First High End Pair of Headphones
Feb 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
which would easily break some of the other suggestions here, such as the K167, Ultrasone Pro 750, Brainwavz HM5, and the Beyer DT770. 

I'm starting to think you've never even held a pair of any of those in your hands. If you have though, do please express that, because otherwise, you're saying something very opposite of what others with these actual headphones would describe them as.

Philips uptowns/downtowns are very flimsy and cheap. I broke one just unboxing it. I bought two for $30 each (Uptowns). They're junk.

The PRO750, HM5 and DT770 are tanks and build to take abuse.

Very best,

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #17 of 29
The PRO750, HM5 and DT770 are tanks and build to take abuse.

I have these two and can verify that this is true. The PRO750 in particular because they're extremely sturdy, they fold up small, and the case is rigid and easily small enough to throw into a bag with many books. No way you'll break the PRO750s in a bookbag unless you were to, IDK, throw them under the school bus?

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #18 of 29
Alright, well since people are still responding, I'll use this thread while it's up. Sorry head-fi :p
First off, thanks for all the help and input! I've been reading a lot of other forums, looking at reviews, etc and I think I've got it narrowed down to 4 choices.

1: Shure SRH 940 it looks pretty good, seems like it would be good for my classical/progy tendencies.
2: I like the look of the V-Moda M-100. I like the looks and the fact that they can take a beating. From the reviews it said the bass would be a little on the high end for classical but that seems like I should be able to easily compensate with an EQ?
3:Sennheiser HD 390 Pro. I like the fact that they have good passive noise cancelling. I didn't like that many people said they have an extremely dry sound and can bring out blemishes in music from lower end sources/recordings. If this is true I'm not sure these would be a great choice
4: Sennheiser Momentum Black. I like the fact that they look awesome. They're lighterweight and would probably be the best of these 4 for walking around and the general amount of movement I do day to day. They're a little over my optimal budget but if the performance is equivalent to any of the others it would be worth it to me to purchase them.

What do you guys think out of these 4 keeping in mind what I want them for.

Thanks again for all the help.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:
1: Shure SRH 940 it looks pretty good, seems like it would be good for my classical/progy tendencies.
2: I like the look of the V-Moda M-100. I like the looks and the fact that they can take a beating. From the reviews it said the bass would be a little on the high end for classical but that seems like I should be able to easily compensate with an EQ?
3:Sennheiser HD 390 Pro. I like the fact that they have good passive noise cancelling. I didn't like that many people said they have an extremely dry sound and can bring out blemishes in music from lower end sources/recordings. If this is true I'm not sure these would be a great choice
4: Sennheiser Momentum Black. I like the fact that they look awesome. They're lighterweight and would probably be the best of these 4 for walking around and the general amount of movement I do day to day. They're a little over my optimal budget but if the performance is equivalent to any of the others it would be worth it to me to purchase them.

What do you guys think out of these 4 keeping in mind what I want them for.

Heya,

1. The SRH940 is very flimsy, and will not survive a bag for long. The swivel mechanism has an obvious little spring and is the weak point of the whole headphone. Also, the sound is not neutral, it's very bright, forward mids, very very shy mid-bass, and some audible but shy sub-bass. It's not what you've described in a headphone at all.

2. Correct. A little EQ and you're good to go. Though this is over-stated. I happen to like classical with a little more `oumph' in the bass myself. Maybe you will too.

3. The HD380 PRO might work for you, though you may not like the edgy sound they have.

4. The momentum would be excellent for you. Consider the cost an investment as they will last you a long time. I wouldn't call them tanks though. If you truly are going to be hard on them, I would not get these. If you can take care of them, then sure, go for it.

Very best,

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #20 of 29
I have never held a pair of HM5s but they appeared to be plastic to me, I was simply assuming and am sorry for that. As for the Ultrasones I have a friend that lives not even an hour away from me, I visit him quite often, he recieved some Pro 750s for christmas and they broke within 2 weeks. It was in no way his fault, he placed them in his bag at the beginning of the day and they were broken by the end of the day, most likely because his math book crushed them. The hinge on the right side snapped clean off, and the part where the cradle meets the actual cup broke on the left side.

As for the DT770 a person in my english class managed to snap the headband on his 32 ohms in half right in front of me. But I plan to get myself a pair of them, only for home use, so I cant say I wouldnt get them because of this.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #21 of 29
I have never held a pair of HM5s but they appeared to be plastic to me, I was simply assuming and am sorry for that. As for the Ultrasones I have a friend that lives not even an hour away from me, I visit him quite often, he recieved some Pro 750s for christmas and they broke within 2 weeks. It was in no way his fault, he placed them in his bag at the beginning of the day and they were broken by the end of the day, most likely because his math book crushed them. The hinge on the right side snapped clean off, and the part where the cradle meets the actual cup broke on the left side.

As for the DT770 a person in my english class managed to snap the headband on his 32 ohms in half right in front of me. But I plan to get myself a pair of them, only for home use, so I cant say I wouldnt get them because of this.

Both of those scenarios are very surprising to me. The 770's headband is metal so I'm not sure how it managed to get snapped in half and whatever broke the PRO 750 in two places was probably enough force to break any headphone on the market aside from maybe the German Maestro 8.35D. Were the PRO 750s in their case?

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #22 of 29
Recomended Ultrasone Hif780's they are portable (fold) sound great unamped (portable amp will really make these shine) and are in your budget. Amazon sells them for $160-200 regularly. Leaving you with enough to grab a portable amp...E7 or E17.

This option you get great sounding headphones and a very versitile portable amp for $300.00.

Welcome!

Source: 2 years of ownership of 780's.

Other headphones I own dt990 600ohm, AKG Q701, PX5 :wink:,

Sold: ultrasone 2400's, dt990 250ohm, dt770's, Sen 598, M50's.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #23 of 29
Yes they were in their case.

As for the DT 770 the metal quite simple just snapped in half, much like if you bend a paperclip too much, I could see stress marks on it so Im not sure if its the first time that he had bent them like he did

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Heya,

1. The SRH940 is very flimsy, and will not survive a bag for long. The swivel mechanism has an obvious little spring and is the weak point of the whole headphone. Also, the sound is not neutral, it's very bright, forward mids, very very shy mid-bass, and some audible but shy sub-bass. It's not what you've described in a headphone at all.

2. Correct. A little EQ and you're good to go. Though this is over-stated. I happen to like classical with a little more `oumph' in the bass myself. Maybe you will too.

3. The HD380 PRO might work for you, though you may not like the edgy sound they have.

4. The momentum would be excellent for you. Consider the cost an investment as they will last you a long time. I wouldn't call them tanks though. If you truly are going to be hard on them, I would not get these. If you can take care of them, then sure, go for it.

Very best,

That was one thing I was worried about with the 940's, they didn't seem to have a case and they will be getting thrown in my bag. They'll be separated from my books and laptop but I'm not risking a $250 pair of headphones to that haha.

After more looking I think the HD380 Pro's are out too... I'd rather have a little more punchy brightness in my music than the more pure sound most people have been saying they have. I'm not doing studio work.

I'm kinda down to either the M-100 or the Momentum. I like the look of the Momentum Black A LOT and the lighter weight/smaller size would be nice. I take as good of care of my things as possible, and since they have a case they'll either be in it, or on my head. I'm felling pretty stuck between the two as I like to look of both of them as well. The one thing that may give the Momentum and edge is that I'd rather boost the Bass through EQ occasionally when I want it than to have to always have it lowered on the M-100. I'm assuming both of these could benefit from an Amp but neither of them NEED one?

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #25 of 29
Recommend Ultrasone Hif780's they are portable (fold) sound great unamped (portable amp will really make these shine) and are in your budget. Amazon sells them for $160-200 regularly. Leaving you with enough to grab a portable amp...E7 or E17.

This provides you with great sounding headphones and a very versitile portable amp for $300.00.

Welcome!

Source: 2 year ownership of 780's.

Other headphones I own dt990 600ohm, AKG Q701, PX5 :wink:,

Sold: ultrasone 2400's, dt990 250ohm, dt770's, Sen 598, M50's.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #26 of 29
Yes they were in their case.

As for the DT 770 the metal quite simple just snapped in half, much like if you bend a paperclip too much, I could see stress marks on it so Im not sure if its the first time that he had bent them like he did

BTW, every part of the 770 is easy and relatively inexpensive to replace. Your friend just needs to get a new headband from Beyerdynamic. In fact they have a pretty lengthy warranty and if its still valid they should replace it for free if the damage occurred under normal use.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:
BTW, every part of the 770 is easy and relatively inexpensive to replace. Your friend just needs to get a new headband from Beyerdynamic. In fact they have a pretty lengthy warranty and if its still valid they should replace it for free if the damage occurred under normal use.

Thanks for the info! I have no idea how long hes had them but Ill pass it on.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
That was one thing I was worried about with the 940's, they didn't seem to have a case and they will be getting thrown in my bag. They'll be separated from my books and laptop but I'm not risking a $250 pair of headphones to that haha.

After more looking I think the HD380 Pro's are out too... I'd rather have a little more punchy brightness in my music than the more pure sound most people have been saying they have. I'm not doing studio work.

I'm kinda down to either the M-100 or the Momentum. I like the look of the Momentum Black A LOT and the lighter weight/smaller size would be nice. I take as good of care of my things as possible, and since they have a case they'll either be in it, or on my head. I'm felling pretty stuck between the two as I like to look of both of them as well. The one thing that may give the Momentum and edge is that I'd rather boost the Bass through EQ occasionally when I want it than to have to always have it lowered on the M-100. I'm assuming both of these could benefit from an Amp but neither of them NEED one?

Momentum is designed to be used directly plugged into the source, you don't have to worry about amping it at all.

Razordog currently has it for $50 off + free shipping. The coupon is on their website, you can pick one up for $299 and skip the tax as well. Definitely the best place to pick one up if you decide on the Momentums. <: 

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #29 of 29
Well, I ended up going with the M-100.
I was really stuck between the two, so I just asked a friend of mine which one she liked the look of better. She liked the M-100's so I went with that! Should be here in about a week. I can't wait!!! :)
Thanks again for all the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back