Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Feb 19, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #962 of 6,222
Isn’t MMCX receded? The RCX connection inside the IEM sticks out like that, whereas most MMCX is inside the IEM and the male part is on the cable? I could be wrong though.

I know FiR stands behind their RCX quite firmly so I’d be surprised if it is MMCX.

Retail universals
Fir Audio USA/Canada/UK/central-south America =RCX
Fir Audio Asia/ all other regions =mmcx

Custom IEM
globally =RCX

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Feb 19, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #967 of 6,222
How are you finding it? What do you drive it with?

I am testing m4 and m5 atm
At first I thought m4 was more to my liking but with further listen M5 is much better and elevates things to a higher rank.

If you buy Fir go for M5!
I test it with all type of music

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #969 of 6,222
Look at website you male it custom design as u wish even with logos!

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #971 of 6,222
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #973 of 6,222
How are you finding it? What do you drive it with?
I really enjoy them. I don't find myself wanting anything extra from their sound... I listen to rock, pop, hip-hop, blues, americana/folk type stuff.

I came from an Empire Ears Nemesis/Valkyrie combination and the M5 perfectly fixed the things I didn't like about the Empire Ears models: much more balanced bass response (yet still has the DD texture), brought the midrange forward, and tamed down the treble. I sold my Nemesis and Valkyrie to purchase the M5 and I'm glad I did. I no longer feel like I have to chase my "unicorn" as I can't point to any part of the M5 sound that I'd change.

I've listened to them with my Google Pixel 3, iPhone 7(from work), and an iFi Micro iDSD Black Label. They all sound good, but I prefer the iPhone and the iDSD BL to the Google Pixel. If I'm being honest, I think I like the sound out of the iPhone with the lightning to 3.5mm adapter the best - to my ears it has the darkest background and best instrument separation. I don't trust my ears enough to say whether their signature changes with sources (their LID-like technology is supposed to resist signature changes). I think the last piece I need to truly complete my setup is the RME ADI-2-DAC with its dedicated IEM output... but that's quite a leap when they sound so damn good straight from an old iPhone.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #974 of 6,222
The universal model M5 is red. I posted a couple pictures on this thread when I received mine.

When I asked I was told there was no option to change the color.

You are correct

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #975 of 6,222
I use my M5 as a daily driver... but I've only had it since Saturday.

I auditioned it, along with the M3 and M4, for a week prior to purchasing though.

I am anxiously waiting my turn for a FiR slumber party as well. There will be an epic pillow fight between the M3, M4, M5 and Trio. As Connor McLeod said, "There can be only one." Otherwise, my missus will kick me out and I'll have to sell everything to buy a new house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back