First full size amp replacing pico.
Nov 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rdmorris

Head-Fier
I am looking for a permanent desktop solution, it needs to be an upgrade from the pico, and I would like to have something with tubes. The headphones I will be useing with it will be sr 225 alo mod, and 702s. Thanks in advance.

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 15
Both of your headphones are low impedance and would benefit from a Solid State amp more than a tube amp. Acceptions to this would be hybrid amps with mosfet output or something with adjustable gain.

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 15
I don't know what your budget is, but the EF1 is really nice and plenty warm for those headphones.

In my mind, a no brainer when it comes to introductory tube amps. It really brings a nice full sound to the table.

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 15
How does the EF1 compare to the LD MKII?

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 15
The EF1 compares to amps more than its price, not below....

If it is constantly beating the DV 336i, it is definitely stomping on the LDII.
I was also talking to Fang yesterday in putting a cool LED device under the tube that would look great and also serve as an identification for when the tube warms up.

Basically a 7 color LED that is already available that does a flash through all of the colors for about 15 seconds and then gives you control of going through each color using a pushbutton control.

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 15
I am terribly new to the tube thing, why is there only one tube on a stereo signal? Does it mix down to mono and split before the op amps?

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdmorris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am terribly new to the tube thing, why is there only one tube on a stereo signal? Does it mix down to mono and split before the op amps?

Some tubes have dual setups inside, so there are really two tubes inside one bottle.

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 15
That amp is a hybrid and has mosfet output. The tube is an input or gain tube and then the two mosfet sections drive your headphones. Tube input and Solid State output. If it were an all tube amp then you would see two more tubes for the left and right channel.

12AU7 is a miniature 9-pin medium-gain dual triode vacuum tube.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 15
The setup is iTunes and foobar into some dac yet TBA(most likely the new pico dac only when available). I was thinking maxing out price wise around 800, but the cheaper the better. The whole reason is the my pico is pulling double duty and I would rather just have 2 separate setups.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 15
Thanks for the help. Soon I will have an EF1
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back