First good earphones!
May 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

erincamera

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I usually use my PX 200ii's when i'm at school, but i have a lot of books to carry so putting them on becomes a hassle. I've probably smacked myself in the face more times than i can count. That has got to stop. When i'm lazy, i just use the ipod earphones. That has also got to stop. The music i enjoy listening to are mainly soundtracks. Maybe some rock, pop, and edm, but soundtracks are my main thing. So something with good mids? My budget is $50, and I do not like in ear earphones.

Thanks! 

May 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 14
Before you give up on the Apple Earpods, go to Radio Shack and get some of those foam covers to go over them.   With those put on the earpods, you get a MUCH bettter seal.   Turns it into a whole other ballgame.   Give it a shot.   You may be pleasantly surprised how good they can be when you get those foam covers put on.   They don't even sound like the same earbud.

If ya do it, there's no need to cut any holes in the covers.   Just slip them on and adjust them so the back vent is not covered. 

May 21, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Before you give up on the Apple Earpods, go to Radio Shack and get some of those foam covers to go over them.   With those put on the earpods, you get a MUCH bettter seal.   Turns it into a whole other ballgame.   Give it a shot.   You may be pleasantly surprised how good they can be when you get those foam covers put on.   They don't even sound like the same earbud.

If ya do it, there's no need to cut any holes in the covers.   Just slip them on and adjust them so the back vent is not covered. 

Interesting. Maybe I'll give it a try if I can't find anything better! :)

May 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

You may want to give this a shot before you spend any money on new earbuds.    You may find that it'll save ya some money.  The difference is far from subtle.

Are they just some generic foam covers? Do they come in a blister pack? I have 2 sets of earpods and have never listened to them as I always keep my iPhone accessories in new shape in order to get the best resale when it is time to upgrade - I would like to try them, though.

May 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Are they just some generic foam covers? Do they come in a blister pack? I have 2 sets of earpods and have never listened to them as I always keep my iPhone accessories in new shape in order to get the best resale when it is time to upgrade - I would like to try them, though.

Yes, they are generic and come in a blister pack.  

You can get cheaper ones on Amazon, but the Radio Shack ones are a bit thicker and stronger so they don't tear when putting them on, plus they provide a better seal, yet are acoustically transparent.

It changed my opinion on the earpods from, "these are awful", to, "these are pretty nice".

May 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 14
If you're using a later idevice (iPod Touch 4/5, iPhone 4/5) - also check out the Accudio app (https://itunes.apple.com/app/accudio-pro/id553759905?mt=8).

I use the new pods (with foam covers) a lot at work (my SE535 block too much sound so impractical).  Combined with the Accudio app (basically a preset EQ to create a flat response), IMO the earpods climb to a higher level again.  The best thing about the paid app (its ~ $5.00) is that you can also choose to flavour the hi-fi adjusted EQ.  Eg take the initial setting as Earpod, and then apply a K701 simulation mode.  For someone who wants to change the initial signature of the earpods without extensively mucking around with an add-on parametric EQ, Accudio is really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back