Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 30, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #796 of 6,218
Every company has its lower end products. Don't let the 1st impression decide things.

No company is all hits.
Yeah but I still wouldn't trust a relatively new company to be able to produce anything neat the quality of the M5.

Jan 30, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #797 of 6,218
Anybody have any insight on how the fir IEMs scale with sources?

I'm fairly limited with only an iPhone and iFi Micro iDSD BL. I don't notice any huge difference, the iDSD BL does add a bit of weight/warmth with the M5 it seems.
I have the n6ii, tested it with the cayin N8. Not a lot of difference but the change from dap to dap was definitely noticeable. Transients like soundstage etc changed, sound sig barely.

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #798 of 6,218
Yeah but I still wouldn't trust a relatively new company to be able to produce anything neat the quality of the M5.

New for us, not for its local audience.

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #800 of 6,218
New for us, not for its local audience.
Okay dude. It's your money anyway, gooduck trying to get triple-A performance out of some random chifi brand.

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #801 of 6,218
Exactly. I wonder what the performance comparison is. curious.

Too bad, I am working overseas currently. Could have tried out the m5 from my local meetup. Someone probably would have it.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #802 of 6,218
Tested the n6ii & N8 vs my own sp1000m And I do noticed audible differences in bass/treble extension, decay, presentation etc. But then I usually here more audible differences with DAPs than cables lol

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #803 of 6,218
Tested the n6ii & N8 vs my own sp1000m And I do noticed audible differences in bass/treble extension, decay, presentation etc. But then I usually here more audible differences with DAPs than cables lol
I think that dap rolling should have a more obvious effect on sound than cable rolling

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #804 of 6,218
I think that dap rolling should have a more obvious effect on sound than cable rolling

Well that’s usually how it’s supposed to be lol

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #805 of 6,218
Well that’s usually how it’s supposed to be lol

But shouldn't Fir Audio's 2nd gen LID technology minimize dap rolling effects?

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #806 of 6,218
But shouldn't Fir Audio's 2nd gen LID technology minimize dap rolling effects?
Summary of points brought up throughout this thread:
-fr will not change, the sound sig of the iem will remain the same
-other aspects such as soundstage, resolution, imaging etc WILL still be affdctsd.

A backread of the thread should answer your questions more thoroughly

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #807 of 6,218
Just do ABC test of SPK, DX228EX and N8 with my M5 plus stock cable. There 3 different sound signatures.

M5 may show a bit more on the bass and treble, but definitely doesn't really change the underlying sound sig of the 3 DAPs. SPK SS still have the better soundstage with the more clinical reference sound. 228EX still shows its musicality with a more intimate vocals. N8 still shows its refinement over the 228EX with a similar musicality.

Probably the 3 DAPS are of similar impedance levels (not really sure about this. Don't shot me if they are not), and hence the LID doesn't really show its impact. But understand if u r stage musicians using wireless receiver with big impedance the LID will be more relevant.

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #808 of 6,218
you do not mention the Erlkonig ! did you auditioned it also before making your choice ?

I thought about trying the Erlkonig but then I had my eyes set on a custom and I didn’t want to be tempted by them as they were definitely out of my budget:). (The elysium already pushed the bar way above the original plan!)

Jan 31, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #809 of 6,218

I've read several opinions recently that FiR is producing some pretty good IEMs, despite being relatively new.

Jan 31, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #810 of 6,218
I've read several opinions recently that FiR is producing some pretty good IEMs, despite being relatively new.
They aren’t really new though, Bogdan has been in the industry for more than a decade now. I think new refers more to companies who’ve just started tuning and making IEMs without much experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back