First Decent Headphones (Closed)
Sep 27, 2010 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wortwortwort

New Head-Fier
I know that to the audiophiles here, what I'm looking for may not be considered decent, but since I'm moving from using either stock iPod earbuds or Turtle Beach X1s (Bought for my Xbox), this should be a massive improvement.

My maximum for this is $200, but if I could stay under $150, it would be great. 

I listen to mostly (80-90%) heavy metal, but with some jazz as well as some more underground hip hop/rap. 

My music is either played from my iPod or from my computer. Right now it is an integrated soundcard, but there's an old Creative Soundblaster Audigy card lying around somewhere in my house, which has got to be an improvement, but I just haven't used it all because there was no point given the headphones I was using. My music files are a pretty big range of formats and bitrates, but once I get something decent, I can start replacing music with higher quality versions.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Sennheiser 280s, although on this forum they don't seem to be well regarded. There are also the ATH-M50s, which I've seen for less than $130 shipped (to Canada) on eBay. I'm open to any suggestions.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 12
Do you want something a bit neutral or with a lot of bass that's more fun?

If you want a more neutral headphone that's good for nearly everything, get the SRH-840. If you want even more bass, get the SRH-750DJ or ATH-M50. The SRH-750dj is probably a bit more detailed then the M50, but i'm not 100% sure of this.

For something Grado-like without the harsh highs, the Koss Pro DJ 100 is amazing, but needs a good amp to sound best. They don't have as much bass as the 750DJ or M50. About the same amount of bass as the SRH-840. Maybe a tad less.

BTW I wouldn't suggest paying more then $150 for the SRH-840. Make sure to order from someone that will accept a return if they don't fit. They're big and heavy. M50's are far more comfortable. Pro DJ 100 is way lighter then both of them. 6.5oz or something like that!

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 12

Not worth it really. I'd just get the M50s if you think you won't mind a lot of bass.
Some people on here also prefer the SRH-750DJ to the SRH-840. That's a bit cheaper, but does have more bass then the M50.
Quote:
Right now, the cheapest I could find the SRH-840 was $170 shipped + $29 in UPS brokerage fees. I can get the M50 for $130 shipped without the brokerage fees...

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Ok, I think I'll probably be going with the M50s. 

Second question, which would make a better setup, using an old Soundblaster Audigy or using the integrated audio? The motherboard uses the Realtek ALC888. I've been trying out the Soundblaster, but with the headphones I have, I can't really tell the difference.

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
MidgetT said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

you can find Shure SRH840 on ebay for 140 shipped.  They are excellent.  It's lower end counterpart, the 440, is nothing to turn your nose up at either.

Were this not already suggested I would have made the suggestion. The SRH840 are easier to listen to than any other can I have, have great sound and great isolation. They're a bit heavy, but they're almost impossible to beat at their price. They suffer the usual caveats of closed cans, but a much lower extent than others.

They seem to provide enough sound stage that I no longer needed my ATH-AD700's. They're a perfect counterpart for my Grado SR325i, doing everything I could ask them to. They're butter smooth once broken in. I will tell ya' though, they break in a lot. There's burn in on the drivers and break in on the pads to contend with. Expect them to under perform for about 200 hours, but that's 200 hours they'll wanna be on your head. You want the pads to break also.

I found that they also prefer a looser fit. Don't clamp them down to a perfect fit but rather give them 1 or 2 notches extra room. They just sound better this way for whatever reason. As a caveat I cannot say I've heard them with metal. with Disturbed and the right tube/amp combo they sound pretty alright... but you may have a similar issue with any other closed can. Definitely better for other things. If the music is darker and bassier then you'll love the shures, if you want the high highs, th srh840's aren't neccessarily piercing and you may lose some detail with them. But they are pretty forgiving, and if you aren't listening to masterly recorded metal that will pay off in the end.

Also the 440 is said to be the vast majority of the 840 and when you get bored or want more you can buy the 840 pads and supposedly it brings it even closer.

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 12
the pads are just more comfortable...the difference in sound is negligible (but the comfort difference is pretty significant).  the 440 shares the accuracy of the 840 but have a slight emphasis on treble, at least from what i've listened to.  The 440 is also lightler and has a more natural fit to the head.  Since my other pair of headphones are grado, i opted for the 840, but neither is a poor choice.

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #10 of 12
You can get the SRH 840 for about $135 shipped from Northern Sound and Lights. You have to call them up for that though, number is on they're site.

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #11 of 12
On second though, just saw you were in Canada. Shipping may or may not be more, ring them up if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back