FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Oct 5, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #316 of 877
I did hear the noise on three different machines, 1 xp, 1 vista and 1 win 7. I will try those options and will post my results

Quote:
I am just wondering for those who heard the strange noise - did you turn off all the power-management features under Windows, for example, in Windows 7, the O/S could generate noise if you don't turn-on Exclusive Audio and turn off 'let Windows manage volume', etc.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #318 of 877
Quote:
am very curious, did NuForce respond to this situation? should i hold off my purchase?

If you dig back into the thread, you will find a posting or two from them.  After the intermittent behavior I had while experimenting today, I cannot honestly say where the problem lies.  I am now beginning to suspect my USB port or cable as a possible weak link, as the noise became intermittent when I introduced a USB hub.  I am not certain if I would hold off, as it sounded great when feeding my main rig via the RCA line out.  I think that it depends on what equipment you are going to use with it.  And, NuForce does offer a 30-day return if you are not happy.  Historically, I have found very few precision electrical products that are 100% free of any quirks or issues, and the uDAC-2 is no exception.  However, its performance to price ratio is quite high, and at present, that makes it a keeper in my book.

--Ken

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #319 of 877

Quote:
Quote:

I am not certain if I would hold off, as it sounded great when feeding my main rig via the RCA line out.  I think that it depends on what equipment you are going to use with it.  And, NuForce does offer a 30-day return if you are not happy.  Historically, I have found very few precision electrical products that are 100% free of any quirks or issues, and the uDAC-2 is no exception.  However, its performance to price ratio is quite high, and at present, that makes it a keeper in my book.

--Ken

I pretty much second that

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #321 of 877
Oct 6, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #322 of 877
My story:
I bought a udac2 in a store and brought it home. Tested it quickly with my Sennheiser HD650 and was pleased that it worked. I brought the udac2 to work the day after where I wanted to use them with my portapro/peltor cans. I heard the tone immediately. I tested all USB-ports on the laptop and several of the hubs connected to it. No difference in sound. At home I tested some more: normal portapros had the tone, the HD650s had the same tone on a much lower volume, but still noticeable. Connected via line-out to my amp, still the tone. Changing the volume on the udac2 did not alter the tone pitch or amplitude. Amp and cans at the same time was curious: the tone got a higher pitch when I raised the volume on the uda2. 2 laptops, 2 desktops tested, as well as a stand-alone USB-powersupply.

I went back to the store today, and got a replacement udac2. According to the salespersons only 1 other customer had complained.
Back home, I tested most of the same things as before, with the same results.

Back to the store again. They went in to their listening room, hooked up their cans and my second udac2 to an iMac. I heard the same tone, and the salesperson did as well. He then tested their own unit, which also had the problem. I got a refund.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #325 of 877

Quote:
Back to the store again. They went in to their listening room, hooked up their cans and my second udac2 to an iMac. I heard the same tone, and the salesperson did as well. He then tested their own unit, which also had the problem. I got a refund.

Bummer for Nuforce 
frown.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #326 of 877
Not to rain on anyone's parade here but after having difficulties with the local store that stocks uDACs and hearing about all these issues I'll stick with my Creative Audigy. I don't think my headphones (or ears for that matter) would benefit from a great DAC anyway *shrug*. Maybe when I'm a few grands richer.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #327 of 877

Quote:
Not to rain on anyone's parade here but after having difficulties with the local store that stocks uDACs and hearing about all these issues I'll stick with my Creative Audigy. I don't think my headphones (or ears for that matter) would benefit from a great DAC anyway *shrug*. Maybe when I'm a few grands richer.

I disagree. Moving from the USB input on my amp to the uDAC, I discovered how much the source of the music can change everything, and how important it is. Makes me think how much further I can go with a more expensive DAC.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #328 of 877
Anyone know what page I can find what the difference between the uDAC 2 and the uDAC 2 HP are?

Also, can we upgrade our uDac v.1's yet, or is the upgrade still out of stock?

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #330 of 877
It does look to be in stock:
http://estore.nuforce.com/products/Icon-uDAC-to-uDac2-Upgrade.html

But just when I was going to pull the trigger I saw the above comments about the tone...so I may wait until there is more 'feedback.' Wouldn't be an issue if I didn't live in the UK. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back