Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Feb 8, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #886 of 6,220
It’s Crinacle‘s graph for the M2. I really have little opportunity to try iems before buying so I try to use graphs along with impressions of others to make educated guesses on what I might like..
The impressions of the M2 mentioned make me think I would like them but the graph is pretty extreme so I wonder if it might be best suited for some music much more than others.. It’s just a bit moe extreme than I’ve tried before.
Crinacles other measurements for the FirAudio line seem to have a similar shape and so gibe with the differences mentioned in this thread. This one seems to be quite a departure from the others though.
Tbh I don't really trust crin's graphs. I'll give it another listen when I go to music sanctuary later to order my m3s xD

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #888 of 6,220
oops

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #889 of 6,220
Thanks. I look forward to your impressions... again..:)
IMG_20200209_184035.jpg

No peaky. Used the worst recorded metal stuff and no peakiness perceived. The peak is in the vocal range so if you're referring to treble peakiness it is non existent

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #890 of 6,220
I'm listening to them just now !

The Crinacle graph is pretty accurate.

M2 is obviously Mid centric .

It requiered some power to shine by the way and definitely EQ as far as I'm concerned.

Fortunately, the M2 are very sensitive to EQ, I obtain excellent results with those babies with this EQ on Jriver Media Center 24 :
equal M2.JPG

With this set up, it is a joy to listen to !

Tight firm bass section with soft slam and good textures (I put a bit more bass and I could add even more, M2 bass can handle easely more db), mids are now balanced and fleshy, treble are there without any peak, good definition and nice extension.
This is not a technical/detailed oriented iems but M2 have an excellent soundstage with great width and depth an still good amount of details / Textures.

That is surprising how each iems of Fir Audio M serie are different !

Pretty sure some people could prefer the M2 over the M3 or M4 over M5 etc....

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #891 of 6,220
Hi Guys

I can not find the 2 pin adaptor in the tour package. These things are tiny and easy to misplace. Would all M5 tour participants give a look around for it. Obviously it was not intentional but stuff happens. I should have followed up on the package content better as it went to each participant, my apologies.

Good news

I got the M2's ready to go

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #892 of 6,220
Hi Guys

I can not find the 2 pin adaptor in the tour package. These things are tiny and easy to misplace. Would all M5 tour participants give a look around for it. Obviously it was not intentional but stuff happens. I should have followed up on the package content better as it went to each participant, my apologies.

Good news

I got he M2's ready to go

Hope they are recovered, thanks once again for organizing this!

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #893 of 6,220
Hi Guys

Good news

I got the M2's ready to go

tracked them down

Thanks

Feb 10, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #894 of 6,220
Okay so a while back I posted about how I couldn't hear much difference between DAPs, but now I finally have my hands on one that's tuned quite differently to the DX160/DX228Ex. I have the FiiO M15 right now that I am trying out extensively with my M5 and I can 110% hear where the FiiO is different through the M5s. While the overall signature is quite similar among the DAPs you can hear slight differences. For example the FiiO is a much warmer sound relative to the iBasso's and has some bloat/muffledness (in my opinion) around the mids and it's easily noticeable. I much prefer the iBasso's pair up with the M5 over the FiiO. So I wouldn't fully write off being able to fine tune the sound among different sources just because of the "LID" tech that the FiR's have.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd share that :p

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #895 of 6,220
IMG_20200210_182107~2.jpg

So after having to send these guys back to FiR for a fit adjustment and a ... Unfortunate repair due to my butter fingers.. I'm happy to have these beauties back in my hand and finally burn them in and throw up my full review and comments in comparison to all the other TOTL IEMs out there that I tested and DAPs.

Soon I will do my new beautiful M5's Justice and have a better DAP to play them with.. for now just this setup.

I have a comment to some M5 owners based on my previous experience with the universals and now with my customs.. . Test your M5's with a SE 3.5mm cable. In some ways I feel I was enjoying the SE cable more then the balanced 4.4mm that I have. I tested the universals first mainly with SE and experienced their sound originally that way for awhile. Then, dealer swapped out for a FiR 4.4mm during testing and I found some of the sound lacking in some ways VS the usual rhetoric that "Balanced is always better". I ordered a 3.5mm in addition to my 4.4mm from Bogdan and I'm feeling the 3.5mm a bit more still, similar to my experience with Uni's. I think it just fits and fills the sound profile more. Give it a try if you have the chance - forget the preconceptions and see what you see for yourselves.

A side note - FiR M5 in the best form I've heard it so far was 3.5 mm SE out of a N6ii with E01 module

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #896 of 6,220

So after having to send these guys back to FiR for a fit adjustment and a ... Unfortunate repair due to my butter fingers.. I'm happy to have these beauties back in my hand and finally burn them in and throw up my full reviee and comments on comparison to all the other TOTL IEMs out there that I tested and DAPs.

Soon I will do my new beautiful M5's Justice and have a better DAP to play them with.. for now just this setup.

I have a comment to some M5 owners based on my previous experience with the universals and now with my customs.. . Test your M5's with a SE 3.5 cable. In some ways I feel I was enjoying the SE cable more then the balanced 4.4 that I have. I tested the universals first mainly with SE and experienced their sound originally that way for awhile. Then, dealer swapped out for a FiR 4.4 during testing and I found some of the sound lacking in some ways VS the usual rhetoric that "Balanced is always better". I ordered a 3.5mm in addition to my 4.4mm from Bogdan and I'm feeling the 3.5mm a bit more still, similar to my experience with Uni's. I think it just fits and fills the sound profile more. Give it a try if you have the chance, forget the preconceptions and see what you see for yourselves.

A side note - FiR M5 in the best form I've heard it so far was 3.5 mm SE out of a N6ii with E01 module

Twister also said the E01/N6ii was fantastic with the M5. May have to try it out.

Feb 10, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #897 of 6,220
Twister also said the E01/N6ii was fantastic with the M5. May have to try it out.

I would recommend it. I spent a few hours with class A/B mode and it was quite an event. I only spent a little time in A mode because A/B mode was just so good I wanted to spend more time with it and ran out before really testing A mode. I recommend trying a 3.5mm also - you have to have one for E01 anyways

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #898 of 6,220
Hi folks can someone tell me what bore diameter is the m4 and m5?

Is stock tips from 64a are compatible?
Also final audio type e and spiral dots, symbio's, comply foams.... ?

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #899 of 6,220
Hi folks can someone tell me what bore diameter is the m4 and m5?

Is stock tips from 64a are compatible?
Also final audio type e and spiral dots, symbio's, comply foams.... ?

They are the largest size compatible with 64 audio. Comply foam size I order is Tx-500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back