Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Feb 13, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #916 of 6,222
Wow... Sounds like they are amazing.
Yep. Can't go wrong. Now buy one lol

@Vitaly2017 for guitars I suggest listening to the live recording of al di meola's Mediterranean Sundance

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #917 of 6,222
I just did couple quick swaps between my trio and m5. My goodness

M5 is like a true room speaker setup and trio like a small shelf speaker.

The difference in sound is so immense more then I even anticipated it. I cant go back to trio after I heard m5 its is extremely powerful loud and precise. But dont think I am saying this is a loud iem, its the sound output is like full, very big and all details are super easy to discern and hear. This is like enabling volume normalize in wm1z but without penalizing the frequency limitations!

Fun fact I also did some cable a/b, stock vs my gold plated silver.
I find the m5 to be even more refined with the gold cable! Treble is further improved and smothered, with stock cable I dont really like the treble, like its very good but with the gold there is just a better finesse to it. It can be less fatiguing due the particular way that the treble zings with the stock. With gold plated cable its refined and gentle super silky. Like it has the same performance but the resonance of the treble tonality is smooth natural even more!

It also changes with bass, stock cable seems to be slightly more rumbly but the rest of bass is pretty much unchanged just a bit more rumbly.

What I think I am hearing here is the particularity of a pure copper cable, it reminds me a lot that ares II 8 wire cable tonality. Personally I stopped liking copper cable exactly for that reason, cause they dont sound as good and refined as a gold plated silver. It is my preference of course you may prefer the copper :)

And all those effects and nuances are very hard to discern , so it might not even bother a few audiophilers haha
Ass I say I go by the feelings and those are what resonates in my ears, I simply love gold tonality signature :)

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #918 of 6,222

The difference in sound is so immense more then I even anticipated it. I cant go back to trio after I heard m5 its is extremely powerful loud and precise. But dont think I am saying this is a loud iem, its the sound output is like full, very big and all details are super easy to discern and hear. This is like enabling volume normalize in wm1z but without penalizing the frequency limitations!

I find the m5 to be even more refined with the gold cable! Treble is further improved and smothered, with stock cable I dont really like the treble, like its very good but with the gold there is just a better finesse to it. It can be less fatiguing due the particular way that the treble zings with the stock. With gold plated cable its refined and gentle super silky. Like it has the same performance but the resonance of the treble tonality is smooth natural even more!

It also changes with bass, stock cable seems to be slightly more rumbly but the rest of bass is pretty much unchanged just a bit more rumbly.

What I think I am hearing here is the particularity of a pure copper cable, it reminds me a lot that ares II 8 wire cable tonality. Personally I stopped liking copper cable exactly for that reason, cause they dont sound as good and refined as a gold plated silver. It is my preference of course you may prefer the copper :)

And all those effects and nuances are very hard to discern , so it might not even bother a few audiophilers haha
Ass I say I go by the feelings and those are what resonates in my ears, I simply love gold tonality signature :)

Glad you’re enjoying the demo M5. They’re awesome! Keep posting your thoughts and impressions.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #919 of 6,222
Yep. Can't go wrong. Now buy one lol

@Vitaly2017 for guitars I suggest listening to the live recording of al di meola's Mediterranean Sundance

Try this 2 :)

Asturias, Marcin Patrzalek

Resurrection Blues, Otis Taylor

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #920 of 6,222

You need to hear the PWaudio 1960s before rejecting copper cables lol

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #921 of 6,222
You need to hear the PWaudio 1960s before rejecting copper cables lol

I am highly skeptical on that one, even if everyone saying its the best cable ever. Even the sony k Mod I am willing to do has the pw 1960 and I am hesitant due to that lol

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #923 of 6,222
I am highly skeptical on that one, even if everyone saying its the best cable ever. Even the sony k Mod I am willing to do has the pw 1960 and I am hesitant due to that lol
Had the 1a k plus mod, made all the difference. Demo before doubt is my moto in audio lol

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #924 of 6,222
@Vitaly2017

Told you!

Enjoy your time with the m5.

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #925 of 6,222
I just switched to Edm music and things are quiet shifting big time here. M4 starts to win over m5 in this categorie. I find m4 and trio to be very close match in edm, just that m4 wins over trio with bigger sound and more natural voices just like in m5 vs trio.

I found m4 to be more bassy then m5 and slightly different in treble, weird that in edm m4 has more treble then m5 but in live shows and solos or real instruments plays, m5 has very natural and super satisfying treble very realistic sound.

to me sounds like m4 is the edm oriented and m5 for more audiophilia people :)

yep m4 sounds also better with gold plated silver cable :)

I also Find My Trio to be very V shaped in comparison to m4 or m5, Trio has more accent on treble sparkles as well with a tighter bass, feels a bit more visceral.
I think m4 and m5 are more easy on the ears for long sessions, they are very linear. M4 and trio are super close one to another, m5 is another league and categorie...

M5 super linear and smooth
m4 a bit more V shaped and very good for edm and bassy music.
Trio even more V shaped and has recessed vocals in comparison to m4 even more vs m5. Trio also has more zing in the treble with a metallic resonance, m4 has it to but less apparent. M5 has an estat its completely gone and super natural!

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #926 of 6,222
Had the 1a k plus mod, made all the difference. Demo before doubt is my moto in audio lol

There is absolutely no where I can audition a k mod where I live :frowning2: so its practically a guess. Reading reviews seems like pw 1960 is very similar to my current cable but with further more refinement from what I understood and I should love it since I am very happy with my plussound gold plated silver.

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #927 of 6,222
I got the m4 and m5 in my hands , I was quiet surprised to see it was in metal shells, I thought it be acrylic. I actually love it in its metallic shell, feels and looks extremely highly built and on a very high level of craftsmanship.
The m4/m5 are similar to 64a design, I will admit Fir is amazing. Its just a step a head on every little detail vs my trio. The shape of the shell is so precise it fits into my ear just like a custom! It literally dives into my ear actually, this is the deepest and comfortable fit I ever experienced with an universal!

As it goes for sound, I only got 1 hour so far and M5 cant go out of my ears hahaha, even the poor m4 cant touch m5. M5 is so natural so grandiose. For now all I can say is this is like wearing hd800s headphones in open back feel and also he1 as for treble feel, the voices are very very natural life like. I just am under big impression atm and really enjoying them alot.

I started to test solo and guitars and solo signers in small concerts. Really impressive how everything is perceived with good natural feel and music is so open and free of restriction, just flowing like I had no iems in my ears, very impressive :)

So to be continued folk :)

Congrats on finally getting them for demo! Told you that the M5s would be the way to go when you hear them. They're just a superb + to all areas that give the additional wow factor that is needed to pull them out of the pile of 'great' IEMs and move them into the distinct, standout, and superb category.

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #928 of 6,222
Jomo Trinity, Fitear EST, Wraith, AAW Canary, Elysium, Khan. Just want to know if the majority of the impressions are accurate because most of these, except the elysium, are described as having dark treble due to poor implementation of the EST driver.

Yeah, EE IEMs in general arent really good. They're more of a hype brand to me, no real quality in their IEMs except for the Phantom and original Zeus to me.

To everyone that replied, thank you.

The Trinity's no, I was going to but one ear wasn't working and the shop had to send back to manufacturer to be fixed. The Elysium yes, as well as Canary and Fitear and Wraith.

Yes you are correct in thinking that most of them haven't done the Electrostats correctly - especially many Tri-brids that aren't even TOTL ones, around the $1000 mark from some other companies.

As mentioned in my other posts, the thing that stood out to me about the M5 so much is that you can finally see and understand what the Electrostats are for and why they're in the IEMs. You can clearly hear the difference in how they produce the sound of the higher registers. To me, most other manufacturers just threw in Electrostats because they were all the hype and wanted to jump on the marketing wagon saying they had 'Tri-brids' also. But they don't actually offer the true interests of utilizing the technology properly and for a purpose, rather just a marketing buzzword.

The two main exceptions here to me were the M5 (Immediately noticable to me the moment I started listening) and the Elysium. both of these are capable of showing the flavor and airiness and true purpose of what the Electrostats are included for. The Wraith is a runner up to these two. To me the Wraith wasn't very good the couple times I demo'd, until the shop owner tried to convince me they were any good - he then proceeded to put a together a setup with a multi thousand $ cable as well as DAP - putting the total cost over $10,000, just to get the Wraith to perform at a level that was comparable to the M5 and Elysium. The Wraith in this light, with spaceous/stagey and airy music.. was quite good indeed, expansion was quite large indeed for an IEM.. however it turned me off that to even be able to get them to sound decent you had to start entry level at over $10k, when the Elysium and M5 were capable of showing off their beauty with just about any music and gear you threw at them instantly.

Other Tri-brids aren't really worth writing up about, the ones I experienced were either just badly done (Lancelot, etc.) Or just average IEMs not worth noting that already mostly faded from my memory recollection. I couldn't really tell the purpose of the Electrostats, they were just there, hot and barking up the wrong tree without connecting any of the roots of the music to its base for a proper foundation. Or even worse, just down right turned to nearly off and can't even tell if it's in there and why not just BAs.

My thoughts based at least on my experiences and personal observations upon my TOTL and general IEM search recently.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #929 of 6,222
There is absolutely no where I can audition a k mod where I live :frowning2: so its practically a guess. Reading reviews seems like pw 1960 is very similar to my current cable but with further more refinement from what I understood and I should love it since I am very happy with my plussound gold plated silver.
Oh okay I guess you should be happy with what you have if that's the case

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #930 of 6,222
The Trinity's no, I was going to but one ear wasn't working and the shop had to send back to manufacturer to be fixed. The Elysium yes, as well as Canary and Fitear and Wraith.

Yes you are correct in thinking that most of them haven't done the Electrostats correctly - especially many Tri-brids that aren't even TOTL ones, around the $1000 mark from some other companies.

As mentioned in my other posts, the thing that stood out to me about the M5 so much is that you can finally see and understand what the Electrostats are for and why they're in the IEMs. You can clearly hear the difference in how they produce the sound of the higher registers. To me, most other manufacturers just threw in Electrostats because they were all the hype and wanted to jump on the marketing wagon saying they had 'Tri-brids' also. But they don't actually offer the true interests of utilizing the technology properly and for a purpose, rather just a marketing buzzword.

The two main exceptions here to me were the M5 (Immediately noticable to me the moment I started listening) and the Elysium. both of these are capable of showing the flavor and airiness and true purpose of what the Electrostats are included for. The Wraith is a runner up to these two. To me the Wraith wasn't very good the couple times I demo'd, until the shop owner tried to convince me they were any good - he then proceeded to put a together a setup with a multi thousand $ cable as well as DAP - putting the total cost over $10,000, just to get the Wraith to perform at a level that was comparable to the M5 and Elysium. The Wraith in this light, with spaceous/stagey and airy music.. was quite good indeed, expansion was quite large indeed for an IEM.. however it turned me off that to even be able to get them to sound decent you had to start entry level at over $10k, when the Elysium and M5 were capable of showing off their beauty with just about any music and gear you threw at them instantly.

Other Tri-brids aren't really worth writing up about, the ones I experienced were either just badly done (Lancelot, etc.) Or just average IEMs not worth noting that already mostly faded from my memory recollection. I couldn't really tell the purpose of the Electrostats, they were just there, hot and barking up the wrong tree without connecting any of the roots of the music to its base for a proper foundation. Or even worse, just down right turned to nearly off and can't even tell if it's in there and why not just BAs.

My thoughts based at least on my experiences and personal observations upon my TOTL and general IEM search recently.
Ah that's a shame. Was hoping the canary would be up to par... I guess the elysium is the only other alternative to the M5s, as dark treble for the sake of marketing isn't worth the hype or money to me.

Now all I have to do is have someone compare the Fitear EST for me and I'll be set.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back