First build(european)
Jun 24, 2008 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Hellesoe

Head-Fier
hey there
smily_headphones1.gif

im new in the whole Head-fi world, and is therefore going to build me a complete beginner setup!

need to fit my soon to come AKG KI 701(hope they suite my taste rock/metal/symphonic)

so therefore im in need of a setup wich will run off 230V AC

i'll need a DAC + AMP that can drive my AKG 701.

im not a beginner within the eletronics world as im about to study to an eletronic engineer(next year) and have had several courses on eletronics on my former College(called HTX here in Denmark)

any help which DAC + AMP combo that would be good ?

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 53
i think ill be building the Alien DAC

and then im thinking about building a CK2III - M^3 - Pimata or so... the only thing im going to figure out is how to make my power supply as most of the builds are with DC in and im using AC... any ideas ?

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 53
I can vouch firsthand for the combination of the Alien DAC and CK²III, as I built this exact combo a good few months ago. The CK²III is a wonderful amp, especially considering its relatively low cost. It has its own on-board power supply section, so all you need to do is supply it with ±15VAC.

The main job of any power supply you'd build for these projects is to 'rectify' the AC coming from your transformer's secondaries into a more-or-less steady DC signal (the ripple will determine if it's 'more' or 'less'
tongue.gif
).

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can vouch firsthand for the combination of the Alien DAC and CK²III, as I built this exact combo a good few months ago. The CK²III is a wonderful amp, especially considering its relatively low cost. It has its own on-board power supply section, so all you need to do is supply it with ±15VAC......

A 'No-Brainer' to me. A Grossly under-rated amp.
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 53
If you want to keep your costs low and sourcing easy, you could order kits from Jeff Rossell. Check www.glassjaraudio.com

I've ordered from him a few times and never had customs charges.

He's a great guy to deal with and many headfiers use his kits.

The $/€ exchange rate is great right now so you get a great "discount" too.

If you don't want the trouble of SMD soldering the PCM IC Jeff can presolder it for you for a small fee.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Manuel

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to keep your costs low and sourcing easy, you could order kits from Jeff Rossell. Check Glass Jar Audio

I've ordered from him a few times and never had customs charges.

He's a great guy to deal with and many headfiers use his kits.

The $/€ exchange rate is great right now so you get a great "discount" too.

If you don't want the trouble of SMD soldering the PCM IC Jeff can presolder it for you for a small fee.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Manuel

you read my mind :p actuatly that was what i meant to do... and about the voltage HIt me har please -_- thought for a day that in Denmark we run on DC lol xP(we run on AC off course xP)

but well now i know that i will be building the Alien DAC now i just need to decide what amp,

currently between the Millet Max /hybrid or the CK²III proberly the last for now as it's a bit cheaper :p

EDIT:

amps i "want" to build

B22 2 channel
CK²III
Millet Max

any ideas what to build as first ? would like a great sounding one and actuatly the B22 2 channel isn't that exspensive... 162 dollars with parts isn't devestating...

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellesøe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
currently between the Millet Max /hybrid or the CK²III proberly the last for now as it's a bit cheaper :p

EDIT:

amps i "want" to build

B22 2 channel
CK²III
Millet Max

any ideas what to build as first ? would like a great sounding one and actuatly the B22 2 channel isn't that exspensive... 162 dollars with parts isn't devestating...

I would recommend CK²III first. And if you are interested in a good Hybrid amp, you can better waiting for the SOHA II, which is using better audio tubes (instead of car tubes in the other amp). SOHA II will be released soon , very soon.
BTW, I don't think that you can build a 2 channel B22 for US$ 162, you probably have overlooked a lot of hidden cost.
wink.gif

(I'm typing this message while listening to music via my CK²III in the office)

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 53
The Millett MAX would be a better choice for the beginner - there's no line voltage power wiring or transformer to mess with. Although, most of the amps you list are not truly beginner's builds. The PIMETA probably comes closest and would be a reasonable first build if you skip the CMoy.

People love to diss the Millett's tubes, but they are cheap and there are many happy builders. There aren't many any other choices if you don't want to mess with line-voltage or high voltage.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: It's possible that the Starving Student Millett Hybrid might be the best choice for you as a beginner. There could be some changes coming that might make it a fairly simple build (even though it is already). It has the advantage of having an off-the-shelf power supply that it compatible with both 110 and 220 line voltage. That might make it pretty easy for a European build.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #11 of 53
I don't want to talk for Hellesøe but he is not a biginner as many other beginners we often see at this place.
With HTX back ground in Denmark (~ MTS in the Netherlands), his technical skills is at least above average comparing to Head-Fi folks around here. He might not have much soldering experiences, but he is not a "noob", Just FYI.
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to talk for Hellesøe but he is not a biginner as many other beginners we often see at this place.
With HTX back ground in Denmark (~ MTS in the Netherlands), his technical skills is at least above average comparing to Head-Fi folks around here. He might not have much soldering experiences, but he is not a "noob", Just FYI.
wink.gif

you hid the nail spot on
wink.gif
well ive been soldering since i was 13-14 years old (now 19) so well in that field i can deal with the most :p althoug i hate SMD components
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 53
and another question where is there a link for a STEP power supply ? can't find anything about it anywhere althoug i see people build it :p

EDIT:

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO CHOOSE xP now i just got a look at (actualy the one ferrari built) the B22 and beta22 and it looks exstremely nice, althoug i cant quite figure out the specs on the power supply or how to make it so i can use it :p

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellesøe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and another question where is there a link for a STEP power supply ? can't find anything about it anywhere althoug i see people build it :p

Is this what you're looking for ?

Tangent Easy Power Supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back