FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Nov 8, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #466 of 877
I am contemplating making an order via nuforce or amazon for the uDac-2 and the impulse USB cable... Can anyone advise me if it's safe to do so at the moment as I've noticed that some affected units may require the board to be replaced? =) There are no authorised nuforce dealers around my area... So I am getting a forwarding shipping company to help me ship the unit. *sigh*

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #467 of 877
Quote:
I am contemplating making an order via nuforce or amazon for the uDac-2 and the impulse USB cable... Can anyone advise me if it's safe to do so at the moment as I've noticed that some affected units may require the board to be replaced? =) There are no authorised nuforce dealers around my area... So I am getting a forwarding shipping company to help me ship the unit. *sigh*

NuForce replaced my unit, and it seems to be quiet, but I have not tested it extensively.  They have been very good about working with customers who had problem units, and that number was supposed to be quite small.  Even if you did need to replace the board, it requires no special equipment other than a screwdriver to open the case.  The uDAC-2 is a great unit, especially at its price.  If it meets your needs, I would certainly give it full consideration.

--Ken

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #468 of 877
Hmmm... Actually my only concern is that if I do get a defective unit, how do I request a replacement board for it. *chuckles*.. Since there are no local distributors... I couldn't go through anyone, unless it is possible to approach nuforce themselves?

Had been eyeing on this DAC since the first uDac, then the uDac-2 came out with reported improvements. Am happy, of course.
biggrin.gif
Figured that I should make my purchase soon and not delay it any longer. =D

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #469 of 877
Quote:
Hmmm... Actually my only concern is that if I do get a defective unit, how do I request a replacement board for it. *chuckles*.. Since there are no local distributors... I couldn't go through anyone, unless it is possible to approach nuforce themselves?

I cannot see why NuForce could not send the replacement board directly to you?  I would send them an e-mail, or PM Jason and see what he says.  Other than a day or two delay in picking up my old unit at their local post office (as it required a signature), they have been very prompt in their customer service.  I would imagine that this would be handled no different than any other warranty issue.  Remember, even if your unit had this problem, it would still work, and it is only audible in certain conditions, primarily low-impedance headphones.

--Ken

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #470 of 877
Quote:

Had been eyeing on this DAC since the first uDac, then the uDac-2 came out with reported improvements. Am happy, of course.
biggrin.gif
Figured that I should make my purchase soon and not delay it any longer. =D

Also:  Welcome to Head-Fi - Sorry to hear about your wallet!  Now change your signature!
wink_face.gif

--Ken

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #471 of 877

I am sorry to bother you all, I ahave a newbie question. Probably ther is an answer somwhere here but going trough 32 pages of this post seems a bit long for me.

I am planning to buy nuforce udac-2 this week and have a two questions. 

My amp is 4 m from my computer,(NAD 315BEE with B&W 686 speakers)  and i would like to know, what is the best way to connect them. Should I use longer USB cable (5m), will udac work with that cable or should i use supplied usb and 4 or 5 meters long quality RCA connectors.

And another one, what is the best position for volume control of udac when using it as udac connected to amp. 

Thanks in advance ,and sorry again if I am asking already answered questions.

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #472 of 877
Quote:

I am sorry to bother you all, I ahave a newbie question. Probably ther is an answer somwhere here but going trough 32 pages of this post seems a bit long for me.

My amp is 4 m from my computer,(NAD 315BEE with B&W 686 speakers)  and i would like to know, what is the best way to connect them. Should I use longer USB cable (5m), will udac work with that cable or should i use supplied usb and 4 or 5 meters long quality RCA connectors.

And another one, what is the best position for volume control of udac when using it as udac connected to amp. 

I would personally use the stock USB cable, and make up the difference with your RCA IC's.  Regarding the volume on the uDAC-2, you could try it at maximum volume, or you could back it off just a bit from there.

Good luck,

--Ken

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #474 of 877

Quote:

I'd use the longest USB cable to get your uDac as close to the receiving end, then use a shorter analog cable.  I'd want to minimize effects of analog cables, where the digital cable will likely have less effect on the sound.

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #475 of 877
Quote:
I'd use the longest USB cable to get your uDac as close to the receiving end, then use a shorter analog cable.  I'd want to minimize effects of analog cables, where the digital cable will likely have less effect on the sound.

I could very well be wrong, but I thought that there was a limit to the effective length of USB cables, perhaps something in the range of 2 meters.  Am I remembering incorrectly?

--Ken

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #476 of 877
It's 5 meter for passive USB cable and I have seen 10m active USB extension cable. I would recommend getting an active USB extension cable so you'll have better signal for your UDAC.

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #479 of 877
I'm pretty sure I will be ordering this product very soon. I plan on using it as a DAC only to feed into a tube amp. Anyone here using it the same way as me?

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #480 of 877
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I will be ordering this product very soon. I plan on using it as a DAC only to feed into a tube amp. Anyone here using it the same way as me?

I purchased it with the same intention.  But, I have primarily been using it with my main PC as a headphone amp.  Prior to my replacement unit, my original unit sounded quite good as a source for my tube pre-amp.  And, it also sounded good feeding my solid sate amp directly.  But, I was only able to listen a bit, as my life has been really chaotic this last month and a half.  For the money, I think its a great deal, especially since there are few affordable DACs that have RCA outs.

--Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back