issues reported in this thread pop up.  Since I was going to have to find a case for the original board, I don't think I'm going to bother NuForce for an exchange, and I'll just pop v2 into a case.  However, since I want to use this daily instead of the original, my case needs are now more urgent.  Does anyone have any ideas for a case for this thing?

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #605 of 877

Quote:
Hi,

Received mine yesterday and working fine, no strange noises at all. Today configured to 96Khz/24bits on my iMac (reading this thread is great for learning), and wow what a difference!! I use it to feed a Little Dot MkII  and seems to be a nice combo.

Does it make a difference to put it on 96Khz/24bits when your audio files are only 44Khz/16bits?

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #607 of 877

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Does it make a difference to put it on 96Khz/24bits when your audio files are only 44Khz/16bits?

No, then it doesnt matter.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #609 of 877

Quote:
like I said I generated some 0 samples to see if it has hiss. I couldn't tell any noise apart the one generated by the amplifier, to me it sounded deed silent.

It's interesting that you would call it dead silent when you also say you can hear some noise generated by the amplifier....unless you don't mean the headphone amp but some other external amp.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #610 of 877
Hey there - new member. Picked up a uDAC 2 recently and I love it. However I have one question that I couldn't find the answer to anywhere. My wife and I share the same studio space, and sometimes I like to listen to headphones while I work. However, she often wants me to play the music through the speakers so she can listen too. I'd like to listen through the headphones, and play music through the speakers at the same time. Is it possible to configure the uDAC to do this? The speakers are hooked up through the RCA out on the back of the uDAC, and whenever I plug in the headphones on the front, the speakers go silent. Is it one or the other? Or can I play both?

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #611 of 877

Quote:
It's interesting that you would call it dead silent when you also say you can hear some noise generated by the amplifier....unless you don't mean the headphone amp but some other external amp.

I tested that using my speakers. I couldn't tell any difference with or without the uDAC connected. the amp hiss is so low that I can only hear it with the amp volume all the way up and my ear close to the tweeter. mind that it's a 180W/channel amp, all the volume up should reveal any amount of noise generated by the source. considering that I can say that the uDAC noise is undetectable for me. of course, the uDAC pot was all the way up too during the test.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #612 of 877
and I would add that recording hiss on many albums far exceeds the noise of my amp and certainly the noise of the headphone out on the uDAC (if there is any noise at all there too).

and having the SR80s at hand, I repeated the test (0 samples) with the hadphones 3 minutes ago. if you are familiar with the Grados you know that the emphasized highs and upper mids are very revealing of any hiss. with the pot all the way up I couldn't tell if the Grados were plugged in or not. should clear the issue :)

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #613 of 877

Quote:
Hey there - new member. Picked up a uDAC 2 recently and I love it. However I have one question that I couldn't find the answer to anywhere. My wife and I share the same studio space, and sometimes I like to listen to headphones while I work. However, she often wants me to play the music through the speakers so she can listen too. I'd like to listen through the headphones, and play music through the speakers at the same time. Is it possible to configure the uDAC to do this? The speakers are hooked up through the RCA out on the back of the uDAC, and whenever I plug in the headphones on the front, the speakers go silent. Is it one or the other? Or can I play both?

If you had a receiver with digital coaxial in, you could use the digital out jack on the udac2 to feed it at the same time you listen with headphones.  I believe it stays on even with headphones connected, which is a change from the uDac 1.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #614 of 877

Quote:
Quote:

I tested that using my speakers. I couldn't tell any difference with or without the uDAC connected. the amp hiss is so low that I can only hear it with the amp volume all the way up and my ear close to the tweeter. mind that it's a 180W/channel amp, all the volume up should reveal any amount of noise generated by the source. considering that I can say that the uDAC noise is undetectable for me. of course, the uDAC pot was all the way up too during the test.

Ah, you meant hiss of the speaker amp.  Ok, good to hear.  I detected no hiss from the RCA jacks either. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #615 of 877

Quote:
Quote:

If you had a receiver with digital coaxial in, you could use the digital out jack on the udac2 to feed it at the same time you listen with headphones.  I believe it stays on even with headphones connected, which is a change from the uDac 1.

I don't have a receiver. My external speakers are plugged into the RCA outs on the back of the uDAC via some male RCA to female 1/8" connections. Is there a way to hook up the 1/8" speaker plug to the digital out jack? Do the RCA out lines automatically turn off the headphone jack when they are in use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back