Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 29, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #3,451 of 6,223
Hi everyone, long time lurker here. I am wondering whether to go for the KR5 or XE6 so wondered what you would recommend given my stable of sources.
The IEMs will be used mostly with A&K's SP3000, the Chord Mojo 2+Poly and Hugo 2+2Go. Many thanks in advance!

You are definitely KR5 candidate, unless you want something completely different from your Ra :wink:

Dec 29, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #3,452 of 6,223
I’m considering the neon 4, krypton 6 and xenon 6. I currently own u12t, ier z1r, ie900, a8000, kse1200 and lcd i4. I listen to everything from classical to edm to metal and even electronic ambient music. Which of the firs would you people recommend?

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #3,453 of 6,223
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #3,454 of 6,223
Thank you Alex! :wink:
I would give them a serious try before any decission. The Xe6 would definitely provide a new experience on top of what you are used to.
Please note, at first, I found the Kr5 more acceptable but the Xe6 won due to their much enjoyable musicality (it may takes time to adjust to the Xe6).
My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #3,455 of 6,223
I’m considering the neon 4, krypton 6 and xenon 6. I currently own u12t, ier z1r, ie900, a8000, kse1200 and lcd i4. I listen to everything from classical to edm to metal and even electronic ambient music. Which of the firs would you people recommend?
Kr5 without any hesitation. 😎👍

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #3,456 of 6,223
I tried NE4, KR5 and XE6 back-to-back several months ago, and bought KR5. I haven't regretted my choice for a second and love KR5 every time I use it. I could still see a place for XE6 as well, if I had the funds. At the time of testing, I felt XE6 was too warm and the bass was too all-encompassing. It's almost like starting a fine dining experience and having port with your first course, then moving on to the hard stuff!

I think XE6 takes more time and brain burn-in to adjust to its presentation. Some module, tip and cable rolling would likely help to tune the presentation to taste. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Frontier series though.

Dec 29, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #3,457 of 6,223
I would give them a serious try before any decission. The Xe6 would definitely provide a new experience on top of what you are used to.
Please note, at first, I found the Kr5 more acceptable but the Xe6 won due to their much enjoyable musicality (it may takes time to adjust to the Xe6).
My 2 cents.
It takes time to adjust to Kr5 as well, fyi. It's not just Xe6's bass levels you need to adjust to. Kr5's lower treble/upper mids is also something your brian needs to adjust to. At first it comes across dull. Soon enough, everything falls into place just like Xe6 does. Just at another part of the FR.
Each subsequent adjustment period is shorter but it never fully goes away. Takes me around 3-8 mins now after 6 months of use.
iirc, Ne4 was the most adjustment free, but also the more pedestrian listen.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #3,459 of 6,223
instead of KR5, I would choose Odin. and the best of both - XE6

Same boat. Having the Odin negates the need for a KR5.

I need to get more time with the NE4 - the only one in the Frontiers series I'm not sure about yet.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #3,460 of 6,223
Thank you all for the input. Order placed for a KR5- I have auditioned both and the XE6 struck me as similar to the MMR Thummim (which I loved).
However, it also sounded like the bass was a little overwhelming and that the overall sound signature rather coloured as a result.

I preferred the KR5 but never formed a proper opinion on it due to the brevity of my time with the IEM. It sounds like it will be right up my alley sound-wise so pretty excited to get it.

At any rate, glad to finally get in on the FIR Audio hype train, all of the Frontier Series models have been on my radar for way too long!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #3,461 of 6,223
It takes time to adjust to Kr5 as well, fyi. It's not just Xe6's bass levels you need to adjust to. Kr5's lower treble/upper mids is also something your brain needs to adjust to. At first it comes across dull.
That's a very fair point, I still find that with KR5. It doesn't take long to adjust, but I'd still like a bit more treble emphasis for my tastes. Not wanting to get into the whole cable rabbit hole, but I am wondering whether a change of cables would help just bring a little more liveliness to the top end.

One thing I absolutely love about KR5 is its ability to just disappear. Regardless of track or genre, it seems to get out of the way and present an immersive musical experience. No party tricks, no gimmicks, just great music.

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #3,462 of 6,223
Thank you all for the input. Order placed for a KR5- I have auditioned both and the XE6 struck me as similar to the MMR Thummim (which I loved).
However, it also sounded like the bass was a little overwhelming and that the overall sound signature rather coloured as a result.

I preferred the KR5 but never formed a proper opinion on it due to the brevity of my time with the IEM. It sounds like it will be right up my alley sound-wise so pretty excited to get it.

At any rate, glad to finally get in on the FIR Audio hype train, all of the Frontier Series models have been on my radar for way too long!
Awesome news, Nick. I hope you enjoy KR5.

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #3,463 of 6,223

all the "problems" with excessive bass in XE6 are solved by the cable and the selection of eartips.
Believe me, everything has been tried.

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #3,464 of 6,223
all the "problems" with excessive bass in XE6 are solved by the cable and the selection of eartips.
Believe me, everything has been tried.
If you are willing to invest the time, money and effort. I know I am not- after a plug, play and forget experience :)

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #3,465 of 6,223
I don't know--I guess my experience was different than everyone else's. Out of the box, I didn't find the XE6 overly bassy. By audiophile standards, compared to a neutral IEM, maybe? But I'm used to a warm sound. I'm running a Sony DAP, Audeze over ears, and the raptgo hook x as a daily driver. I found the xe6 with the gold modules just fine out of the box. The kr5 was a close runner up, and for the price difference, I could see going with the kr5 and putting the cost difference towards a DAP and nicer cable. If money was no object, I enjoyed the extra bit of detail at the top on the xe6. It made it more of a daily driver for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back