First headphones after discovering Head-Fi
Mar 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #316 of 329
AD700's, and I still have them!

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #317 of 329
I went from a pair of MDR-7506 to the HD650 and a DIY O2 amp (had to buy all of the soldering equipment as well) within about 2 months of spending time on Head-Fi.

I can't imagine how much money I will end up spending on audio in the next few years...

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #318 of 329
I never bought a headphone before, only going to IEM's. I hope that will change.

Anyways, my first quality IEM was the Me Electronics M9. I was guilty of loving the V-Shaped sound it put out, amazed at how deep the bass went, and the overall quality of the sound. Coming from cheap skullcandies to finally buying something decent, my jaw dropped at how the M9's sounded.. Course, it isn't as great to me now, but I still manage to appreciate it's powerful bass. 

The M9 actually helped me A LOT to be able to experience many different sound signatures... 

Unfortunately, it's longetivity was mediocre, having 3 M9's not lasting more than 2 months. Mee's excellent customer service gave me an M31 for free. Oh my god, it's mid-bass.. Too much. When the M31's broke in a month, they sent me a pair of M11+'s.. Appreciated the size and all, but the bass seemed a tad lacking. When it broke in 3 weeks, Mee sent me a SP51. It's interesting to say the least. The Black port giving enough bass to make you puke. More than the M31's. No way. The gun-metal plate is fine, but the treble is terribly sibilant. Using the EQ to lower the treble makes the sound seem muddy. 
Well, Mee sort of dissapointed me with their durability, but at least I got the opportunity to browse through almost all their entire line of IEM's.. The M9 was sort of a "ticket" to many of their IEM's.. 

The SP51's have lasted me a long time now, but then again, I haven't been using them as my Fuze completely fell apart about 2 months ago... I need a new source.. But my stingy asian parents are being unreasonable with me... I'm stuck with staring at my SP51's, imagining what they sound like..

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #319 of 329

Quote:
I never bought a headphone before, only going to IEM's. I hope that will change.

Anyways, my first quality IEM was the Me Electronics M9. I was guilty of loving the V-Shaped sound it put out, amazed at how deep the bass went, and the overall quality of the sound. Coming from cheap skullcandies to finally buying something decent, my jaw dropped at how the M9's sounded.. Course, it isn't as great to me now, but I still manage to appreciate it's powerful bass. 

The M9 actually helped me A LOT to be able to experience many different sound signatures... 

Unfortunately, it's longetivity was mediocre, having 3 M9's not lasting more than 2 months. Mee's excellent customer service gave me an M31 for free. Oh my god, it's mid-bass.. Too much. When the M31's broke in a month, they sent me a pair of M11+'s.. Appreciated the size and all, but the bass seemed a tad lacking. When it broke in 3 weeks, Mee sent me a SP51. It's interesting to say the least. The Black port giving enough bass to make you puke. More than the M31's. No way. The gun-metal plate is fine, but the treble is terribly sibilant. Using the EQ to lower the treble makes the sound seem muddy. 
Well, Mee sort of dissapointed me with their durability, but at least I got the opportunity to browse through almost all their entire line of IEM's.. The M9 was sort of a "ticket" to many of their IEM's.. 

The SP51's have lasted me a long time now, but then again, I haven't been using them as my Fuze completely fell apart about 2 months ago... I need a new source.. But my stingy asian parents are being unreasonable with me... I'm stuck with staring at my SP51's, imagining what they sound like..

Lawl and the first thing they would say is "Do you know how long you have to work for minimum wage to earn that money?" Don't you just hate it when your parents throw reality in your face. Of course, if you had a job, that'd be a completely different matter.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #321 of 329
After losing my beloved PortaPro's, I found headfi after my first purchase:

1. ZAGGphones, bought and returned. Worse than my PortaPro in every aspect of sound save isolation alone.
2. Audio Technica ATH-AD700, bought and returned. I wanted a fuller sound without bass roll off.
3. Etymotic Hf5, bought and returned. I loved the isolation, but still not rich enough. Too sterile sounding.
4. Koss CC_01, bought and returned. Too sibilant, and it wouldn't stay seated in my ear, despite the inventive fitting nozzle.
5. Koss KDE/250, which I finally kept. It was incredibly full sounding with two dynamic drivers, and had plenty of bass, while still maintaining smooth treble.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #322 of 329
KSC75 I think, a little over a year ago.  I got the MDR-7506 and MDR-V700DJ years prior to discovering head-fi.  I found head-fi while searching for some knowledge on acoustic mods and recabling for my headphones, got hooked on the reading, and decided to start collecting.  I read tons about the KSC75 and to me it was a no-brainer; I promptly ordered a pair on ebay for I think $13.88 shipped.

I love them.  Sometimes I'll put them on and they'll sound like budget-fi, but I always enjoy the sound they put out.  Great sound signature even when I can hear their grain and miss the detail and clarity of my nicer headphones.  Fun to wear too.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #323 of 329
Sennheiser HD280 Pro was my first real headphone.  Moved on to a DT770 Pro-80, loved it for the isolation, treble and bass response, but the recessed midrange is starting to get to me a little.  The HD280's with the tack mod and Beyerdynamic velour pad replacements sounded so much better for rock and metal.  But I got the DT770 for electronic mostly, so it's ok.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #324 of 329
not sure if i was on before or after i had my grado 60s but I'm sure it was really close to then

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #326 of 329
I bought a Superlux HD668 few days after asking around in this forums. It was around $55 and followed by a Fiio E9 ($119) that was traded for an E10 ($91) few months later. I really like it, it's a detailed and clear sounding headphone in my opinion and last month I purchased an AKG Q701 for $270 with hope that it has a similar sound signature like my Superlux. Probably I'll buy a better DAC or amp if I'm not satisfied.

Can't wait for my Q701 to arrive :)

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #327 of 329
I was very close to buying some Bose AE2's when I discovered Head-fi...that was a mistake that was closely averted. I bought some ATH-M50's instead. The bug bit hard and here I am now, my wallet thousands of dollars lighter and still hopelessly addicted.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #328 of 329
Before discovering this thread I own AKG K420 but then due to some heavy usage it broke...
well I go for Grado SR60i and GoVibe Petite. It has been a blessing ever since considering I can't spend big money on these things.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back