First impression of e2s - and a question
Apr 2, 2004 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chazas

New Head-Fier
I just got my new e2s in the mail yesterday. I popped them in with the medium flex tips as I was vacuuming the house and got a really good seal, very little outside noise, but my initial impression was disappointment compared to my PX100s. The sound seemed a bit astringent, and bass was light even after I turned up the "bass bost" on my JBRv2. Still way better than the EX71s I had just tried out and returned to Amazon, but I was disappointed for the higher price.

Then this morning I tried the foamies. I got the same seal from outside noise, but there must be something about the difference in acoustics with the two tips - it was like night and day. Now I heard what, to my non-audiophile ear, just sounded like a fuller range of sound. And theyr'e actually more, not less, effficient than the PX100s - I had to turn the source sound down. I'd characterize the PX100s as more fun - brighter, bouncer, sparklier, more "surrounded" by the sound. But with the foamies, I think the e2s sound more accurate - just a cleaner, more accurate close-up kind of sound at all ranges. Is this what is meant by having a "soundstage" versus not?

My real question, if you've gotten this far, is whether the little sticky wax guards are really necessary. (I searched and didn't find anything on this topic.) They're tiny, hard to deal with, likely to be misplaced, and don't appear to be easily available on eBay like the foamy tips. All in all, just a PITA to keep on hand. Any thoughts?

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by chazas
My real question, if you've gotten this far, is whether the little sticky wax guards are really necessary.

I say yes, you'd be surprised how much earwax will lodge itself in the earphone otherwise, even with clean ears. Put on the wax guards. You don't think there's enough bass? Hm..maybe more burn-in. I've always thought of the e2s as not lacking in bass...maybe not the best bass, but fine nonetheless. Congrats on the Shures and try to resist the urge to upgrade to the higher models...for now.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

My real question, if you've gotten this far, is whether the little sticky wax guards are really necessary.

I owned the E2 for 8 months and would say that YES the wax guards are important. As long as you keep the sleeves relatively clean and free of wax, the wax guard will last a very long time so the set that you got with the E2 (assuming you got the whole fit kit) will most likely last you for years. I only replaced my wax guards once during this time - when I sold them!

The wax guards will do a good job of keeping wax and other stray debris (pocket lint, etc) out of the main body of the earpiece so in my opinion - just use them.

And clean your sleeves occassionally too! Or at least replace your foamies when they get visibly grungy - don't try to wash them or prolong their life - they are meant to be disposable. Mine usually lasted almost one month with daily use. ymmv

Better safe than sorry.

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

My real question, if you've gotten this far, is whether the little sticky wax guards are really necessary. (I searched and didn't find anything on this topic.) They're tiny, hard to deal with, likely to be misplaced, and don't appear to be easily available on eBay like the foamy tips. All in all, just a PITA to keep on hand. Any thoughts?

The wax guard may or may not be necessary. They do not serve any accoustic purpose other than to prevent ear wax to get into the pipe. If your ears do not produce much wax, you may get away without them. My ears do not produce much wax and for so far I do not see any wax on the wax guard. You can get them straight from Shure

Apr 4, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 5
As far as the bass goes, it just takes some break-in time. Mine really didn't open up until the 3rd day of listening to them pretty rigorously. Also, if you think you get a good seal with the medium tips, try the larger tips for the hell of it.

I was in the same boat and realized I got an even better seal with the larger tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back