Firewire 410 and Soundcards+DAC difference?
Feb 26, 2006 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rem7

New Head-Fier
So I've been going thru the forums reading stuff about DACs, soundcards, and stuff related to the computer as the source.

I see some ppl use this setup: (1st setup)
Soundcard > DAC > AMP > Headphones.

and others have: (2nd setup)
firewireport > M Audio Firewire410 > (AMP?) > Headphones.

so, I kinda got lost there...
Is there a difference between using Firewire410 and soundcard+DAC?
What are the advantages of using one over the other?

I went to the M-Audio website and the firewire410 is listed in the 'mobile recording' section, is this device mostly used for recording?

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 12
the 410 is great for its price, and very useful. you can pretty much hook anything up to it and if you can't then you can with an adapter.

it also has 2 great sounding dacs IMO.

edit: it's all about the synergy of your gear.

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 12
that depends on the soundcard and dac, keep in mind the 410 has s/pdif and optical outs so you could buy a dac at a later time and hook it up to the 410.

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
that depends on the soundcard and dac, keep in mind the 410 has s/pdif and optical outs so you could buy a dac at a later time and hook it up to the 410.

I like that... however... wouldn't that be like having two DACs? Is there really a change in quality?

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 12
yes, actually the 410 has 2 different dacs already, 1 dac the ak4355, going to outputs 1/2 3/4 5/6, and the 2nd dac, the ak4381 , going to outputs 7/8. the headphone outs also have a separate ak4381.

So you would have 3 different dacs if you bought another and yes the sound would be better/worse/different depending on your tastes what headphones/speakers you use, and also if you were going to buy a separate dac you would also need to buy an amp.

the more choices of dac/amp combos you have the better IMO
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 12
i dont notice to much difference between the two, which i think was the intention of m-audio and why they don't mention in the specs that there is different dacs in the 410. they are great sounding dacs, I've tried the entire m-audio mobile recording line and ended up with the 410. today i had some miles davis playing through monitors, it sounds live, that's the only way to describe it.
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #10 of 12
all right. Awesome. thanks for answering my questions. I think im gonna give a try to the firewire410 (when my wallet recovers lol)
Thanks!

P.S. the Firewire410 also looks badass lol

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rem7
all right. Awesome. thanks for answering my questions. I think im gonna give a try to the firewire410 (when my wallet recovers lol)
Thanks!

P.S. the Firewire410 also looks badass lol

it sure does! and here's mine doing it's job, i don't think i could handle having any less outputs. hehe

eww a bit blury...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back