First High End Pair of Headphones
Feb 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

wycliffslim

New Head-Fier
Alright, so I'll try to be very specific on what I'll use these for to hopefully not waste you guys time. I've never owned a really nice pair of headphones but I love music and would like to get the most out of what I have. At the moment my nicest pair is probably my Turtle Beach gaming headset to give you some context haha.

Price Range:
$300 is pretty much my max. I'd prefer around $250 but if there's a big enough benefit I'm willing to pay.

Use:
I'll be using these for everyday wear. So, walking to classes, studying, plane rides, and just relaxing. I'd like full ear headphones as they're the most comfortable on my ears. Sadly, they need to be closed since I'm around other people quite a bit. I'll also be using these to do some gaming. I wouldn't mind a nice degree of noise-cancelling but it's secondary to quality sound. It would also be a HUGE benefit for them to be sturdy and have a case since I'll be carrying them around in a bookbag all day. Stylish doesn't hurt either :p

My Music:
I listen to almost everything but what I really want these to do well at is prog rock/metal: bands like Symphony X, Dream Theater, Opeth, Genesis, etc. And Orchestral, mainly Yanni, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Bach, etc. I like rock, and some pop/rap but I'd really like to have a pair that will excel with the prog and classical.

I know that these are 2 different styles and I may be better off from a technical standpoint getting 2 different pairs. Realistically though, I change what I'm listening to several times throughout the day so that's not practical at the moment.

Thanks for any help you can give! :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 29
Welcome! There is a thread where you will probably get more responses.

Try here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/full-size-headphone-recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 29
AKG K167.
No case and not the most sturdy but very good sound for the money, and versatile enough for a wide range of genres. Check out the K167 Appreciation Thread for a lot more reviews/impressions.

And yes, it's better to use the recommendation thread to keep things less cluttered around here.
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 29
For a cheaper option that does quite well all around with excellent comfort for almost all headshapes, the Citiscape Uptown is a very safe bet.

For a more expensive option that oozes style whilest still covering all of the musical bases, the new Sennheiser Momentum black is a gorgeous choice. You can snag them for $300 on a particular site. Of note is that they are much smaller than they appear in the pictures. Those with large ears might suffer from discomfort, although my large head seems to not be a problem.

I own or have owned both of the headphones, and can say they're my favorite choices for closed, general use cans.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 29
AKG K167.
No case and not the most sturdy but very good sound for the money, and versatile enough for a wide range of genres. Check out the K167 Appreciation Thread for a lot more reviews/impressions.

And yes, it's better to use the recommendation thread to keep things less cluttered around here. :p
Don't get the AKG K167.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:
Alright, so I'll try to be very specific on what I'll use these for to hopefully not waste you guys time. I've never owned a really nice pair of headphones but I love music and would like to get the most out of what I have. At the moment my nicest pair is probably my Turtle Beach gaming headset to give you some context haha.

Price Range:
$300 is pretty much my max. I'd prefer around $250 but if there's a big enough benefit I'm willing to pay.

Use:
I'll be using these for everyday wear. So, walking to classes, studying, plane rides, and just relaxing. I'd like full ear headphones as they're the most comfortable on my ears. Sadly, they need to be closed since I'm around other people quite a bit. I'll also be using these to do some gaming. I wouldn't mind a nice degree of noise-cancelling but it's secondary to quality sound. It would also be a HUGE benefit for them to be sturdy and have a case since I'll be carrying them around in a bookbag all day. Stylish doesn't hurt either
tongue.gif

My Music:
I listen to almost everything but what I really want these to do well at is prog rock/metal: bands like Symphony X, Dream Theater, Opeth, Genesis, etc. And Orchestral, mainly Yanni, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Bach, etc. I like rock, and some pop/rap but I'd really like to have a pair that will excel with the prog and classical.

I know that these are 2 different styles and I may be better off from a technical standpoint getting 2 different pairs. Realistically though, I change what I'm listening to several times throughout the day so that's not practical at the moment.

Thanks for any help you can give!
smily_headphones1.gif

Heya,

Closed, durable tank like headphones, with case:

Ultrasone PRO 750 - Detachable cable too
Brainwavz HM5 - Detachable cable too
Beyer DT770 PRO LE 32ohm (you can get a Beyer case for $30 from B&H)

Very best,

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 29
Feb 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 29
V-Moda Crossfade M-100

-Stylish
-Great Sounding
-Foldable, removeable cable, hard carrying case = VERY portable
-Closed
-Constructed of almost all steel and aluminum 

Only downside is that they are at the top of your budget at $299, but they are probably the only suggestion here that meets all your needs.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:
they are probably the only suggestion here that meets all your needs.

Have you even tried the other recommendations here? If not, I don't think you're entitled to make such a claim, even IYO.

Also, M-100 for Classical? Nosir. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 29
Ive tried the K167 and did not like it at all actually, I agree with an above poster, they sounded like the sound was coming from some cheap philips I have when I played Metallica and Johnny Cash with them.

And with my experience V-Modas respond very well to EQing, so they could easily be up to par with Classical.

I missed the post about the DT 770s, my next purchase will actually be some DT 770 Pro 250s, I would reccomend those over the 32 Ohm since you can get them cheaper on Amazon, but he would have to buy an amp.

EDIT: I do believe I said that they meet ALL of his specifications, the other suggestions here either do not have a case or are cheaply made, being thrown in a book bag would inevitably crush them eventually. On top of the fact they do not fold, which would make it even easier for them to be crushed. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:
Ive tried the K167 and did not like it at all actually, I agree with an above poster, they sounded like the sound was coming from some cheap philips I have when I played Metallica and Johnny Cash with them.

And with my experience V-Modas respond very well to EQing, so they could easily be up to par with Classical.

I missed the post about the DT 770s, my next purchase will actually be some DT 770 Pro 250s, I would reccomend those over the 32 Ohm since you can get them cheaper on Amazon, but he would have to buy an amp.

EDIT: I do believe I said that they meet ALL of his specifications, the other suggestions here either do not have a case or are cheaply made, being thrown in a book bag would inevitably crush them eventually. On top of the fact they do not fold, which would make it even easier for them to be crushed. 

The phrase V-Modas respond very well to EQing is incredibly bland - are you saying the entire line is excellent when it comes to EQing? Do you own the V-Moda 100 or have extensive experience with it to make such a claim more valid?

I also don't see how the Momentums or Mal's suggestions do not meet "ALL" of the specifications OP listed.

Not trying to start something, just curious why you'd put down other peoples' recommendations while touting your own.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 29
Ill admit I do have a particular bias towards the construction of headphones, which is the main reason I came off as putting down everyone elses suggestions. The very first pair of above $50 headphones I got were some Philips Citiscape Downtowns that one of my aunts gave me for my 17th birthday. I only had them for maybe a month before they were crushed by the books in my backpack during my bus commute. Since he mentioned needing them for school I assumed that he would also be having a number of books, which would easily break some of the other suggestions here, such as the K167, Ultrasone Pro 750, Brainwavz HM5, and the Beyer DT770. Of the 4 I mentioned only one comes with a hard case, that one being the HM5, but the case is almost as big as one of the books he would be carrying, and I have heard from quite a few people that the HM5s sound is very un-natural and horrid sounding. 

I tout the M-100s above the others because of all the ones mentioned they are not only the most portable but also the most durable, easily being able to withstand the pressure that may be put on the case by his books, as well as anything else he would be able to throw at them.

Hope this explains why I put the other suggestions down, and Im sorry if I sounded like a jerk for seemingly not even considering everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back