First Dedicated HP system
Jul 24, 2002 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jvh

Head-Fier
I am putting together a dedicated Head Phone system.
Could I get some feedback on what I've done so far?

AC Power: Dedicated circuit. BPT BP-Jr on the way.

Source: Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD Player (I had one lying around and decided to put it to use)

Amps: HeadRoom Maxed Out Home w/reference module. (in place)
MG Head OTL (on the way)

Interconnects: DiMarizo M-Path

Phones: HD 600, RS1

Working on a cable upgrade for 600's and stocking a selection of tubes for the MG Head.

Thanks,
John

Jul 24, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 12
Welcome to Head-Fi, jvh.
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks to me like you're most definitely on the right path. Your quest may be over in short order.
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 12
That looks like an excellent system. The only area I might change would be the interconnects, since I'm unfamiliar w/ the DiMarzios. I'd probably go for either Bolder Type 2 (Belden-based) or Cardas Neutral Reference, from the reviews I've read.

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the replies.

I also just placed an order for an assembled Mapletree Audio Ear + amplifier.

I have my headphone components housed in a small cabinet on top of a night stand next to my bed for some relaxed listening sessions.
redface.gif

Coud I have some recommendations for some premium tube upgrades for the MG Head and Ear+? Also some good sources for purchase in the states.

John

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 12
Well, since you aren't exactly getting an entry-level system (MANY of us would drool over it), I'd reccommend getting the "Big One"- the Sylvania 5751 Triple Mica Blackplate. There's at least three label variants that I have (one has grayish military "etched" variant, one has a green label with the sylvania tube logo [NOT the JAN 5751!!!], and one has a yellow/gold JHS 5751) in the JHS "military grade" tube.

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 12
Would these tubes be acceptable?

5751 Sylvania "Black Plates and Triple Mica" NOS square getter halo, copper grid posts, yellow lightning Sylvania logo and printing 1950's

JHS-5751 Sylvania NOS black plates triple mica copper grid posts Gold Printing 1958

John

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 12
*YES*!!!

Where'd you find 'em? No wait, don't say it out loud, or every HeadFier will flock over and outbid you. (not that that'll be easy, there's a ton of Sylvies on e*mmmf* at the moment)

Jul 25, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 12
Would this be another good selection to try?

5751 Siemens Germany "triple mica" mid-1960's
(from top end air and clarity to open and focused mids, to articulate
and refined bass, this is the best sounding, lowest noise 5751 in the world)
this tube is recommended for the best linestages and phono stages that need
extremely low-noise and ZERO microphonics)

John

Jul 25, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 12
strange...everyone here seems to be really into the sylvania 5751...back when I had my MG Head...I liked the sound of the Raytheon/Westinghouse 5751 much more...

Jul 25, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
strange...everyone here seems to be really into the sylvania 5751...back when I had my MG Head...I liked the sound of the Raytheon/Westinghouse 5751 much more...

I'm with you, Tim, the Raytheon is where it's at with the Head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back